What linux distro do you guys use for blender and why?

FIRST!!!
turn off the win10 quick boot it is really a type of hibernation and you will NOT be able to read or write to ANY windows partition with it on

second
all linux os’s have ZERO!!! issue writing to a windows ntfs partition
windows however will never be able to read /wright to a ( ext3,ext4,btfs,LVM ,and so on…) linux partition
Microsoft refuses to support FREE and OPENSOURCE formats

– there are a few third party kernel mods for windows that ??? sort of , maybe work .

as to partition sixe
a dos ntfs partition can ONLY!!! have a max of 4 primary partitions
and you have 4

now you can make one of them an EXTENDED partition and but many in there ( reformat the space )
– or
reformat the WHOLE drive to use GPT instead of a dos table
and reinstall win10 and then mint

for JUST the operating system mint really only needs 20 gig
but 50 to 250 is a good option for data and other things

JohnVV thanks for the informative reply. I won’t set up a dual boot until I’m a little further into the warranty period on this machine. And, with the way this HD is partitioned I will measure three times before cutting. I did happen across this through. Once again thanks.

This is old, but I will reply for people who my come by and read this like I did.

I plan to run Blender using a boot USB of something like Puppy Linux. I will use it during long renders for the shorter render times. This is good for me because I don’t want Linux touching my system drive or bootloader.

For Windows 10, the key is to get the Professional version to disable Windows Updates in the Group Policy settings. Beyond that, I’d like to experiment with why people have slower render times in W10 anyway. I have a suspicion that setting Blender to High Priority in the Task Manager and disabling any kind of power management would fix the issues. But, if that still isn’t enough, Puppy Linux.