whats the catch with this?

hey all iv been searching for a laptop and i came across this laptop http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddaddddidmgfjcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&page=Product&sku=274195&category_oid=-15257&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

and i wonderd how does it have a 2.8GHz processor for 600 pounds?

Fudge

Its a celeron 2.8 … , that chips only worth about 45 pounds

In the U.S. Dell computers claim they only use the Celeron processor. Now I know I’ll never buy a Dell. The Celeron sucks in my humble opinion.

well that is in my price range so is it worth getting?

oh and one other thing im not in a big hurry to get one and i wonderd after xmas will the prices drop by much?

What do you plan on using the laptop for?

blender, games, internet and msn really

Well if you buy that laptop you can cross most new games off your list

my brother got a laptop which was BETTER than that over 1 year ago for about 70 pounds less.

for 600 pounds i would expect, 2.8Ghz P4 (not celeron) 256Mb ram. 40Gb HDD…

but seriously its not worth buying. why do you need a laptop? can you not get a desktop PC and do the same job, does it need to be portable.

becaus eportable computers always have a disadvantage.

my brother cannot play any new games, and the ones he can play are jerky, and on low graphics, he regrets getting a laptop.

best combo is a reasonable desktop (for home and POWER) and a cheap and heck laptop for “being away/on the move” this way you can get average power on the road for things like music, videos, some blender… and at home you can get good stuff and play new games.

/me could make a 600 pound desktop computer than is at the high end of the range.

Alltaken

hey thanks iv considerd a desktop just there is a shortage of room in my house and i would have no where to put it. about the laptops can you post some good specs i should aim for with about a 600 pound price range

well if it needs to be a laptop.

http://www.pcgear.co.nz/customer/product.php?productid=91063

that is about exactly the specs i game you, and should be available for about 600 pounds. the thing is i found a price for here in New Zealand quoting $1700 NZD which is about 600 pounds exactly.

whereas some places would advertise it for about $2100 NZD which is about 700 ppounds.

so you need to shop around.

spend a long time looking, i spent 1 month of intense research when buying my computer, and its still a good standard PC even 2 years after buying it. it will last another year till it becomes a slightly below average computer at which time i will get a new one.

Alltaken

Now I know I’ll never buy a Dell. The Celeron sucks in my humble opinion.

and your opinion is based on what evidence?

Other than a sincere minimalism in the L2 cache departement you mean?

Oh, and this: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020903/p4_celeron-04.html

Martin

Teeth, when I saw that “and your opinion is based on what evidence?” I went and pulled up the exact same article. Seems you beat me to it in the posting though. :-?

hmmm a thought occured i just relised that there is no num-pad so how do you change views?

you can get usb numpads

hmmmm is there a way to reconfiger the shortcut keys so i can use 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Those are the layer keys

hmmm … I too was going to display that article. rofl

I also might add, do not get a computer with an integrated video card. In my experience, they are not very good and it is very hard, if not impossible to upgrade it. This also holds for audio cards.

yeah, its in the drop down menu at the top. Emulate Numpad in the System and Opengl options group.

using the top row keys gets really annoying though, and you might not be able to use them for switching layers. I suppose you could get used to it though.