What's the best (probably paid) polygon modelling application?

Some good tutorials on hard-surface sub-d modeling.

I guess you didn’t read my entire post. It might be a bit long, but by the time you get to the end, you’ll see I wasn’t looking for information on how to model as you might guess from just reading the first sentence.

It wasn’t a response on your post (I would have quoted you or added @rontarrant) - merely extra general info for those reading this thread, since we were at a point were a discussion about hard-surface topology seems to have begun.

I totally agree with you, though: knowing how to deconstruct shapes (whether organic or not) is key to drawing, sculpting, volume modeling, and so on. Learning human and animal anatomy is essential for good character shapes. To become a good/great modeler learning these concepts is essential (whether through a formal education or not is not important).

You obviously missed my point.

Lots of 3d software, ie tools, are capabably of professional results in the hands of skilled individuals.

Choose one, and learn what it has to offer: don’t like? Then try another.

Oops! Sorry, dude. I usually get email about replies in the threads I’m following and so I don’t always go back and re-read the thread. I had no idea the topic had changed. :frowning:

Excellent thread here guys.

I’ve never used Blender but impressed w/ the GNU/free/share attitude. hence it’s
gr8 to see that we’ve got serious artists/modelers dealing w/ issues here, i.e. pro-attitude toward results/methodology…

I used to work in 3d for asset production (games, some corporate drudgery, illustration) years ago & now getting bak to 3d for my own experimental work–so hoping, on my “personal budget” that Blender
can handle
the level of work found in warez that were a few hundred to a few $ K just some years ago.

I was hoping that the GNU/share nature of Blender community did not mean it would be weak, e.g. DAZ or Poser for folks who aren’t into serious time working for gr8 art/results :wink:
and this thread clearly shows a respect for good tools / attitudes / technique(s).

BTW, as far as the warez used // this discussion :

I’ve not used Blender nor Groboto, but bak in the day, i recall the similar frustration w/ booleans in 3dsMax and C4d…
they tended to cause bugginess 1 way or another unfortunately,

So:

i concur with using CAD programs for booleans/holes & such especially if this might be for 3d-print / product design, etc.

The CAD “modes of working” certainly bit more “engineering /product-design oriented” but worthwhile if clients/budget calls for that level cost & detail.

Some listed above, i.e. Catia, perhaps Alias
I recall “oldschool / pre-Autodesk” Alias was amazing in it’s day…on uber-expensive SGI’s ! …so perhaps Autodesk’s design/engineering & CAD/CAM clients have pressured
them & this new-era-Alias is very powerful ?

0-{ <i>as new member = no sig yet</i>, maybe Inigo Montoya would say, <i>"I hate waiting 4 sig, must drink heavily."</i> }-0

Well. I think that’s exactly what I did. I’ve tried a lot of them but none is capable of generating a good topology after applying booleans.
I don’t know if you guys understand what I was looking for, but I did those tests to compare the modelling capabilities of different modelling softwares, I know it’s possible to do everything ‘by hand’ and I know about topology and all that stuff.

I’ve realized that the ‘Quadrilateral Tesselation’ option of the Proboolean Tool (3ds max) is the closer you can go from having a good topology after applying booleans. It doesn’t actually works perfectly, but it’s the best I know of.

I’ve concluded that the ‘critical’ steps are the 3rd and 4rd, in the case of 3rd, (Make a hole in the center by subtracting a cylinder using boolean) 3ds Max is better because of “Quad. Tesselation”, and in case of 4th, (Bevel the edges of the hole) Blender has the ‘edge’ :smiley: because is the only one that can bevel up to the cubes edges without generating artifacts. Otherwise they all are somewhat equally capable.

I was impressed though on how often 3ds Max, C4D and Modo crashed.

OFF: Hey guys, how much time do I have to wait to install the 3ds Max trial again? I have a HDD only for testing and I’ve formatted it, I’d like to install 3ds Max again to test some other things but I don’t know if I can install the trial again after only a few days. I didn’t read the licenses and all that sheesh :D.

ever look at the remesh modifier? turn on wires in object mode so you can see what it does.

Seems to me like you want to specify a stack of operations to produce a model… Solidworks perhaps?

The trial gives you a 30 day evaluation period. Once this is up you won’t be able to start the trial again.

Quandtum: Yeah, Solidworks is way better than all the poly modellers I’ve tried for non-organic stuff. I was looking for a poly modeller with that kind of capability. Solidworks never produces artifacts. You can apply all operations you want, take the hell outta the objects, and they never stop working. In poly modelling, if you apply a boolean, change some things and apply other boolean, chances are you won’t be able to do anything else (like bevel) without getting some artifacts and the form going crazy. In Solidworks it will just work. You don’t have to worry about mesh density and topology, it just works in most cases.

Richard Marklew: I know, but I think there’s a limit on how often you can reinstall the trial. Otherwise I could simply reinstall it every 30 days and use it for (non-commercial) production legally. The trial expired and I’d like to know how much time I have to wait to install it again, maybe you only have the right to install each version once. Dunno.

Richard Marklew: I know, but I think there’s a limit on how often you can reinstall the trial. Otherwise I could simply reinstall it every 30 days and use it for (non-commercial) production legally. The trial expired and I’d like to know how much time I have to wait to install it again, maybe you only have the right to install each version once. Dunno.
I believe the latter. A 30 day trial is called that because it’s a 30 DAY TRIAL. Otherwise it would be pointless having a trial version. Anyway if you have any doubts the best way to get a definitive answer would be to ask Autodesk support.