where are my cooridnats to UV map to?

Check this out, please advise.

I followed a tut where I was making spaceship walls. OK Fine. I went to try it on my own with a PNG in which I wanted to make a Black and white PNG my Spec map. However I am not getting the option to have UV as a coordinate. I have other options. What button did I NOT push to get the same options?
pic explains so much better…

I opened a new file added a plane> added texture PNG> tab to edit mode “U” unwrap fine, but when I go over to make it a spec map via UV coordinates and Influence options they are not there?

Here is following along a tut and the UV option FINE

Here is a new file as above explained

Mind the context you’re currently in: You’re editing world textures, not material textures - and you can’t uv unwrap the world.

Has that object you’re texturing right now a material assigned at all? No material = no material textures.

Ikari I did go back and forth between the two, I am almost positive that my option was the same. I will go redoux double ,triple check.

No material assigned to my plane. Is that the same as before when you shared with me that it must have a material to know how to unwrap? like the png’s on my engineer station?

I did not realize that the tut had added a material to do so…Thanks

Erm… Not sure if I recall having said that. In fact, I think I deny that outright: UV coordinates are a property of the geometry, not a material. Without UV coordinates Blender may not know where to place the texture, which is kind of the opposite of your statement.

But other than that: Material textures modify material properties. So yes, you will always have to assign a material first and then the material textures. After all, if there is no material, how is Blender supposed to know which material properties you want to influence with that very texture? :wink:

I was not adding my texture with a material first as well as I was not adding it in material mode I was using the texture Icon, is why I ‘think’ my options were World or Texture icons as you pointed out.
Thank you, appreciate it

After all, if there is no material, how is Blender supposed to know which material properties you want to influence with that very texture?

I think this is what you’ve state prior and I of course mixed it up which you pointed out. Thanks again.