When is light groups/light linking coming to blender 2.8x?

So I’m using Cycles and would like to use a separate lighting setup for one of the collections in my scene. I used to be able to do a similar thing by limiting lights to a specific group in blender 2.79

I really need this functionality as compositing is not desirable in this case.

Does anyone know if this feature is being planned, and if so where can I read about it.

Thanks!

Cycles and EEVEE don’t support light linking.
You could have used that in 2.79 with Blender Internal.

But in 2.8, with Cycles, you have to render 2 light set-ups as 2 different view layers and composite them.

It was already a long term todo during 2.7x. And currently, nothing seems to indicate that will happen soon.

Thanks for the reply. That is sad news. I hope it is something that will be considered again.

LuxCoreRender has light groups but I’m not sure if that’s the same you’re searching for.

According to this official info on Phabricator, yes :smiley: Both light groups and light linking are planned.

Thank you. I’ll have to look into that.

Thank you. I checked out the link and followed the task number, https://developer.blender.org/T68915
it looks like it’s on backlog and no one is assigned to it, so it could be a good while before we see its arrival. In the meantime I guess I’ll just have to use compositing.

Thanks again.

bone-studio build have patch with light groups, You can check that out

afaik Brecht have recently more time to work on Cycles so its possible that i may come in next eg in 2.84.