What matters most to you in life?

I think it’s a question that few of us stop to think about until we lose whatever it is that matters most.

I was just wondering what it is you regard to be the one thing you couldn’t live without.

It could be a loved one, some possession, beauty (though judging by the picture thread, I’m guessing that won’t be a popular choice :P) or being able to fulfill a life-long ambition or even life itself.

For me personally, I think it would be the ability to see. All my life I’ve subconsciously treated my eyes with a lot of care, being afraid to touch them and always shielding them from possible damage. Also, I feel really sorry for people who have lost their ability to see.

I know others are able to cope without eyesight but I don’t think I could. So much of what I do relies on them. The easiest way to find out what matters to you is to try to live without certain things and see how you get on. This is actually how I abandoned organised religion. By living without it, I felt no need to go back to it. I would recommend this practise to anyone as a regular exercise so that we continually adapt our lives into something we appreciate instead of just a habit in which we participate.

As Wordsworth would say:

Habit rules the unreflecting herd

There are other things I’d be afraid to lose such as the ability to hear and touch but I’d probably put eyesight at the top. Either that or losing my mind (just two brain cells to go). I guess what I fear most is being trapped in a helpless situation. Some people have a similar fear but represent it as a loss of personal freedom. To quote Lord of the Rings:

Aragorn: What do you fear, milady? Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

So what is it that matters most to you?

The direction humans are headed in.

Mystery

Hmm I would have to say the ability to reason. As in free will and intelligence i guess.

Besides the obvious first answers of family and friends, etc. without which I would seem like an asshole, I’d have to say music. I’d rather be blind than deaf. Without music… I don’t even want to think about it…

for me it would have to be relationships (friends, family). i dont believe anyone would put anything before this (besides food, sleep, and water). i think as you stated having the basic 5 senses is very nessary (would proably fall in the nessecity group to me? along with water/food/sleep).

i love my job too. i love animating/humor/being a dumbass (big thanks to elysiun for an outlet for that!). i love females/breasts. i love music. i love good movies/tv shows.

but above all that i value, family and friends mean everything to me. and i would garuntee for everyone else too.

the ability to see…what a dumbass :smiley:

Couldnt live without my mum.

I know it a bit pathetic but think about how much your mum does for you right from birth.

I think this thread missed Thanksgiving by a few weeks. :wink:

Anyway, I value my relationships more than anything. Even though sometimes I want everyone to just leave me alone, I know that if they were gone for good, I’d miss them horribly. Without friends or family, there’s no way I’d want to live.

How about something slightly less standard - The ability to die.

Death is the one thing that comes to us all rich or poor - no matter how we live our lives. Death is a great equaliser. Sometimes it seems like the nearest thing to divine justice in an unjust world.

It is interesting to note that perhaps immortality would make us lose all desire to actually be alive. A world where the rich are immortal would not be a world I would want to live in.

So here is something to think about… even it seems like a statement of the obvious. Remember, no one can deny you the right to die - forever at least.

Koba

Well the most thing that matters for me is not to be sick. I was very sick for a about a month. I´m talking about to be that sick that you wish you could end your life. Before that I couldn’t understand why people wanted death help (or whatever its called) and now I do.

Health is the most important in your life. Trust me on this one.

my country!

nah seriously…there is many things, but if I have to keep to something “physical”…I’d say my hands/fingers. 3d is a major part of my life…and I’d have alot of difficulty to live without something like this. Because it’s one of the only thing around that isolate me for a few hours. It’s kind of my way to be free when I want to. :o oh well

but as someone else pointed out, in a more “spiritual” way, it would be my ability to reason. that would be horrible.

you might as well be saying “Being alive is the most important thing in life”

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

Hippie wrote:

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

…yes that is good!! :smiley:

you might as well be saying “Being alive is the most important thing in life”[/quote]

Kinda. But I think he needed to add a little something to that. It’s not only important to stay physically healthy, but also mentally and emotionally as well.

you might as well be saying “Being alive is the most important thing in life”[/quote]

Kinda. But I think he needed to add a little something to that. It’s not only important to stay physically healthy, but also mentally and emotionally as well.[/quote]

If you were mentally ill you wouldn’t notice that.

You haven’t been really sick apparently.

But I don’t blame you for not understanding. Most people on this forum are like 15 years old and thinking that they are invincible. Life is very precious. Take care of what you have. It could end and disappear any day.

My wife and my kids are the only things that matter to me. I could lose everything, but as long as I have them, life is good.

BgDM

Abiding in the Light

I’d have to say that aside from God, Family, health, etc. Music is very important to me. My guitar helps me meditate, reflect, pumps me up or cools me down. Havin’ an argument with ya girlfriend? Just grab the “Other” girlfriend and take hold of her curves, caress her to sing. she don’t want to argue, she just wants to make you happy again.

I’ll agree with Oxman. This better not turn into a religious debate, but without God life would be valueless for me. More than anything I seek to draw closer to God.

Of course, this often inadvertently takes second place to the standards like relationships (actually not terribly important to me- I’m more of an introvert), science and reason, and entertainment (arts, movies, music.)

I find it odd how people pick friends and family as though they have to be included. I’m probably going to sound really cold-hearted but I don’t think my family and friends matter to me beyond anything material. I have lived away from them before and I just wanted to stay away. I find even my closest relationships very false.

i think as you stated having the basic 5 senses is very nessary (would proably fall in the nessecity group to me? along with water/food/sleep).

Well, you say the senses are necessary but some people manage to lead fulfilling lives without them.

i love females/breasts.

Damn, how did I forget that? But then without my eyesight, they would probably lose half their appeal.

the ability to see…what a dumbass :smiley:

Hey I saw that ;). The reason I picked eye sight was really because if someone took away my eyes, I don’t see how I could get any enjoyment out of life. I admit it’s scarce as it is but I would never be able to appreciate beauty again. Think of the movies Kill Bill and that one where Johnny Depp got his eyes cut out. After it, they are helpless. People who get their legs blown off or lose their hearing are still aware of where they are and can crawl to wherever they need to go. I can barely walk down stairs with the lights out.

Being blind would be like being put in solitary confinement for life. Would you use Blender if you could just produce black images?

Interesting viewpoint. I agree with you in many ways.

Yes, health is very important. That’s one reason why I feel strongly in favour of euthanasia. I can’t stand when pro-life people always rally to stop people being killed humanely but would rather let people suffer to justify their own narrow-minded philosophies.

I think there is a significant difference between just being alive and being healthy. Some people live their life in complete agony daily.

That’s one I was considering too having come close to losing one of my arms. Imagine having no arms at all. You couldn’t even scratch yourself or wipe your ass or even well, y’know. Of course if you got a hot girl nurse to look after you then that might be OK but you might get a big, fat hairy gay guy.