Where can I find the Masking node in the shader editor?

Can’t for the life of me seem to find it anywhere. Is it only in the compositor? Essentially what I’m trying to do is combine two video clips, but if I were to do that in the compositor I can’t line the images up how I want with precision like I can in the layout editor.

Are you looking for the video editor? You can find that in the tabs at the top, at the end under the +.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/interface/window_system/workspaces.html#workspaces

Or are you looking to add video to a texture like on an object? That’s what I would guess the shader editor would help you with.

EDIT: People mask things all the time in the shader editor but there is no node to do it, I think you could look that up to see how. I always confuse myself when I do it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. What I’m trying to do is edit it so it appears he is flying the butterfly. I can combine them on the compositor and use the keying node to remove the greenscreen, but It’s very hard to line the clips up with any precision there. I basically just want to crop a small part at the bottom of the Dany DeVito clip to make it look more like he is inside the butterfly’s wings.

I don’t have any experience with this type of thing but I would say there is also a masking workspace under the vfx heading. I think that is what you are looking for. As far as how to use it you may find stuff in the manual or online. I hope this helps.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/movie_clip/index.html

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look in to that.

Also this may help…

If you use an empty to define the location of the texture, and then parent that empty to the plane, you can then edit the plane (add some loop cuts (ctrl r)) in edit mode to conform to what you are doing.

This is very unconventional but it seems to work with what you have.
In the following file I have done that. The empty has been rotated 90 degrees (x) scaled times two and moved the lower left hand corner of the plane. Object texture coordinates are being used and the empty is where is it getting it from. You can see that you can shape the plane around something, but you wouldn’t be able to animate it like with a mask in the mask editor…
devito-crop.blend (1.5 MB)