When your work bombs

I usually think that it’s a mistake to look to other people for “self-affirmation.” Everybody has an opinion, but you don’t have to listen to them. (“Constructive criticism” is welcome, and right-here is a great place to find it … why not post some examples in the “Focused Critique” section?) Just continue practicing your craft and making new art. Because, CG is “a craft.”

1 Like

That is the plan.

My two cents: Sometimes, some of the most vocal critics suck themselves. Perhaps it helps them feel better to tell someone else they suck. Some might enjoy upsetting people.

I’d say enjoy your 3D. If you find the modding scene a bit toxic, maybe consider if there is another way you could enjoy your 3D more.

If you do put your work out in public, I guess people are entitled to an opinion on it. But you are entitled to ignore it. Don’t take it to heart. It is just an opinion. Even the world’s biggest achievers have had plenty of critics along the way. If they listened to them too much, they would have given up long ago!

What is good enough is if you are happy with your efforts. You know your own journey. If you want to get better, just look for progress in your own work and don’t compare yourself to someone further down their journey. Anyway, there is hardly anyone who is an expert in every single aspect of 3D. Take it one step at a time, and remember what you liked about 3D in the first place. It’s really cool, huh?

Oh yeah. It is a lot easier to be critical of someone else’s work than to do it yourself.

1 Like

I think you answered your own question in a sense here. As many have pointed out, just telling you that you suck, is not constructive, and you should not take it seriously, and especially not personally :grin:

That particular group also cannot be the only one in existence that is involved with whatever game you are making mods for (skyrim I assume?). Maybe seek some feedback elsewhere if you feel your work hasn’t gotten the best reception thus far, and they aren’t giving any real input, just insults.

If you only have 3 weeks of time on blender, with no preexisting experience in actually making stuff in 3d from scratch, it is going to suck, and you’ll take a long time tweaking stuff to get it right. You’d be surprised how much faster, and better, you can make something the second time around.

One further thing is you might want to consider the fact they are probably looking at the end result as a whole, as if you mentioned they just rip models to modify, they likely are not 3d artists themselves, and do not see it the same way we might. You can look at the general standard out there for mods, and ask yourself honestly if it is achievable right now, and if not, how can you get there? Staying motivated is probably the most important thing, and it starts with not being so easily influenced by negative feedback and rejection.

2 Likes