Whats this hotkey called?

I was watching one of the greybeard tutorials and he mentioned something that sounded like Zen key, or Zed key, one of those. But it put faces on all the edges and erases the faces from the edges too. Which key does that? And is that key also located in the buttons window anywhere?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

I believe you are refering to the solid draw type. The shortcut key is Z.

Nope, thats not it. He did it when the object was in solid form in edit mode. He said either zen key or zed key I think it was and it put faces on the whole mesh. Like the cage of the object is made of vertices connected by edges, thats just the cage. But he hit some key that filled the spaces with faces. It wasnt Z key. Not that I know of.

I think Greybeard says “zed-key” for Z-key. I could be totally wrong but, I believe it’s an “old school” term that is similar to someone saying “B as in Boy”. Don’t worry, he’ll probably show up here and clarify it himself.

Hey, Greybeard, you out there!!! (insert on-hold music)

What you are describing (if I’m understanding correctly) would be achieved by using Ctrl-Tab while in Edit mode.

Greybeard has some great tutorials.

Zed is the way nearly every english speaking country except the US refers to the letter “Z”.

It’s pretty confusing, actually.

I figured it was something like that. I think it’s done to eliminate any confusion with “C”, “D”, etc.

Nope, its not Ctrl + Tab. That toggles between Vertice, Edge and Face modes.
Go to greybeards tutorial site, download the Subdiv video tutorial. Approximately 4 min’s and 54 seconds into it he says Zed key and it fills the mesh cage with faces. Then at about 7 min’s and 29 seconds he does it again while the mesh has a subsurface applied to it.

“Z” is pronounced “zed” in Canada.

GreyBeard

I understand that, but it looked like you had just an empty cage, then you pressed zed-key and filled all the spaces with faces. I’m positive it wasn’t wireframe mode. When I switched it to wireframe mode the faces were still there, they were just faded a bit so the lines behind them were visible. The faces didnt go away.
Anyways, is their a way to do what I’m talking about? If not the Z key, what key? Is there a hotkey for that?

Okay, I know exactly what you’re referring to now. I just checked the video and what he’s doing is simply adjusting the viewport shading using the Z-key. He switched from wireframe to solid shading. There’s no change in the geometry when doing this so, he didn’t create any new faces.

o6a was correct.

When I switched it to wireframe mode the faces were still there, they were just faded a bit so the lines behind them were visible.then you pressed zed-key and filled all the spaces with faces.

I was in wireframe mode. You probably have “Draw Faces” on in the Mesh Tools 1 panel and/or the “limit selection to visible button” off in the 3d window header.

Look up the letter f in the help menu -> hotkey and mouseaction reference to see the various fill options.

GreyBeard

Ok, maybe it was the Z key, but the reason it didnt look like it was because the litle square dots that represent the presence of the faces weren’t their either. There was just blank space. No faded faces, not square dots, nothing at all. Just the cage, then zed filled it all with solid faces.

Try “ctrl + tab” to cycle through the Select Mode. That will change the appearance of the mesh in solid draw mode.