What next implemented render do you want next?

(henrymop) #1

Yes, ANOTHER useless question, but I was curious. I was having trouble with my Pythoin scripts, mostly render scripts, always having some error for no good reason(yes, I have installed everything correctly). And I said, man I wish these things were implemented internaly in Blender. So I wanted to know what render you would like implemented most, or if any at all.

Sorry if this question’s annoying.

EDIT: Not sure if this goes in this forum or other software forum…

(theApe) #2

I wouldn’t mind support for a renderman compliant renderer like Aqsis, but I’m also looking forward to the Yafray rewrite. :slight_smile: That might take a good while though…

(henrymop) #3

Ohh, YafRay rewrite, were can I find more info, please?

(SoftWork) #4

Nice all those renderers, but they are not some kind of holy grail. They won’t be any good if your modelling and/or texturing and/or lighting isn’t good. My advice: work on these skills first and you will have great results with (almost) any renderer.

(!Rocky) #5

I agree with SoftWork; however, I wouldn’t mind seeing Toxic support…

(theApe) #6

I thought Toxic was dead?

(!Rocky) #7

What are you, some sort of zombie-hater? :<

j/k

(data65) #8

Move to pixie! :smiley:

(MassTA) #9

IMO good Yafray settings give practicaly the same results as MentalRay/VRay, so i think it would be better to improve Yafray support in blender (add blured reflections, and other stuff that isnt supported in blender, but Yafray can do).

For example - simple example of a Yafray GI test I did few days ago (models are crapy, but its about lighting):
http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/9376/gihighershadqu09prec20emit2gip.th.jpg
There are no lights in the scene, everything is illuminated by GI.

Also Vray/MentalRay, cost money, and i think it would require some licencing fees, to develop a plugin for them.

(lirmont) #10

When you can get results like this in Yafray, tell me: http://www.mentalimages.com/4_4_architecture/images/big/art_of_seduction/_001.jpg .

Granted, I would like to see better support for Yafray, but, like blender, it is STILL changing. Yes, even the more established renderers (read “commercial”) do need an export script/plugin re-write every version, but the sheer amount of features that they offer in their current form (I’m speaking of mental ray, which is what the image provided was rendered with) are substantially greater than other renderers. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the quality renders that Yafray is capable of doing, but when there is more money in a project it tends to have more support/be more well-rounded/flexible/etc.

I’d like to see mentalray incorporated into blender, but I don’t think that will happen, unless blender started handling things like that in plugin form (i.e. the render listbox would be populated from whatever plugins are in a folder, so yafray would have a plugin, mentalray, etc)

Later,
–lir

(Myke) #11

Yes, Yafray is a pretty good render engine. I personally like to work with it and use it a lot but that involves xml editing as well so a better integration into Blender wouldn’t hurt.
As mentioned before, blurred Reflections would help a lot (sometimes, at least).

But it has its limitations.
I personally tried myself on MentalRay tutorials and sadly, I couldn’t find a way to reproduce specific scenes with Yafray. Please take a look at:

and see what I mean. We even asked at the Yafray forums but no solution seemed to be found.
So, a constant development of Yafray is a good thing and one day we’ll have a great render engine capable of (almost) everything the “High end” ones can do.

(MassTA) #12

Heres what i got:
http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/9364/testyafray2hn.th.jpg
After hours of tweaking the settings I’ve come to a conclusion, that the indirect lightning (that illuminetes the temple interior) is there, but is weaker than the one in mental ray, and you need a slider (or something), to increase it somehow, and that slider is missing. :stuck_out_tongue:

(MassTA) #13

Heres what i got:
After hours of tweaking the settings I’ve come to a conclusion, that the indirect lightning (that illuminetes the temple interior) is there, but is weaker than the one in mental ray, and you need a slider (or something), to increase it somehow, and that slider is missing. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Myke) #14

Heres what i got:
After hours of tweaking the settings I’ve come to a conclusion, that the indirect lightning (that illuminetes the temple interior) is there, but is weaker than the one in mental ray, and you need a slider (or something), to increase it somehow, and that slider is missing. :P[/quote]

Yeah, that’s exactly our problem…the light bounces within the temple are too weak in my opinion…

Anyway, mind sharing your settings? It looks like you have used a spot lamp or something…?

(Spin) #15

It is not in your poll (as far as i know). But I want ShineMapping in the next Blender.

Just like BumpMap, I want to control certain areas to have shine in it. A GreyScale map can control how much shine and blend it nicely.

(mzungu) #16

All of Sonix’s tinkering with Maxwell’s got me salivating…

Spin, what you you mean by “shine”? Specular highlights? Reflections? or object illuminance (ie: any object can be a lightsource)?

(Spin) #17

Put it this way, If I model a head and want the lips to be shiny and not the rest of the mesh, what do I do? How about a glass bowl with cake icing smeared in it, you want a shiny bowl, but with semigloss smudge marks. Or a glass window with dried mus stains on it?

A UVmap (alpha type if needed) and a “shineMAP” would be great for a single mesh.

I currently use multiple textures for this, but the effect is somewhat fake looking.

(MassTA) #18

Unfortunatly i havent saved the file with the settings from the picture, but generalu i followed the tutorial (and putted a spot light near the poiny where tutorial tels you), and then i expirimented with various settings. Turning Gamma in Yafray to 1.5 also helped a little.

Spin:
Use the Spec button in Map To panel, to make texture map the shiny spots. You need a grayscale texture just like for bump mapping. Also a RayMir button is there which controls ammount of reflectivity.

P.S. Sorry for double post above, but my internet connection works like sh** lately and i have a lot of timeouts. :-?

(nico) #19

I get very good results with mapping to ‘hard’, sometimes mapping to ‘hard’ and ‘spec’. Mapping to ‘spec’ only never got what I wanted. If you want to go a step farther, you additionally map to ‘raymir’ and decrease the DVAR value.

(Spin) #20

[quote=“nico”]

I get very good results with mapping to ‘hard’, sometimes mapping to ‘hard’ and ‘spec’. Mapping to ‘spec’ only never got what I wanted. If you want to go a step farther, you additionally map to ‘raymir’ and decrease the DVAR value.[/quote]

I tried your settings and they almost sort of work. Imagine a fresh wet shiny stroke of glossy paint on a dull primer-coated surface, in the sun. That’s what I want.