What things will eventually become standard?

Yes, but a necessary component of my Rapidly Descending Over-- well, can’t really say the name, it’ll give to much away. BWAA-HAA-HAA-Haaa…

Well, actually, robots are an amazingly integrated part of our society already, not even counting general purpose computers. ATM’s, photo printing kiosks, unattended fuel pumps, and on and on and on. Heck, the US Department of Defense has been giving out cash prizes to inventors who can develop robot cars. They really are gonna be everywhere, and pretty darn soon.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I think some parts of the novel “1984” might become reality. Big Goverment is going to watch us as if we were rats in a box being experimented on. We’re heading there, though it’s still a while away. But every day we get one step closer… Before you know it, Google Earth will have live maps so I can watch you sunbathing in your garden, traveling to work or shopping at “Joe’s - Tools for BIG MEN”.
Technology will aid in that quest. Thanks to that chip near your brain stem, I can know even what you’re thinking about (since we will have deciphered the way the human brain works) and crime prevention à la “Minority Report” will become possible, though the question will be “are intending to commit a crime and actually commiting the crime two seperate things or is one as punishable as the other?”
Think about it… someone will try… and such technology is ALWAYS used for evil purposes.

One thing I hope is that patents and copyright will become of less importance… really… I don’t CARE if you and you alone have the right to use the name “Harry Potter”… nor do I think it’s right YOU ALONE can use that fantastic piece of nanotechnology. Not trying to be a communist here.

uhgg, this happenes every time there’s a thread like this. does no one read manga, or watch anime? do people hate japanese culture or something? seriously, you should all read Ghost in the Shell, or watch the television series. the topics discussed in that series are relevent to most of the posts on this thread. just think, advancements in prosthetics creating replacement limbs that looks and operate just like the real thing. our brains encased in a computerized buffer layer, that allows us to directly communicate with any device that has the appropriate plug. no more individual computers, digital memory is interchangable with human memory, the net links all minds together (in an on-demand kinda way, not always), and we can create digital avatars of any style to represent ourselves when whe traverse the net. really, this is a wonderful manga, movie, and tv series. everyone interested in a plausible future, along with serious discussions on what is human, is totally missing out. sorry for that rant/rave, i’m a fan of japanese culture…

I hate japanese manga and japanese culture. So there. Watcha gonna do RagManga?

I really hope that in the future the computer will have no fans and that they will take at most 100 watts.

Uh, a flying car with no seat belt.

qft

It’s ruining our TV and preteen/teen culture.

Stupid Japanese culture…

and, as usual, you people are probably thinking of the mass produced crap that makes it to saturday mornings. oh, and btw, as if family guy, american dad, robot chicken, squidbillys, and aqua teen hunger force are the perfect role models for america’s youth. at least what i watch is thought provoking, and not vulgar crap thrown together to try and make people laugh like uncultured slobs (i do give props to the creators of robot chicken, though. that’s a lot of hard work for 15 min episodes). whatever. in a more relavent direction, i’m waiting for record companies and hollywood studios to just give up with the copywrite crap, and just slap their content on the internet, through community services with fee’s attached. actually, how about a government tax for downloading free content. that’s bound to happen sooner or later. also, valarking, using single letters for words does not make your posts any less insulting or profane. i understand that i also curse on occasion, but you have something like that in most every post. just politely asking that you tone it down a little (and no, that doesn’t mean that you can continue but just type in really tiny font).

“qft” means “quoted for truth”.
Profanity at it’s worst?

Oh yeah, you said “crap” 3 times, my ears/eyes hurt now.

now i’m wondering what valarking meant with those letters, cause i know two meanings for them, and assumed the worst. and i’m not talking about how i spoke on this thread, but on several others. sometimes i get out of hand, but i’ve refrained from those “big” words that dj’s can’t say on regular radio