What's the latest news with blenders sound issue?

I’ve found a few threads about sound not playing in blender. Specifically sounds imported into the Video Sequence Editor.

One suggested work-around is to use ‘blender -g noaudio’ to launch blender from the command line. I haven’t been able to test this because blender isn’t set up to launch from my Ubuntu command line yet. (I don’t know how to do that.)

I’m only having the problem under Linux (Ubuntu). Under Windows XP it’s working fine.

Currently I’m having to use blender under XP because I need to do lipsync. Is there a solution for this problem that I’m unaware of?

The only option that works for me is to recompile libsdl as matiu posted on the bug tracker (then you don’t even need to disable game sound or export any environment variable).

For anyone that doesn’t know how to do that…

Edgy

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get build-dep libsdl1.2debian-all
sudo apt-get source libsdl1.2debian-all
cd libsdl1.2-1.2.10
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-gnu-ld --with-pic --enable-video-opengl --enable-dga --enable-alsa --enable-cdrom
make
sudo make install

Dapper

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-3.4
sudo apt-get build-dep libsdl1.2debian-all
sudo apt-get source libsdl1.2debian-all
cd libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs
tar -xf SDL-1.2.9.tar.gz
cd SDL-1.2.9
export CC=gcc-3.4
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-gnu-ld --with-pic --enable-video-opengl --enable-dga --enable-alsa --enable-cdrom
make
sudo make install

Now you should have working sound in blender. :smiley:

thanks for that, I’ll give it a try.

I finally got around to trying this on Ubuntu, but I got an error at this line:
cd libsdl1.2-1.2.10
It said no such file or directory exists. Am I doing something wrong :confused: ?

Ok, I guess your not running edgy? No problem just do

ls

to list the files and directory’s (look for one starting with libsdl1.2*) and then run the cd (change directory) command with the correct directory/version-number.

In sort if your running dapper do

cd libsdl1.2-1.2.9

PS. there has been another another thread about this issue since this one was started.

Ok so, I’ve been able to get into that directory, but now I get the same error “No such file or directory” when I run the next command,

“./configure --prefix=/usr --with-gnu-ld --with-pic --enable-video-opengl --enable-dga --enable-alsa --enable-cdrom”

Is there a simple answer to this too? I am an absolute beginner with linux sorry… :o

Use to list (ls) command again & check you have a configure file (so we know you downloaded to source ok & that your in the right directory).

If that’s all ok then your not running configure correctly, are you copying and pasting the command?

Good luck… :rolleyes:

I did the ls command inside the libsdl1.2-1.2.9 folder, and found 2 more folders. One called upstream, and another called debian.

Then I copied and pasted the following command from this folder libsdl1.2-1.2.9,

I’m still getting the error message “No such file or directory”.

…and just to make sure, make is supposed to be the next command isn’t it?

I’m really sorry :o

i should have also mentioned, I don’t know what a config file looks like. There were a bunch of files in there. One file in the debian folder was called sdl-config.1

Could that be it :confused:

The configure file shell script that checks your have everything to compile (gcc, dependencies, ect…), it has no file extention (it’s just called configure ;)).

I downloaded to older source package to see why you where having problems & it’s because for some reason it’s still in a tarball in the upstream directory. Check the post above for updated instructions.

PS. Gonna really suck if this doesn’t fix your sound. :smiley:

I had more success this time with the new Dapper instructions. The tarballs appeared to extract, and there are a bunch of new files there. However at the make command, I got a lot of cryptic errors.

Just a note, the cd command didn’t actually match my folder names, so I just did it manually instead using my own folder names.

If you can guide me further through the labyrinth that would be great :slight_smile:
otherwise I will just continue using Xp until either ubuntu or blender get the necessary updates :cool:

Post them & I’ll see if I can help. :slight_smile:

Yeah sorry directory name was different because I didn’t get it via apt (forgot to change it).

Well there really isn’t anything to fix in blender (as far as I’m aware) & it’s unlikely that the official ubuntu repositories are going to change the way SDL is compiled. Have you tried disabling the game audio & playing a mp3 when you launch blender as described in the other thread (might be quicker work around for you)? Like a said I’m happy to help (if I can &) if you post the error. :slight_smile:

The output is quite lengthy, and there’s a lot of repetition, with only a difference in the file name for example. here is a sample of what it’s spitting out,

Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9/src' Making all in main make[2]: Entering directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9/src/main’
make[2]: Nothing to be done for all'. make[2]: Leaving directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9/src/main’
Making all in audio
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9/src/audio’
Making all in disk

etc…

and then,

…/…/src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:53: error: ‘ConvertMMX’ aliased to undefined symbol ‘_ConvertMMX’
…/…/src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:63: error: ‘ConvertMMXpII32_24RGB888’ aliased to undefined symbol ‘_ConvertMMXpII32_24RGB888’
…/…/src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:64: error: ‘ConvertMMXpII32_16RGB565’ aliased to undefined symbol ‘_ConvertMMXpII32_16RGB565’
…/…/src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:65: error: ‘ConvertMMXpII32_16BGR565’ aliased to undefined symbol ‘_ConvertMMXpII32_16BGR565’
…/…/src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:66: error: ‘ConvertMMXpII32_16RGB555’ aliased to undefined symbol ‘_ConvertMMXpII32_16RGB555’

etc…
and then,

make[3]: *** [SDL_blit_N.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9/src/video' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9/src/video’
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

and in the middle there is a bit that goes like this,

if /bin/sh …/…/libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME="" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME="" -DPACKAGE_VERSION="" -DPACKAGE_STRING="" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT="" -DPACKAGE=“SDL” -DVERSION=“1.2.9” -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H=1 -DHAVE_ALLOCA=1 -DHAVE_LIBASOUND=1 -I. -I. -g -O2 -Wall -DENABLE_DUMMYVIDEO -DDISKAUD_SUPPORT -DUSE_DLOPEN -DUSE_ASMBLIT -I./hermes -I…/…/src/hermes -DOSS_SUPPORT -DALSA_SUPPORT -DALSA_DYNAMIC=libasound.so.2 -DUSE_DLVSYM -DARTSC_SUPPORT -DARTSC_DYNAMIC=libartsc.so.0 -I/usr/include/kde/artsc -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/includ

…thats just a sample of it! scary…

does this shed any light?

oh and yes, I tried the mp3 playing with sound disabled (in the preferences). No luck there…

I can’t get blender -g noaudio to work, because it doesn’t run from command line. I dont think i have it set up right to run from command line, because i just extracted blender into a folder, and run it from there.

You can execute blender from commandline by typing out the name of the directory

/directory/you/installed/blender/to/blender -g noaudio

i see, thanks ondrew.

This is probably very relevant, Im still using Dapper Drake. I’ve noticed a lot of things I’ve read in forums don’t work because they are tailored to Edgy Eft. I’m planning to upgrade very soon…

You need to post a few of the lines above this bit. :wink:

I’m not sure where to copy from. Just to make sure, here is from roughly half-way through the output after I entered the make command.

Making all in dummy
make[3]: Entering directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video/dummy' make[3]: Nothing to be done forall’.
make[3]: Leaving directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video/dummy' Making all in x11 make[3]: Entering directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video/x11’
make[3]: Nothing to be done for all'. make[3]: Leaving directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video/x11’
Making all in XFree86/Xxf86vm
make[3]: Entering directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video/XFree86/Xxf86vm' make[3]: Nothing to be done forall’.
make[3]: Leaving directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video/XFree86/Xxf86vm' Making all in XFree86/Xxf86dga make[3]: Entering directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video/XFree86/Xxf86dga’
make[3]: Nothing to be done for all'. make[3]: Leaving directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video/XFree86/Xxf86dga’
Making all in XFree86/Xv
make[3]: Entering directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video/XFree86/Xv' make[3]: Nothing to be done forall’.
make[3]: Leaving directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video/XFree86/Xv' Making all in XFree86/Xinerama make[3]: Entering directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video/XFree86/Xinerama’
make[3]: Nothing to be done for all'. make[3]: Leaving directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video/XFree86/Xinerama’
Making all in dga
make[3]: Entering directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video/dga' make[3]: Nothing to be done forall’.
make[3]: Leaving directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video/dga' Making all in fbcon make[3]: Entering directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video/fbcon’
make[3]: Nothing to be done for all'. make[3]: Leaving directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video/fbcon’
make[3]: Entering directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2. 9/src/video' if /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKA GE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT =\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"SDL\" -DVERSION=\"1.2.9\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H= 1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHA VE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DL FCN_H=1 -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H=1 -DHAVE_ALLOCA=1 -DHAVE_LIBASOUND=1 -I. -I. -g -O2 -Wall -DENABLE_DUMMYVIDEO -DDISKAUD_SUPPORT -DUSE_DLOPEN -DUSE_ASMBLIT -I./herm es -I../../src/hermes -DOSS_SUPPORT -DALSA_SUPPORT -DALSA_DYNAMIC=libasound.so.2 -DUSE_DLVSYM -DARTSC_SUPPORT -DARTSC_DYNAMIC=libartsc.so.0 -I/usr/include/kde/ artsc -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -DESD_SUPPORT -DESD_DYNAMIC=libesd.so.0 -DENABLE_X11 -DXTHREADS -I./include -I./src/video - DXFREE86_VM -DXFREE86_VMGAMMA -DXFREE86_DGAMOUSE -DDEFAULT_DGAMOUSE -DXFREE86_XV -DHAVE_XINERAMA -Isrc/video -DENABLE_DGA -DENABLE_FBCON -DHAVE_OPENGL -DUSE_INP UT_EVENTS -D_REENTRANT -DSDL_USE_PTHREADS -DHAVE_SIGACTION -DHAVE_LINUX_VERSION_ H -I../../include -I../../include/SDL -I../../src -I../../src/main/linux -I../.. /src/audio -I../../src/video -I../../src/video/XFree86/extensions -I../../src/ev ents -I../../src/joystick -I../../src/cdrom -I../../src/thread -I../../src/timer -I../../src/endian -I../../src/file -I../../src/thread -MT SDL_blit_N.lo -MD -M P -MF ".deps/SDL_blit_N.Tpo" -c -o SDL_blit_N.lo SDL_blit_N.c; \ then mv -f ".deps/SDL_blit_N.Tpo" ".deps/SDL_blit_N.Plo"; else rm -f ".d eps/SDL_blit_N.Tpo"; exit 1; fi gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE _STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"SDL\" -DVERSION=\"1.2.9\" -DST DC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_S TRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT _H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H=1 -DHAVE_ALLOCA=1 -DHAVE _LIBASOUND=1 -I. -I. -g -O2 -Wall -DENABLE_DUMMYVIDEO -DDISKAUD_SUPPORT -DUSE_DL OPEN -DUSE_ASMBLIT -I./hermes -I../../src/hermes -DOSS_SUPPORT -DALSA_SUPPORT -D ALSA_DYNAMIC=libasound.so.2 -DUSE_DLVSYM -DARTSC_SUPPORT -DARTSC_DYNAMIC=libarts c.so.0 -I/usr/include/kde/artsc -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib -2.0/include -DESD_SUPPORT -DESD_DYNAMIC=libesd.so.0 -DENABLE_X11 -DXTHREADS -I. /include -I./src/video -DXFREE86_VM -DXFREE86_VMGAMMA -DXFREE86_DGAMOUSE -DDEFAU LT_DGAMOUSE -DXFREE86_XV -DHAVE_XINERAMA -Isrc/video -DENABLE_DGA -DENABLE_FBCON -DHAVE_OPENGL -DUSE_INPUT_EVENTS -D_REENTRANT -DSDL_USE_PTHREADS -DHAVE_SIGACTI ON -DHAVE_LINUX_VERSION_H -I../../include -I../../include/SDL -I../../src -I../. ./src/main/linux -I../../src/audio -I../../src/video -I../../src/video/XFree86/e xtensions -I../../src/events -I../../src/joystick -I../../src/cdrom -I../../src/ thread -I../../src/timer -I../../src/endian -I../../src/file -I../../src/thread -MT SDL_blit_N.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/SDL_blit_N.Tpo -c SDL_blit_N.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/SDL_blit_N.o ../../src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:53: error: 'ConvertMMX' aliased to undefined symbol ' _ConvertMMX' ../../src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:63: error: 'ConvertMMXpII32_24RGB888' aliased to unde fined symbol '_ConvertMMXpII32_24RGB888' ../../src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:64: error: 'ConvertMMXpII32_16RGB565' aliased to unde fined symbol '_ConvertMMXpII32_16RGB565' ../../src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:65: error: 'ConvertMMXpII32_16BGR565' aliased to unde fined symbol '_ConvertMMXpII32_16BGR565' ../../src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:66: error: 'ConvertMMXpII32_16RGB555' aliased to unde fined symbol '_ConvertMMXpII32_16RGB555' ../../src/hermes/HeadMMX.h:67: error: 'ConvertMMXpII32_16BGR555' aliased to unde fined symbol '_ConvertMMXpII32_16BGR555' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:82: error: 'Hermes_X86_CPU' aliased to undefined symb ol '_Hermes_X86_CPU' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:84: error: 'ConvertX86' aliased to undefined symbol ' _ConvertX86' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:93: error: 'ConvertX86p32_32BGR888' aliased to undefi ned symbol '_ConvertX86p32_32BGR888' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:94: error: 'ConvertX86p32_32RGBA888' aliased to undef ined symbol '_ConvertX86p32_32RGBA888' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:95: error: 'ConvertX86p32_32BGRA888' aliased to undef ined symbol '_ConvertX86p32_32BGRA888' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:96: error: 'ConvertX86p32_24RGB888' aliased to undefi ned symbol '_ConvertX86p32_24RGB888' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:97: error: 'ConvertX86p32_24BGR888' aliased to undefi ned symbol '_ConvertX86p32_24BGR888' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:98: error: 'ConvertX86p32_16RGB565' aliased to undefi ned symbol '_ConvertX86p32_16RGB565' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:99: error: 'ConvertX86p32_16BGR565' aliased to undefi ned symbol '_ConvertX86p32_16BGR565' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:100: error: 'ConvertX86p32_16RGB555' aliased to undef ined symbol '_ConvertX86p32_16RGB555' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:101: error: 'ConvertX86p32_16BGR555' aliased to undef ined symbol '_ConvertX86p32_16BGR555' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:102: error: 'ConvertX86p32_8RGB332' aliased to undefi ned symbol '_ConvertX86p32_8RGB332' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:112: error: 'ConvertX86p16_16BGR565' aliased to undef ined symbol '_ConvertX86p16_16BGR565' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:113: error: 'ConvertX86p16_16RGB555' aliased to undef ined symbol '_ConvertX86p16_16RGB555' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:114: error: 'ConvertX86p16_16BGR555' aliased to undef ined symbol '_ConvertX86p16_16BGR555' ../../src/hermes/HeadX86.h:115: error: 'ConvertX86p16_8RGB332' aliased to undefi ned symbol '_ConvertX86p16_8RGB332' make[3]: *** [SDL_blit_N.lo] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video’
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src/video' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory/home/cb/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9 /src’
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
cb@cb-desktop:~/libsdl1.2-1.2.9/upstream/tarballs/SDL-1.2.9$

:eek:

OK quick google turned up SDL-1.2.9 cant be compiled with gcc-4 (has since been fixed in newer versions).
Try the following and see if that fixes it…

sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4
export CC=gcc-3.4
make
sudo make install