What other software do you use alongside Blender?

I’m waaay at the other end of the spectrum. I’m dealing with engineering-type models from a variety of sources. These are consolidated using Autodesk Navisworks products for rendering stills and animation. Blender is currently coming in after the fact for some editing and post-processing. I would certainly prefer to be working in Blender for the rendering, especially for materials, animation, and camera control purposes, but getting the content into Blender is proving to be too impractical.

Houdini, Painter, Photoshop, Marvelous Designer.

GiMP, 3D Coat and Silo.

Microsoft Paint for the win. :slight_smile:

3Dcoat, Substance Painter & Designer, Unity 3D, Krita, Affinity Photo. Plus countless ones I’m currently forgetting.

Substance, Octane, Gimp, 3d-Coat

It feels as if there are not many GNU + Linux users here. As such, we have less options with regards to 3DCC. These are my main work horses:

Blender
Palemoon
Cinelerra + LMMS + SunVox + ffmpeg
Geany + TCC
Godot
GCC + other gnu compiling programs

Also, because I do multi-lingual projects (Manga, Music, Movies, VFX, Games) I need to create my own language input / translator programs.

Gimp
Inkscape
Unity Personal :smiley:

Gimp
Audacity

The software I am using now.

3D ------------------------------------- Blender 2.79 dev.
Image post-processing ------------- GIMP 2.10 dev.
Texture Creation -------------------- Genetica 4
Music/Sound ------------------------- Mixcraft 8
Game creation ----------------------- Godot 3.1 dev.
Small sound tweaks ----------------- Audacity

3D Coat - Love this Program.
Blender/Modo
Affinity Designer/Photo
World Machine
PFTrack
Davinci Resolve with Fusion
Vue - less these days due to World Machine
Substance Painter/Designer - less these days due to 3D Coat
Zbrush - less these days due to 3D Coat

I’m anti subscription, so no Adobe/Autodesk products for me.

I work in the games industry and although we have a Maya/Painter pipeline, I use Blender for all my modeling and UV. I only wish there were a bridge between Blender/Maya for faster iteration.

@jpthrash
There is none that supports UVs. But if you just want to send simple polygon models back and forth i would suggest this plugin/script:

No first hand experience using it (not a Maya user), i hope it works for you.

I have a very flat and reduced pipeline at the moment for my only project.

I use Blender (obviously), Substance Painter and Unreal Engine 4.
That’s 90% of it.

Photoshop, Krita, Substance Designer, Affinity Designer make up the rest of it.

I also have an arsenal of compositors and VFX tools which i don’t use atm since i am working with a realtime engine.

Natron, Fusion + Resolve, Nuke and Houdini.

Thanks Romanji for the link. I did test that script when it first came out, very handy, if only had support for UVs.

Hey same situation with me. Always Blender for modeling and UV when working with Maya. I also use Blender a lot for creating and sculpting Blend Shapes for Maya rigs. Either Blender or ZBrush. But normally ZBrush licenses are strictly rationed.
I’ve found fbx the most reliable link between Maya and Blender so far. Even if the Blender implementation is incomplete. For clean export of meshes it seems fine. But would be good to know others views on Blender Maya workflows.

Of course I always freeze transforms and delete history on everything I bring in from Blender though just in case. But it can be annoying when needing to bat stuff back and forth. But I still prefer this as I find it more intuitive and fast to model and sculpt things in Blender.

I am trying to create a workflow at home that gives the same quality tools that I get at work, but that is opensource or indie. I specialize in modeling and texturing. Here’s where I am at:

Blender & Houdini Indie for creating assets
Blender for look dev and rendering
Substance Indie for texturing
Zbrush (which is not indie but I bought ages ago when it was cheap) for sculpting
Krita -painting
Natron -image editing and comp

That’s an affordable but powerful tool set. Still lots to learn on the Blender and Houdini front though.

@Toka
I have a Maya FBX preset in Blender, Everything default with export selected and apply transforms ticked on, works nicely but still slow to go back and forth :slight_smile:

Use b3d daily for industrial design concept work. Have all kinds of licenses for 3DCC. Most used in my pipeline- Rhino and Solidworks for 3d nurbs modeling (Surface design for CAID models) and moi3d (stellar tessalator) to shuttle files between poly and nurbs.

Using Blender professionally for VFX work. We use it for tracking, light modeling, texturing and rendering. Not much of a modeler, we typically download pre-built assets to modify and comp into shots.

As for extra software:
Photoshop for textures
Natron for Compositing

I’ve tried switching to GIMP, but I’ve spent too many years with Photoshop.

I work in the 3D animation industry and I try to work mainly with opensource software.
We work in a small office with a small team (5/11 people ) and we regularly use :
Blender : for most of of the CG work.
DJV-view : for image sequence playing.
CGRU/Afanasy : for the renderfarm.
Krita : for texture editing and photo retouching.
Gimp : as krita is getting better and better, I don’t use it often.

Some tools that we use once in a while , or want to use more often :
Shotcut : A lighweight video editor, seems a bit buggy and limited, but work great for quick edits.
Natron : A great nodal compositor, I use it often, but not yet on a daily basis or as a main tool inside a production.

Some great tools that are not CG related, but used in production :
GNU-Linux : for the operating system.
Atom : for scripting as we’ve made a lot of python scripts to automate a lot of things.
Fabric : a python library that allow to administrate / install and configure all the computer in the office at once.
BeeBeep : a network / lan messenger, to chat with people inside the office.
SyncThing : a peer to peer file sharing, similar to dropbox but without a central server. Looks like bittorent sync but work better to me.

Seriously, Chrome with youtube tab and google search open to locate tricks/tips and simply remind myself on how to do things I rarely do.

For references use Windows Photo though I want to start using that reference viewer.

All other activities like texturing are done purely in Blender. And activity that takes me out of the tool feels like it is breaking my flow…