What's Blender NTSC settings?

Blender is by default meant for PAL output at 720 x 576 pixels with aspect ratio 4:3 (AspX=54, AspY=51).

I would like to know what’s the setting for NTSC aspect ratio ((AspX=??, AspY=??) at 720 x 486 pixels. I’ve check with Blender Knowledge Base but no specific answer is given.

Thanks
vicmmi

PAL is european television standard

NTSC is US (and japan?) television standard.

On the other hand Blender is not ment for PAL, it is ment for rendering as you wish, PAL settings is just a convenience if you want to make a PAL video :slight_smile:

Technically PAL (made by germans) is superior because of the scanning which is made so that errors tends to cancel while in NTSC they tend to sum up. My colleague teaching electric communications usually says that NTSC stands for Never Twice the Same Colour :smiley:

Stefano

Thanks but I still need the answer to what aspect ratio to use in Blender render setting.

Anybody render at 720 x 480 for NTSC format. What aspect ratio did you use?

aspect ratios are difficult because you have to deal with non-square pixels and stuff. i render my stuff for DV(PAL) with a fire wire output. i use Adobe Premiere’s standard setting for this, which is 720 * 576, with a pixel shape of 1.096, whatever that means. rendering from blender i use 720 * 576 with a 1 * 1 aspect ratio. i’ve never noticed any distortion when i put my work onto miniDV or VHS.

maybe you should contact someone like Adobe or Pinnacle and ask them to explain pixel aspect ratios for you. they’re more likely to know than anyone here.

make sure you render at 30fps, even though NTSC uses the quite ridiculous setting of 29.97fps.

BEAT

Thanks. That’s what I use for PAL but what about for NTSC at 720 x 486? Anybody use this in Blender?

I use 4:3 for the aspect ratio and it seems to come out fine. If I render “square” (1x1) and then put the output through a DV processor that’s not “smart” enough to fix it (can any?) I get flattened spheres on the screen. If I render at 4:3 I get oblong spheres at render time but round ones on the TV.

Go figure.
:smiley:

I have used 720x480 AspX: 8 AspY: 9 for all of my renders. This setting works properly with NewTek’s VideoToaster 2 (an awesome nonlinear digital video editor), and should work with everything else that outputs NTSC.

Thanks. I tried 720 x 486 instead of 480 at the AspX: 8 AspY: 9 and it came out quite right. Just short of 6 pixels. Thanks guys. Now I know at what ratio to use for 720 x 480 in NTSC. That’s the answer I’m looking for.

Thanks.