what's a good car to start modelling with?

So I know basic modelling, can make some decent stuff…And for a long long long time I had wanted to model cars and I was wondering, what is a good car to start on?
People with car modelling experience please guide me.

The classic white or black rape van.

thats too basic…don’t want vans or trucks, a car, a proper car plz…

I would suggest you Dodge Carger 1969. Clean lines, relatively simple design for modelling and of course mythical muscle car status.https://www.google.si/search?q=dodge+challenger&hl=sl&rlz=1C2ECBA_slSI467SI467&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Y_IpUZjIDsTkswbezoDIAg&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1454&bih=713#hl=sl&rlz=1C2ECBA_slSI467SI467&tbm=isch&q=dodge+charger+1969&revid=2046810303&sa=X&ei=nfIpUc_aLMvQsgaspYCIDQ&ved=0CEcQgxY&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.Yms&fp=5f8a62d7a15685d9&biw=1454&bih=713

And how do I do the front grill? using arrays or some other way??

more suggestions are welcome…

I originally started with audi A8, but got fed up when after modelling the bonnet, I realized the background images are not perfectly matching…
Later someone at blender.org/forum wrote me a simple script/addon to make all the images the same scale…Since then I never bothered…now I’m confused, so many to choose from and they all look equally complex, and the simple ones are $hit cars no one likes in real life…

If you can, consider buying Car Modeling from CG Masters at http://www.cgmasters.net/training-dvds/car-modeling-and-texturing/

It is a great tutorial, a bit expensive but nevertheless and good learning start for all your future (car) modelling projects.

I need a 1967 AMC Rambler modeled. Please start there and post the results here.

Thank you.

PS: It should look like my friend Rik’s car.

The Porsche 550 is a great choice. Lot’s of reference out there, and it has that roundish shape that’s easy to build with subsurface modeling.

http://type550.com/

I would suggest a car you like, are already familiar with and one you can get, at the very least, 50 to 100 images of. The references also need to be of sufficient resolution that there are no ambiguities when you look at a part.

Sometimes familiarity with an item can allow one to make mistakes due to errors in our memory.

It can mean going and taking a look at the real car, getting pictures of it; so it is sometimes best to avoid one’s favourite supercar - unless it’s in the garage /nod. :stuck_out_tongue:

Simple cars, from a modelling perspective, are a myth. Some are easier, but never easy.

Don’t expect good results; indeed, poor results will help you.

Post your progess, here in a WIP thread. And it isn’t essential to correct all the errors pointed out to you, but apply them to future models.

can u tell me how many polys were the aston martin, m6 and the other cars u made? If possible can u mention polys of individual parts?
that would really help, cuz I always have a tough time deciding how much detail you should have. Also, do you use subsurf modifier to add smoothness or manually (as in add more edge loops etc)? cuz both ways work. manual would be better cuz you have more control, excellent way for making models for games cuz there won’t be any unnecessary verts/polys anywhere…

Couldn’t find blueprints, can u find me a link? and post a picture of ur friend’s car, so I know which model it is…

And I don’t know anything about texturing…so even if I start modelling this car, I couldn’t possibly make it look like your friend’s car…

why pay, when you guys are here to help me for free?:stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, that car is too old…

the problem is I’m too choosy…some cars are too old, some too new, some look too complex, some are overpriced(wtf does that have to do with modelling!!!), some are [email protected], some are ugly, some are slow and there’s those which have been modeled a trillion times already like the audi r8, ferraris, lambos, mustang, charger etc…

If you want to tear your hair out and cry lots, try modeling a BMW. As far as what it takes to model a car then this tutorial shows you how to model a VW Passat (it’s for 3ds Max but the techniques can be used in any 3d modeling program).

Try to model the jeep wrangler.

too late, already started audi a8…