what should i do

i was wandering if i should use blenders game engine or get another one that is free because blender looks easy to use and make models but the game engine doesent look very strong like if i make a object and i go up to it with my actor and press a button and make the object talk can i do that stuff with blender because all the games i played were like quick games and i want to make a commertial like game just not as long or as good graphics just that kind of game and i didn’t know if i wanted to get to know python becaue i know alittle c++ and i wanted to get to know that but if blender is really worth it i will stay with that what do you think

What do you mean by talk? Walk up to the guy and actually have his mouth moving and stuff or just some text displaying the conversation on the screen. I think both can be accomplished in Blender.

Anyhow’s both should be able to be accomplished in Blender. Now the hard part would be the one where you actually lipsync the character with the words he’s saying. Maybe I’ve stopped playing that much video games, but I haven’t really seen many commercial games that lipsync’s a voice like they do in a movie.

The thing you should be considering is the amount of objects and polys you want to have onscreen. Blender is good for many generic applications it’s just that when they’re too many objects or too many polys the framerate starts dropping.

Huh, so you know a little C++, then learning python shouldn’t be too hard. The most you’ll ever do is probably use functions, none of that class stuff. However, if this is not just a hobby, but a roadway to actually becoming a game designer, you should really learn C++. Never hurts to know more than 1 language.

Jason Lin

thanks i think i will stick with blender

I think that’s wise, unless your dealing with a team or something. Blender makes it possible for one person to write a fairly complex game. It’s nearly impossible to do with some of the other engines. You’ll need to get your models working decently, import them into the engine, get the physics, etc worked out. Then there’s game design and scripting. At least with me, it became impossible. Blender is an excellent modeler and your models are right there in the engine when your finished and ready to program. Something doesn’t quite work, just remodel or reanimate. Many things can be simply wired to blocks, others need simple Python code. If you need duplicates the logic gets copied, too. Scene overlays are easy. It’s great. If you know c++, you can learn Python in no time. Those games might look simple to you, but take a look at the games made by engines like Ogre, etc. Most of them are in the works and will be forever, and those are teams.

Hmm…That was quite possibly the longest sentence I’ve ever seen. :wink:

Hmm…That was quite possibly the longest sentence I’ve ever seen. ;)[/quote]

and thats one of the longest posts ive ever seen you do :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah…unless u have a dedicated programmer that do the job, u’ll better stick withe blender or quest3d (not free) because it’s easier than programming/scripting for a game engine.

if u want to become a programmer then it’s better to jump into c++ and use an opensource engine.
if u want to be a gameartist then stick with blender and forget advanced programming, cause nobody can do both job correctly.

Or go to atari and learn unreal scripting :slight_smile: no c++ but they made there own code do create games. Ofcourse c++ is used to add features to the Unreal 2.3 engine. That engine handles complete cities in smoke and fire without going to drop it’s frame rate. No idea how they do that.

and thats one of the longest posts ive ever seen you do :P[/quote]
Longer is not always better. It’s better to be concise and short, than long-winded and redundant. :wink:

Longer is not always better. It’s better to be concise and short, than long-winded and redundant. ;)[/quote]
ok :smiley:

ok :smiley:

Longer is not always better. It’s better to be concise and short, than long-winded and redundant. ;)[/quote]
ok :D[/quote]

It’s not really a sentence, he didn’t even put a period at the end. (In fact there’s no punctuation at all in that post.)

mrdoobyman, I’d recommend using Blender. You can make some basic games using just logic bricks, then do some more advanced stuff using Python. When you get into really advanced stuff, you can use C++ to modify Blender’s source and add new features. (It’s perfect for all experience levels :slight_smile: )

BTW, what’s the record for nested quotes here on elysiun?

It’s not really a sentence, he didn’t even put a period at the end. (In fact there’s no punctuation at all in that post.)

mrdoobyman, I’d recommend using Blender. You can make some basic games using just logic bricks, then do some more advanced stuff using Python. When you get into really advanced stuff, you can use C++ to modify Blender’s source and add new features. (It’s perfect for all experience levels :slight_smile: )

BTW, what’s the record for nested quotes here on elysiun?[/quote]

I don’t know. Perhaps we should check all previous postings! :wink:

I know that in BWWARRG, they had like 40 nested quotes or something, and then theeth deleted the page. :wink:

But seriously…I hope the game engine gets some good features soon, graphics-wise. :wink:

I don’t know. Perhaps we should check all previous postings! ;)[/quote]

Boxes!!! YAY!

Pooba

Boxes!!! YAY!

Pooba[/quote]

YOu should say to your mom that you haven’t got soap and she should kiss a bear’s ass. That should show her who’s boss…

Boxes!!! YAY!

Pooba[/quote]

YOu should say to your mom that you haven’t got soap and she should kiss a bear’s ass. That should show her who’s boss…[/quote]

This is so great let’s keep this up we can set a world record!