When is subsurface modeling normally used?

When is subsurface modeling normally used?

I’ve been trying to use it for character modeling (non-photorealistic/cartoony character - low resolution control geometry with subsurf applied to it), but I’m starting to get impression that it is the most suitable for smooth mechanical surfaces (sci-fi robots, futuristic cars, alien guns, etc), and not for making characters. Am I right about that?

The reason why I tried subsurf for characters is because I wanted to reduce number of points I have to deal with.

I wonder if I should give up on subsurf modfier and figure out efficient way of dealing with large number of points/polys on a normal mesh.

but I’m starting to get impression that it is the most suitable for smooth mechanical surfaces (sci-fi robots, futuristic cars, alien guns, etc), and not for making characters. Am I right about that?
Not really. So what problems are you seeing ? If you want to animate a character you really want to use the advantages of a subsurf modifier as it would be tedious to try and animate a high res model

and figure out efficient way of dealing with large number of points/polys on a normal mesh.
That would be sculpting https://www.blender.org/manual/en/sculpt_paint/sculpting/index.html

I want to make a base body mesh I could use as a template for the future models.

At the moment I’m mostly practicing - trying to recreate someone else’s models (to gain a bit more experience), dealing with topology issues (well, that one is due to inexperience), trying to make stuff from sketches, plus there’s this slightly annoying issue - when you add an edge loop to subsurfed geometry it causes all neighboring faces to “jump” and they often need to be readjusted afterwards.

I’ve checked out bastioni lab, and while he has nice-looking geometry it is very high poly, doesn’t quite fit the style I had in mind, and I think I won’t be able to quickly adjust something like that.