What would it take?

I’ll start out by saying that I know nothing about coding. I have been very curious lately about what it would take to take Blender Game Engine to the level of the top level game engines. I’m not for one moment complaining about BGE. I am having a great time with it as my skills grow. I love the fact that I can do everything in one software package.

So, let’s say I just won a lottery, and I wanted to fund BGE develpoment. What would it take to get a Cryengine level game engine in Blender? One paid developer, for one year full-time? A team of 10 fulltimers? How much money would it take? If every BGE user donated $100… would that be enough? Is anyone working on BGE development full-time? Let’s pool our money, hire some pro developers ( or pay the guys working on it now) and get this done.

As much as I would love that possibility, I doubt Blender would still be open source (and free of charge) if the engine got that advanced. Blender has always been the poor man’s 3D software, and I hope it stays that way.

I’ll start out by saying that I know nothing about building space ships. I have been very curious lately about what it would take to take a Honda Civic to the level of the top level space ships. I’m not for one moment complaining about the Honda. I am having a great time with it as my skills grow. I love the fact that I can drive it on planet earth.

So, let’s say I just won a lottery. What would it take to make the Honda into a NASA level space craft? One paid mechanic, for one year full-time? A team of 10 mechanics? How much money would it take? If every Honda driver donated $100… would that be enough? Is anyone working on this full-time? Let’s pool our money, hire some pro mechanics ( or pay the guys working on this now) and get this done.

I am down, lets do both,

Can we start with a Delorean? it just seems like a better idea…

(space)
step 1 ( remove all glass and inner chasis)

Bge
step 1 (modernize render and rasterizer)

Space
Step 2 (weld in aluminum where all window were and add carbon fiber support struts connecting failure points)

bge
Step 2 (Add more logic for dealing with lists, item keys, and setting properties using sensor outputs and multithread logic)

Space
step 3 -make large ceramic dish and wind a 8 powerful solenoids into it it’s leading edges 45/back and sideways, pocket in center full of rocket fuel

Bge
step 3- Mix Blender into game and make GPL insanity of in game edit-ification,

Space step 4
A. Launch Ceramic dish with coilgun, (with Delorean on tow hitch)
B. Initiate rocket burn spining up dish
C. Solenoids repel plasma while generating current and rotational drag/control
D. current accelerates plasma backward allowing attitude control

launch BGE2

http://imageserver.moviepilot.com/-0bdc44e0-7d86-477f-8ce7-0d5d6e829ae7.jpeg

Please stay on topic.

Sarcastic statements look quite funny at the first sight, but buy this on the costs of others and create resistance. Beside of that they are simply not helpful and can be misunderstood. [Yes, I can’t hold my sarcastic side that often as I like]

If you disagree, it is better to explain why you disagree. If you want to be even more helpful, you could suggest other/better options.

My statement:

I guess you mean to improve the BGE somehow.

And here is the real problem. “Cryengine level” - what do you mean with that?

One of the first steps to a successful project is to define objective goals. Otherwise you can’t even tell if the project is successful or not.

When you know what you want, you can look for someone that know how to achieve these goals. Yes, money can help, but is no guaranty for success.

No, money does nothing, people do. That is the reason, why people donate money to the Blender Foundation, as the people at the Blender Foundation are able to decide where it is worth to spend the resources (people, time, money). Are they perfect? No, but I guess they can do that much better than I can do.

To answer your question:
If you donate money
-> you need to know to whom
-> goals should be defined and agreed
-> skilled team members needs to be assigned
-> development can start
-> you might get what your are aiming for (see goals), maybe not, most-likely just a part of it

I think a little less would have sufficed but it was fun. :smiley:

To be honest that’s not really comparable as there are immensely more people, software and infrastructure involved in creating a video game than just a game engine.

In BGE’s case even 1% of that is a huge money that would fund BGE development for years, they could first rewrite and clean the core so that future contributions would be easier and then start slapping in some big buck features. But of course no 600 000 USD is going to fall out of sky for BGE so it’s pretty pointless thought.

But as outlined by others I also think comparing BGE to bleeding edge engines is just ignorance. People make a game on BGE and think “well that looks bad” and then they look at something like Crysis 3 and think “that looks good” and conclude it must be because of the engine.

No it’s not. Creating high quality detailed textures/shaders/models/animations/audio an takes time and no one guy is able to ever make something like Crysis. Even if you had an engine with all the eye candy you want you are never going to have the time to create enough content to fill it even if you spent your lifetime with the project. Your game is going to look worse than Crysis because you made it alone as a novice in X hundred hours instead of a number of experienced people working for X hundred thousand hours.

In fact it is already hard to cap out BGE’s performance working alone if you make things properly and know how to optimize.

CryEngine is only $10 a month. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why does BGE need to be like CryEngine anyway? CryEngine is the perfect engine for making Crysis, and other visually stunning games with cool physics effects, but if you only have a team of 5 developers, even if they’re working full-time, cutting-edge graphics shouldn’t, and can’t, be a major priority. Personally, I’d be happy just to see BGE attain success as an engine for small indie projects.

A very, very powerful computer, maybe?

Yep, it was a serious question, from a newby. I simply wanted to know what it takes to develop a game engine. I did not mean to imply that anything was wrong with BGE. I love using it… it’s way more advanced than I’ll probably ever need. That being said, I have played around with the Cryengine SDK, and using the stock assets, was able to make some really good environments.

Although I really appreciate the information if I ever decide to turn a passenger car into a spaceship, I did not really ever get an answer to my question. If someone wanted to develop a game engine with the capabilities of Cryengine, and fully integrate it into Blender… what would it take in personel, and how much money would it take?

Talking about money makes no real sense in this case. A better measure is to talk in manhours/mandays/manweeks as that is what developers use to estimate for a project. It makes even more sense in an open source project as participants do not get paid the same as in commercial software development.

If I understand you right, you want to know how long it might take to embed a different game engine into Blender?

Lets see what work is necessary:

1. create a data converter (Blender data to Game engine data)
  2. bundle the Blender code with the Game Engine code (if that is even possible/allowed)
  3. add editors to create the Game Engine Specific data (logic)

There might be more that I do not have in mind right now.

A very rough estimation:

1. 5 weeks
  2. 3 weeks
  3. 3 months +

indeed only by skilled developers with deep knowledge of Blender and the other Game Engine. The likelihood is that it takes much longer.

(this is no offer ;))

Some dev’s are suggesting ripping out BGE for ???

I don’t like there kind around these parts.

Whatever it took to develop CryEngine, at least.

Looking at history: Crytek was founded in 1999, and they have been working on CryEngine ever since. We’re talking about a piece of software that was actively developed for more than 10 years, by teams of highly skilled industry professionals, in a company that had (and still has) deep ties to all the relevant hardware vendors.

The fact that they were well funded is almost like a side-note.

I apologize if I seemed flippant with my earlier posts, but I think they made a fairly relevant point: Modern game engines represent some of the most complex systems devised by man, yet people have this impression that similar systems could perhaps be built by a few well paid hackers, in a matter of months.

Thanks Goran, and Monster. Knowing how difficult it must be to develop software/game engines, the fact that Blender/BGE is open source and free makes it all the more impressive.

Still, it seems that donations for Blender sort of just trickle in to the developers. If I ever win a lottery, I’m going to donate a huge amount all at once. Blender has been a great hobby for me. Short of someone donating a huge sum of money, is there anything that can be done to raise loads of money all at once, so the developers can throw big resources at Blender/BGE?

If you feel like you’re in debt you can always learn C/C++ and donate your time which will be more than enough :slight_smile:

I’m actually learning C++. I’m making my own game with it and SFML. A 3D FPS. C++ is so much easier and so much more worth your time than C. I love making a game with C++!