When will Blender become the industry standard?

dude… please use points to break up sentences, Capital letters to start a new, comma’s and alinea’s to make your answers readable.
Not all of us have a easy time reading stuff, and deciphering your musing is really hard atm :wink:

2 Likes

This time you might have been saved by the power of Blender, but what if you need a cloth interacting with water, getting ripped apart by the fluid and then floating away in the stream ? Will you succumb to the power of the dark sorcerer, leaving the save and heavenly realms of Blender behind, mingling with Wizards and demons?
:mage::japanese_ogre:

5 Likes

Just thinking about those examples you give makes me excited to try that little app again. :grin:

I do realize it’s purely the simplicity of my work that makes Houdini overkill for me and hopefully my imagination can make me make the switch. :nerd_face:

I dunno if I’d define the Houdini folk as dark sorcerers, wizards, and demons. It’s kinda insulting, you know? Instead, call them what they actually are: spooky nerds.

1 Like

Now we’ve had it, at the next helloween party everyone will be dressed up as spooky nerd. Thanks bud.

1 Like

1 Like

Just like that :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Just so you know…this is actually a thing:

4 Likes

Man, and here I was thinking I did a clever.

Hi,

No offence here, but please take a look at other people’s posts for guidance.
For me, your huge block of text just merges into a mesh of letters, despite your re-formatting.

Dyslexia in any for(u)m is a bitch. :wink:

I can’t help it - whenever I try to imagine an average Houdini user I get a picture of Alan Moore in my head.

That depends on your viewpoint. They’ll get shit done.
Better to reign in hell, than to serve in heaven. :metal: :laughing:

3 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if I am not dyslexic myself… But I have been told “STFU I’M DYSLEXIC” too many times in my life to even consider getting diagnosed. :’)

Honestly I love blender but the only original thing it has that other 3d programs do not have is grease pencil maybe? Anime studios that need storyboarding /final product might make a lot of sense to move over to blender if the grease pencil tools improve. Blender is not going to ever catch up with Houdini in simulations unless a billionaire donates tonnes of money.

With such a large userbase blender will likely always be in the industry at some level. I think since blender 2.8 number of users has grown to a crazy number. Lots of concept artists / modelers/ game artists use it. Big budget Disney films will most likely continue to use the software they have been using for the last 20 years :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

There are decent tests on the web to see if you are. It might help you.

For me it’s kinda OK if text is properly formatted.
If it’s getting a large and dense block of text, I have a hard time reading it most of the time.
Especially in English.

For me (still an 80% Houdini user) the main draw of Blender is EEVEE. I didn’t even start looking at Blender seriously until I saw Ian Hubert’s teaser video all done in EEVEE and that won me over even more than Unreal and Quixel’s Rebirth video.

If you check out Entagma’s latest NerdRant, you’ll see that even Manuel mentions EEVEE as a big draw for him.

If I was king of BF, I would go all in on EEVEE – forget Cycles X (there are better and faster 3rd party renderers out there), forget Geo Nodes, forget sculpting, just make EEVEE a mofo that makes Unreal look like kid’s play in comparison!

P.S.

Good thing I’m not king of BF!

4 Likes

For me, the “selling” point of Blender is that it’s a wide, efficient toolbox for free. The tools inside are sometimes great, but overall it’s not cutting edge either.

You can’t ask for a better example of a spooky nerd than that!

4 Likes

I mean I’m the sort of similar but maybe 30% of my time is in Houdini just learning :grin: I do not render anything in Houdini I just use Eevee mostly too. I saw that nerd rant, really cool shows the big trouble pipelines and renderers bring up. If Eevee ever gets the type of upgrade that nanite gave Unreal that would be cool. I agree with the Entagma’s Manuel that being able to quickly switch between Cycles and Eevee with no effort is such a help in concepting and Houdini just fails on that. I’m not a fan of mantra.

Perhaps in the future with the the big push for the so called “metaverse” with USD Nvidia Facebook etc Blender becomes the industry standard in making/sharing free models/ avatars in the collaborative VR space. That is if blender speeds up it VR tools. VR headsets have to become mainstream first though :grin:

1 Like

I myself started with Blender only after 2.8

1 Like

Personally, as a mildy seasoned 3d artist now in the industry. I’ve experience with 3ds, Maya, Blender, Modo… I’ve dipped my hands into each witch cauldron. Honestly, still so far, Blender in my opinion while having some awesome things and wonderful plugins… doesn’t shape up to 3DS and Maya. the SUBD Performance is absolutely… atrocious for anything mid to high level tier modelling. More specifically, the performance is god awful. As soon as you have a complicated shape more illustrious than a cube, and approaching 20k or higher in geo. It starts to lag all over the damn place, sliding support loops and or moving geo begins chopping to a hault. Even with the new Open Sub Div branch they’re working on… hardly an increase in performance. That needs to be fixed first before it can ever be taken seriously.

It handles the simple stuff wonderfully, and it looks like it is in the right direction. I gotta give credit where credit is due though. With the jumps BF has made, Blender has managed to find its way as my ‘finishing’ model suite. For touching up bad smoothing groups and such left from Maya. So it has become even a part of my pipeline. But there are so many things the bigger programs have still that make quality of life and efficiency still up there. For me, the freedom of the gizmo in maya and the cut tool it has with set flow and how seamlessly you can bounce in and out of a SUBD projection with zero lag on complicated shapes, sliding edge loops while maintaining mesh silhouette… It’s like having a 3d hand in there on the mesh which I have found hard pressed to find in any other modelling program. 3DS feels like modelling with boxing gloves on in comparison. I keep trying to learn 3dsmax and get comfortable with it but it doesn’t improve my workflow speed ever.

2 Likes