whats the point

what the purpose of life, and living? is there a point? is it even worth it?

It seems it’s just an uphill climb, until you reach the top. then you just fall off the cliff on the other side. it all sucks anyways

To know the answer to that question, one must first examine themselves.

Perhaps there is no meaning, but what meaning we assign to it.

My purpose is to live a good life, make others happy, and find love.

I think the meaning of life is different for everyone.
You have to find your own.

are you religious? ask your pastor/priest/whatever and i know excactly what the answer will be.

that’s what happens when you are always analizing and looking for an explanation for everything instead of enjoying the simple things of life.just relax and be happy! LOL :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

there is nothing to enjoy anymore, life is numb

what’s wrong acasto? do you have problems?are you sad? come on share it with us. :frowning:

i gave my life to someone, i gave up freinds and love, for what was supposedly love. but then she left my life, and everythinkg that I have done is now pointless, because it was all for her. now i have not any friends around, no one to hold, and all i can do is sit here and realize every plan i made, every thought i had, is now a dead end. i don’t think i really loved her, but i did enough to give up everything, even probably the one i loved the most. now there is nothing

wow! man,sorry to hear that…i don’t know what’s going on and what happened to you,i really don’t know what to say.take things easy,relax and think is my advice,maybe things will get better soon.at least that’s what i hope for you. :slight_smile:

and when i told her that I gave up all that stuff for her, she just told me “well, you shouldn’t have” and she was the one who basically made me choose between it or her back then

This might sound rude and all, but I think you need someone to kick your ass around a little bit…

GET OVER IT!

Alright, it’s actually a lot easier to say than to do, but it will happen and you’ll eventually be better than you were before, even if you doubt it now. We are the sum of all that ever happened to us, good or bad. It’s up to you to draw conclusions about it.

I’m sorry about what happen though, but, just think about it that way: one has to go back to spring forward

Martin

In LDS culture, the goal of life is to be married (no, not to 15 spouses, only one now) and have as many children as possible, or something similar. Or rather, “to gain physical bodies, to gain experience and wisdom.” That’s why we’re here. To gain access to heaven, we must be married when we die, live righteously, and most likely have children. (That’s not helping your situation very much, is it?) Unfortunately, they’re saying that these are the last days, and that things will get worse. Prediction: Soon, we will have a virus that will destroy our ability to procreate.

(Spoiler to “Monty Python’s The Meaning Of Life”)
Or, try the Monty Python Meaning Of Life (and no, I haven’t seen the film, I’ve read a bio of MP and it contained the endings to the films) : “People don’t wear enough hats.” Okay, that’s not very helpful, especially in your situation. Maybe you should try wearing more hats to attract more willing girls who would actually want to marry you. :smiley: :slight_smile: :o :frowning:

Ooookkk…

Cubefan, you cheered me up a bit because I was reading it and have absolutely no idea what in the world you are talking about :slight_smile:

LDS? Later Day Saint?

Anyway.

acasto, things have happened to me in the past where I asked myself the same kinds of questions about what’s the point. It takes time to get over such events. And you do get over them. Things have a way of working out for the better, but sometimes you don’t see it until much later.

I hope you can understand what I said. You never know what lies around the next bend. Life is full of surprises.

You know… I heard a very interesting theory on the meaning of the universe, and life.

Essentially, the theory of the philosophy is that God gave a part of himself to create the universe, and does so each time a new child is born (his part is the soul that goes with the body).

Through life that peice of God, your soul, grows. When you die, that growth returns to God, allowing God to grow.

The downside… if you don’t grow enough, got gets that growth, and the core of that peice returns as another soul… you don’t go to heaven, you’re reincarnated. Oddly, according to the philosophy, getting married and having kids takes your energy… may be the sex part, but I don’t remember.

So… the meaning of life is to learn and grow. Also, to have kids so they can learn and grow. All allowing God to grow. You keep reincarnating until one of your future selves is like an uber-Buddhist-monk super-saint, when you can go to heaven. If it’s true… I ain’t getting there this time… maybe next time around.

It was a very interesting philosophy, and really, if you listened to the guy I did, it’s very beautiful.

Imp

P.S. - I didn’t convert… though I don’t think this guy was prosteletising (sp?), just stating his beliefs. He was a radio show guest.

Thanks everyone for the support, sometime it helps just to have people remind you the world is real. Events in life can be like dreams sometime, everything seems perfect, but is not real. Then you must wake up and come to realization and acceptance of what is true. I think everyone can relate to a dream that they wished never to end, only to be drastically awoke.

I also found a nice little cure for being down. A double bacon cheeseburger and some Saturday Night Live reruns :wink:

Just some random thoughts, but maybe they’ll help…

You have to experience the bad stuff as well as the good stuff. If you never experience pain, sadness, loss etc then you can’t really appreciate happiness and contentment.

I find thinking about life and the point of it to be really damn depressing. Instead I concentrate on the little things, the feeling of having just eaten a nice curry, the excitement when you figure out something new in Blender etc. It’s the small bits of pleasure like that, that make life bearable. Maybe if I was religious then I’d feel differently, but I’m not so I’ll stick with my curry and blender :wink:

As for giving things up for a partner, personally I’ve found it’s all about compromise. I’ve had some terrible arguements with my girlfriend over the amount of time I spend writing music/blendering etc, compared to the amount of time I spend with her. In the end you have to reach a compromise. I don’t think I’d ever completely give up a hobby/friends/career/whatever for a girlfriend though. If she wanted me to then I’d assume she was just the wrong person for me.

That’s just some random stuff that popped into my head, feel free to tell me I’m an idiot and talk a load of cr4p :wink:

Hexa-dB i think you are right.i agree with you. :slight_smile:

sometime it helps just to have people remind you the world is real

since when!? hmmm, if i could get some sound proof, maybe ill agree =D

hey acasto, i hope everything gets better for ya! :frowning: this is one of them times where i would usually stop caring about everything…it does wonders to be a loaner sometimes… and food, food always helps like your double bacon cheeseburger =D and no foolin, exercise cures the blues :wink:

“get well get well soon we want you to get well” :smiley:

Yuuuummmmmmmyyyyyyy!!! LOL :smiley: :smiley: no,serious,i hope you are feeling better already.see? like i tell you,there are peeps here who cares about others.so don’t feel so lonely,ok? :smiley: :smiley:

Like one of the mechanics at work said “I woke up this morning and I didn’t have dirt on my face, so it’s a great day” (he had a heart attack not long ago)
Nothing that happens to you is a waste if you learn the lesson.