What's wrong with the Flash format?

This may be an old debate but, it’s not an old issue. Flash is probably the most widely accepted multimedia format…in the Earth, especially for training materials.

Over the years, I’ve read the many responses to the Flash format on this site and others. I’m just confused as to why a viable format such as Flash seems to be met with a bit of a cold shoulder. I sincerely hope that it’s not because of its proprietary nature because that’s kind of silly.

I would very much like to know what people think and more importantly, why.

Thanks for your comments. :slight_smile:

Flash is awsome for web based stuff, and even good for animating things, but I wouldn’t watch a movie in flash format, but if it was exported to avi or somethign from flash, that’d be cool, too.

There is nothing wrong with flash. Most people have it and it is fun – where it makes sense.
But some ‘experts’ are overdoing it. Flash is spice, not foodstuff.
Nobody likes to load megabytes just for an animated button.

Format spec is closed and nonfree.

(There is a published spec but its license is restrictive)

I vectorised a bunch of Blender output to pdf and then used that to create a series of vector .swf frames which I joined with swfcombine to from a flash animation. This created a nice small file (ten times smaller than using none vectorised swf frames/images) but now it is framing like hell.

Admitedly, I am new to flash (open source flash actually) but I really thought flash had a faster renderer than that. Anyone got any suggestions? That is one issue - the other issue is that as it is proprietry it is hard for people like me who want to use open source tools only to create flash content.

Koba

P.S> Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here! Why are later frames of similar complexity as the initial frames so much slower? Is this too complex for flash?

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~scat2889/galaxy.swf

Frame rate… you need like 60 to get smooth fast movements. Flash 8-9 can handel 200 fps…

Blender needs the real export, but it needs someone to do it…

Hi, am i missing something here?
Whats with this obsesion with Adobe Flash?
Whats the difference between exporting an avi then converting to flash?
Why export vector graphics?
Many video games use Rad Video tools for smaller file movies.
A cheaper (than flash) alternative also is the most intuitive Moho.
Or if you are serious $$ Toonstudio & similar.

Any more flashing and I may get arrested.:smiley:

Proprietary + large file size + slowdraw = not for me.

I messed around with flash a while back. It was like the first popular vector graphics animation platform, and that’s pretty much the only reason why people adopted it so quickly and widely.

I saw it for the overglitzed crap that it was around 2yrs ago, and then I crossed over to blender.

My concern with Flash is its usage for tutorial formats. I don’t think I would want to watch a movie in Flash, either. However, the FLV format is certainly an option.

As far as it not being free well, most things aren’t. Besides, you don’t have to purchase anything to get things into the Flash format nor to watch anything in the Flash format.

The advantages:

• Pixel-perfect images as compared to any video compression
  • very small file sizes (very fast downloads)
  • you can create extremely effective interactve presentations
  • you can create a Table of Contents for any presentation and provide buttons for the viewer to navigate freely through the video
  • you can have built-in tests to help reinforce the material presented
  • it’s very easy to create Flash materials. There are several free tools to do this.
  • no need to always download an entire video before viewing
  • easily embedded into a webpage
  • easier to translate any on-screen text to different languages
  • easily create annotations and overlays to enhance the presentation
  • more…

Why the allergic reaction to anything proprietary? :slight_smile:

If the tool works, why not use it? :expressionless:

Again, I’m not talking about feature-length movies. I’m talking about learning materials.

Flash™ isn’t opensource, it isn’t an open standard, implementation isn’t free.
It’s fed with a lot of patents.

Enough? :slight_smile:

But what if you are running linux on anything else than i386…

Ban Flash!

Adobe has set up a blog for the linux developer[/s] working with the proprietary plugin.
It’s interesting, to say the least, to read the comments from FOSS people.
http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/09/whats_so_difficult_1.html#comments

@Meltdown:
Are you saying that every Flash-based tutorial that I’ve come across costs the creators and viewers money? Really?

If opensource could provide a workable solution, comparable to Flash, that has a workable interface that can function in a real-world environment I would gladly sing its praises (again, I’m talking about the file format, not the application). And, I could understand the position. In the meantime, I guess the community gladly does without, while the rest of the world presses onward. It’s as though it were a noble position of some sort. When, in fact, it’s really a shame and a weak point of the opensource community.

@anders_gud:
Well, you buck up and create tools that can support it on your platform of choice…just like the rest of world has done. Or, create something as good or better. You shouldn’t paint yourself into a corner. That attitude reminds me of the old IBM and Mac attitude. It’s a bit,…I don’t know…snobbish IMO.

I’ve always seen that attitude as a rather “closed” position for an “open” community to take.

@Meta-Androctro:
I’m not talking about Adobe Flash, the software product. I’m talking about the Flash file format. It costs nothing to produce things in that format (Camstudio) and it costs nothing for viewers to watch it. And, I’m not talking about exporting anything from Blender.

@kernod, fair enough, all I was trying to say is what is so important about the flash format that we should persue it. I own it and dreamweaver for that matter. Big $ but as I intended to publish a web site and I have principals I bought them.
Why should we need to export to flash format when If I wan’t to I can export a avi or mov and open it in flash?
Anyway follow this link: http://www.funnyflash.com/ and check out what has to be one of the most creative flash shorts ever written.
The swf is called Animator vs Animation by Alan S Becker.
Absolutely funny and so well done.
Shows what you really can do in Flash if you put your mind to it.

Flash periodically leaves linux users out in the cold for weeks at a time. They introduce a new bleeding edge version for windows, which is immediately implemented on many popular sites. A while later they go release a version for linux.

:confused:

I…AM…NOT…TALKING…ABOUT…THE…FLASH…APPLICATION,…JUST…THE…FILEFORMAT
FORTHINGSLIKETUTORIALS.

Focus.

:slight_smile:

Just happen to believe in the importance of open source/standards and fierce resistance against software patents. That’s not snobbery, it’s self preservation…

I know it’s up to Adobe to open the code or not… and I know there is Gnash (promising).
What also scares me is the widespread acceptance of downloading closed blobs (ati, nvidia, real, flash…) , without any concerns about privacy or security. But I suppose that’s not an issue if you’re running a secure os like Microsoft’s…

I love flash :slight_smile: Small filesize. Can create cool games with it :wink:

So, the issue is really a Linux issue. You want an opensource file format that will run on Linux.

Are there any Windows users that don’t like the Flash-type video tutorials?