What´s Autodesk up to now?

Seems Autodesk jumps on the free tools market too. Rumors have it it will be a free* tool.
(*free as Autodesk pleases to define it)

http://www.123dapp.com/

Even for a free tool, it doesn’t look very good.

“Free” is a term used lightly these days…

hhmmmmmmmm. i’ll look into it when its finished.

Cardboard cutouts

If it’s free, I daresay it’ll be oversimplified. I use some of their proper products, and they’re generally pretty nice, but i don’t really know what direction autodesk is trying to go in (maybe 2?)

As long as they don’t make false open source claims, else Ton will have to &%$#@-slap them again :smiley:

Next thing you know they’ll unveil an ‘Autodesk customer for life, from 1 to 100 years’ plan.

You would start being an Autodesk customer before age one with Autodesk Keybash (bash the keyboard and watch fun things appear on screen), then at age two with Autodesk Scribble and Autodesk Block (scribble an image onto the screen and build with virtual versions of popular blocks like the alphabet blocks), switching to various, more complex products until you buy Autodesk Max/Maya/XSI and become a paying customer.

Later, at age 100, Autodesk can help you again with their new products just for the elderly, Autodesk Woodshop (work with virtual wood and have it made for you to make it real), Autodesk Mindshape (keep your brain sharp), and when you’re writing your will, Autodesk Casket and Gravestone designer. :stuck_out_tongue:

that would have to be a devoted 3D artist for you. funny though. THE AUTODESK INSURANCE COMPANY!

They’re really trying to turn their public image around… hey I can’t blame them, and it’s starting to work on me! (free copy of maya for 3 years as a student will do that!)

They could just bring Maya PLE back rather than make a new cardboard cut-out application.

Available at http://students.autodesk.com/ with a 3 year educational license:

AutoCAD
AutoCAD Architecture
AutoCAD Civil 3D
AutoCAD Electrical
AutoCAD for Mac
AutoCAD Map 3D
AutoCAD Mechanical
AutoCAD MEP
AutoCAD P and ID
AutoCAD Raster Design
AutoCAD Revit MEP Suite
AutoCAD Structural Detailing
Autodesk 3ds Max
Autodesk 3ds Max Design
Autodesk Alias Automotive
Autodesk Alias Design
Autodesk Ecotect Analysis
Autodesk Green Building Studio
Autodesk Impression
Autodesk Inventor Professional
Autodesk Inventor Publisher
Autodesk Maya
Autodesk MotionBuilder
Autodesk Mudbox
Autodesk Navisworks Manage
Autodesk Quantity Takeoff
Autodesk Revit Architecture
Autodesk Revit Structure
Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis Professional
Autodesk Showcase
Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics
Autodesk SketchBook Designer
Autodesk SketchBook Pro
Autodesk Smoke for Mac OS X
Autodesk Softimage

You can register with “home schooling” and get the license for 3 years for all PLE

Or you could use Blender instead.

i like your plan better.

Yeh why bother to look at an industry standard package when you get the chance to try it for free. You might accidentally broaden your horizont.

Yeah, who needs high class, expensive software for a free price. Geez, you’d have to be an IDIOT to want that. (sarcasm doesn’t work over the internet)

<sarcasm>Use sarcasm tags.</sarcasm>

Thanks Arexma. Industry standard software should remain something that every 3D artist should consider, but of course Blender is very good (I’ve worked with Maya’s crash-tastic reference system enough). And it doesn’t hurt to take ideas for features from key players (Softimage ICE anyone?) for blender in the long run.

In autodeks’s defence, a lot of their professional software is very good. As far as i know, solidworks and autodesk inventor are the two main 3d solid body CAD systems. I think it’s great that they’re giving away some of them.

I know it sorta makes students dependant, but who cares about that? They’d only pirate it otherwise.

AutoDesk’s Philosophy…
Industry standard; by assimilation…

March 31, 1997 Softdesk Inc.
May 6, 1998 Genius CAD-Software G.m.b.H.
March 16, 1999 Discreet Logic Inc.
April 22, 1999 VISION Solutions
January 24, 2001 Gentry Systems
September 24, 2001 Buzzsaw
February 21, 2002 Revit Technology Corporation
August 6, 2002 CAiCE Software Corporation
December 18, 2002 truEInnovations, Inc
March 4, 2003 Linius Technologies, Inc
February 24, 2004 MechSoft, Inc.
March 2005 COMPASS systems GmbH
May 10, 2004 Unreal Pictures
June 10, 2004 AVEVA
December 17, 2004 CAD ISV
June 16, 2005 Colorfront Ltd.
July 6, 2005 c-plan
August 22, 2005 Solid Dynamics, SA
October 17, 2005 Alias Inc. (Maya Wavefront .OBJ File format)
August 6, 2007 Skymatter Inc (Mudbox)
August 9, 2007 NavisWorks, Inc.
August 20, 2007 Opticore AB
August 28, 2007 PlassoTech (CAE)
November 25, 2007 RobobatMay 1, 2008 Moldflow Corporation
May 7, 2008 Kynogon SA and REALVIZ SA
June 26, 2008 Square One Research (Ecotect)
October 23, 2008 Avid’s Softimage, Co.
December 17, 2008 ALGOR, Inc.
December 2009 VisualTAO (PlanPlatform)
February 17, 2011 Blue Ridge Numerics, Inc.

Resistance is… sublime…