What The Heck Is It? And How Can I Improve???

the bear looks fantastic, joey! congratulations! :slight_smile:

oh, i wish i could help you with the printing issue, but i have sadly no experience in this. hopefully someelse jumps in, and explains…

where are the artefacts??, at the thin parts like the ears and tail? if yes, you could make a vertexgroup that contains all vertices, except those from tsil and ears, make solidify on this vertex group only, and close then the inner holes. this way tail and ear do not have inner “walls”’ so to say and would get printed solid.

http://imgur.com/tGzRgN1
Those are the artifacts :wink: And you have a fantastic idea there! :smiley: If only I wouldn’t freeze up in edit mode :frowning: See, I have 4 million verticies in this sculpt, and it’s ruining my computer :frowning: Any ideas? A lot of people say 4 million is outrageous, but any less shows a real lack of detail :frowning: What do I do?

Thanks again -Joey

That’s looking real good, Joey! I no longer think it is a pig :slight_smile: That’s really cool of Doris to offer all the advice that she did. Looks like it could use a bit more detail in the eyes and nose. And I think the eyes could stand to come apart a little bit and down on the face, just beside the bridge of the nose. Bing or google “Bear Face” and you should see what I mean.

I actually did bing Bear face, and got this… Though I do agree with you :wink: Um, it’s finished though now except for the whol solidify modifier thing :expressionless:

Thanks! :smiley:

Are you merely wanting a solidify modifier so you have “walls” for printing a hollow object?

Yeah, why?
I’m actually redoing the sculpt, and applying doris’s method before hand :smiley: And, with the eyes, I’ll take some of your advise as well this time :wink:

One thing you may have been able to do is to add a mesh inside (like a sphere and scale it out on certain axes) and reverse the normals. I think that may work. But sometimes starting from scratch can be more rewarding.

Um, I added a solidify modifier, applied it, and deleted the inside head, and tail… After that, I closed up the ends, and began to sculpt! :smiley:

hi joey, glad you found a workaround meanwhile. second go of sculpting will turn out even better :slight_smile:

Thanks doris, but I’m not sure if that is true… :frowning: Here’s the result:

I took it down to 860,000 verts, however, I lost a good bit of detail… :frowning:

What I suggest you do is you model a high-and a low poly version (low-poly can just be a decimated version), then you use a solidify modifier on the low-poly, delete the outward-facing geometry, and then join it with the high-poly version. Now you should have a detailed bear on the outside, and a low-poly bear on the inside, hopefully without artifacts.

Really nice model! The paws and mouth could use some attention :stuck_out_tongue:

hi joey, similar as bjarkedude suggests:
you could take the wonderfully sculpted highpoly bear and join it with the innermesh you made for the second bear, just delete the outside sculpt of that. then in object mode select both, the highploy bear and the reniaing innershel, and join them (ctrl j). for tht you do not need to go into edit mode, and it should give you the wonderful sculpt with an innershell as you need it…

That might have worked, however, I’ve already submitted it :eek: Do think it’s too crappy? I value your opinion VERY HIGHLY in fact, I gave a link to your website in the description of my model… I hope you don’t mind… If you want to see here’s a link: http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/miniatures/figurines/grizzly-bear--3#tab-print

So, what do you think? I’m in a Kids only challenge, but the competition is pretty rough… Think I have a chance? Thanks :smiley:

BTW, if you want your name, and link removed from the description, I will… Just say so :wink:

Good ideas, but you’re a little late :frowning:

hey thank you, joey, for the mention, very nice of you :slight_smile:
oh, i think you will have good chances with this bear, yes, the highpoly was a little nicer in the details, but this one still has the great strong forms, and it reads well as bear. this is more important for good sculpture… you did a great job, i wish you good luck for the challenge! :slight_smile:

I think it looks really good now. While the fur on the first model looks more detailed, I think what you have on the second is pretty realistic. Good job, Joey!

Scrolled through the thread and thought that it might be a good idea to practice observation, which is very important. Not just for sculpting but always when using any reference material to gather information.

Perhaps a good exercise would be to go back to bear references and highlight the listed features on them with a pen. If you can’t use virtual pen in an image editor or find it difficult, could print those references out and use a real pen/marker. Maybe even put notes on the side that tell what the highlights mean.

Then on the next project you could gather references and again highlight features that makes the thing what it is. Subject matter could be anything but some are harder than others in that the features are very subtle. Couple of examples: If it’s a cat, could observe what attributes make a cat and why it’s not a tiger. Or if it’s a car, could try to determine what makes that particular make, model, type and what separates it from other existing cars.

If you know to look for the most obvious features from the references, your model gets those features too. If you catch features that are subtle but still characteristic for the subject matter, then you’ve nailed it.

Of course if doris suggest to change something, do that. You can trust her written advice more than your own eyes, it’s just a matter of comprehending what is being told. No buts =)

Thanks Doris! :smiley: This model would’ve been a TOTAL fail without you :slight_smile:

Thanks Sweenist! :wink: And is the head now a little more to your liking?