What's your advice on studying & Fighting procrastination?

Hello,
I’m currently working on catching up on homework and studying for midterms.
and I’d like to know, how do you beat procrastinating on big projects? and how do you study for tests? (specifically chemistry and math ) - (what works for you? )

oh yeah, and does anyone know some good online resources for understanding concepts in Calc III ?:smiley:

I’m mainly asking because I’m just curious on how other people manage to get through school :smiley:
(and I might use some of the advice)
thanks for the replies in advance!
-amdbcg

The best way that I deal with home work is doing it after school in the library or another room because when I’m at home I think “home work, or computer?” and I end up going on the computer. But when I’m at school I don’t have a distraction like that.

If it is a problem do it first thing, when you come home, or the place with least distractions.

For procrastination, pretend that the assignment is due the next day. Work really hard to get it done. Of course, it will be very low quality. But then in the next week or whatever, just revisit when you have time, to revise and fix it. This way it won’t seem as stressful, because you have the work “done” already.

As for studying, I can’t help you there, because I don’t do it. I guess I’m just lucky that I can remember almost everything.

When it comes to procrastination, I say “deal with it tomorrow.”

Back in my days I did not have the internet . . . . so I had limited choice either it was chem, stats, bio, physics, calc . … well you get the drift. I was also working at the family store after school too, so I had to squeeze some studies in between serving customers and stocking shelves. But it got me through a business degree eventually, and a few jobs. Oh yeah - the degree involved work on the side too.

For the big, long term projects, work out some kind of metric – pages read or written, problems worked, whatever, and then make a graph that shows a straight line from nothing done today, to the project finished (all the pieces done) before the deadline. Post the graph near your desk where you’ll see it every day, and at the end of the day, update with either a red line (if you’re behind) or a green line (if you’re ahead.)

Math tests: work problem sets.
Calc III: what’s covered? Differential equations? Trig functions? Series?

Procrastination isn’t a good idea for me, I generally just stop caring abut things, and I never get them done, or I do them very late.

For the big, long term projects, work out some kind of metric -- pages read or written, problems worked, whatever, and then make a graph that shows a straight line from nothing done today, to the project finished (all the pieces done) before the deadline. Post the graph near your desk where you'll see it every day, and at the end of the day, update with either a red line (if you're behind) or a green line (if you're ahead.)

-Orinoco
Thanks for the advice,
I haven’t heard of this method before, but it kind of sounds like a ghant chart… btw, how do you usually go about making the graph? (do you just draw it out on paper , or do you use a spreadsheet? )
so, it would kindof be like, -------------=====--------======
with “=” being green, “–” being black, and "
_" being red?
(with the things to do for the day underneath? )
I’m curious on what one of these looks like :eek:

Calc III: what’s covered? Differential equations? Trig functions? Series?
so far, we’ve covered vectors, vector functions, parametrizations of vectors, curvaturesand we’re currently covering partial derivatives.
… and I’m currently almost-sortof-understanding-it but its not quite “sticking” as well as calc I and calc II, so… I’m currently in need of some help in that area :stuck_out_tongue: - my midterm is this friday (and I want to make sure I know how to do it :smiley:

If it is a problem do it <b>first thing</b>, when you come home, or the place with least distractions.

good advice, thanks , I’ll have to try that.

For procrastination, pretend that the assignment is due the next day. Work really hard to get it done. Of course, it will be very low quality. But then in the next week or whatever, just revisit when you have time, to revise and fix it. This way it won't seem as stressful, because you have the work "done" already.

that’s a good idea… hmmm… I’ll see about implementing it into my plans for getting projects done :slight_smile:

As for studying, I can’t help you there, because I don’t do it. I guess I’m just lucky that I can remember almost everything.
yeah…I wish I didn’t have to study… (you’re amazing! ) :eek:…

so, anyone know of some good online resources that explain calculus III (maybe in layman’s terms? ) :slight_smile:

if you’re lucky like i was, you dont need to understand calcIII, just make a notecard covering the entire section :stuck_out_tongue:
hehe
but really, i think you could get some help on #math or something

cool, thanks for the irc chat room, Jeepster, I’ll be sure to use it :slight_smile:

yeah, i learned a lot from #math… and midnighttutor.com

good luck

I try to keep them simple. Most of mine dealt with writing, so they looked something like this.

the black line is just a straight projection, so many pages due in so many days. The red or green segments are drawn in as time passes and I actually do the work: If the total number of pages done on a given day is above the black line, I draw it in green, if it’s under the line, it’s red.

ah, cool :slight_smile:
I’ll try that :slight_smile:
(*looks for paper / colored pencils)

Don’t forget to eat lots of tuna and fish oil tablets, omega 3 helps with your memory and studying is remembering.

This is perhaps one of the best things you can to do for yourself. Get it out of the way and then go do the fun stuff. If you do it consistently the material tends to learn itself.

I’ll get back to you later.

cool :D… so… what happens when you’re already in-the-hole/ “behind” ?

I’m writing these down, printing them off and I’ll hopefully look at them and try to apply them (or at least write down and do as many as I can :slight_smile: )

I’ll get back to you later.
lol TorQ!

…anybody else have opinions/thoughts they would like to share on this subject? :slight_smile:
leave a comment! - can always use more!

I’ve compiled a list/ uploaded it - so its easier to print off(link)

and I’m procrastinating…
hmmm… I think I’ll go through this and then outline stuff for tomorrow or something :slight_smile:

AMDBCG,

o_O AMAZING!! thanks a lot for this list… i’ll be sure to try at least some of it right now…

good luck with your studies :slight_smile: