Where do I go from here?

Hello,
I have a very simple scene where I want the camera to follow a path. The scene, the camera and the path seem to be OK. The path even has marks where I assume the camera is supposed to stop and take a picture. Where do I go from here?

I have been searching tutorial lists and even trying lots of buttons in blender but I cannot figure out how to make the thing work. There are several tutorials that tell how to set up the path but I can’t find anything that tells how the animation is supposed to be assembled.

It seems that either I am asking the question the wrong way when searching or there isn’t anything there, I can’t figure out which.

John

Hi,
If you just want to do a ‘fly through’ of a scene, the simple method is just to position your camera at the main locations of your fly through at the relevant frame, with a ‘location rotation’ keyframe.

Basically, position camera at first frame of animation. Press I key, set loc, rot. Cursor right to frame x (eg frame 50- 2 seconds at 25fps). Position camera where you want it after 2 seconds, press I again, loc rot. Now when you cursor right, left your camera will move smoothly between those 2 keyframes. You can render individual frames to check the look befor rendering the animation. Remember to choose an animation filetype (eg: avi codec- choose a codec off your system). Also set the output file location, hit the Anim button, when its finished you can view it within Blender by pressing play.

When you are getting more confident, try using an empty for the camera to ‘track to’.

position camera at first frame of animation. Press I key, set loc, rot. Cursor right to frame x (eg frame 50- 2 seconds at 25fps).

Roy,
You are going a little too fast for me here.

When I “position camera at first frame of animation” does that mean position the camera in my scene where I want the first frame to be?

I pressed the “I” key, do I just click on “LocRot” and blender records the location and rotation of the camera in its present location, or is there a place I type that in?

“Cursor right to frame x (eg frame 50- 2 seconds at 25fps)” I’m not sure what “cursor right” means. And how does the 2 seconds fit in. (I know where to set the fps.)

There is one thing that saved me from feeling like a total fool, I was able to choose the filetype (and I know where the ANIM and PLAY buttons are, hey, that’s 2 and 3 things.

Seriously, I’ve been using blender for about a month rendering stills and this is my first attempt at anything with any type of animation. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

John

First to your camera following the Path; select the Path Object and in F9 buttons make sure CurvePath is pressed (CurveFollow too if you want the camera to bank along bends in the path).

If you added a Path (and not a bezier or NURBS curve) goto the IPO window and where it says Object click the menu and select Path. You’ll see a Speed IPO with which you can control the speed that your camera advances along the path. If it was a Curve and not a Path you’ll have to add an IPO Curve with Ctrl-LMB.

The Camera needs to be Parented to the Path (Shft-Select Path once Camera is selected), Ctrl-P >> Follow Path.

Second, without a Path:

I pressed the “I” key, do I just click on “LocRot” and blender records the location and rotation of the camera in its present location, or is there a place I type that in?

It uses the existing coordinates of the camera and records them to IPO’s as Keyframes.

“Cursor right to frame x (eg frame 50- 2 seconds at 25fps)” I’m not sure what “cursor right” means. And how does the 2 seconds fit in. (I know where to set the fps.)

Arrow-Key (RightArrow for one frame at a time or the UpArrow for 10 frames at a time) to advance frames. Default setting is 25 fps so 50 frames (UpArrow 5 times) is about two seconds of rendered footage.

%<

Yes, what fligh said, sorry about the confusion ‘cursor right’ I am showing my age! (The arrow keys were traditionally used to move the input cursor on old style terminals)

Roy, Fligh,
Thanks for the pointers. The camera follows the path nicely. But now when I render the scene the last frame is going first. I guess I hit the wrong button somewhere but I’ll be darned if I can find it.

John

Render ? … or when you press PLAY ? … If it’s PLAY, then you probably have old/previous renders mixed in the same directory. If that’s the case then click on the “How Do I” link in my signature and read the topic of how to generate an avi/mov animation.

If that’s not it … then you have me stumped :smiley:

Mike

Select the Path, Tab into Edit mode and select All, W >> Switch Direction.

%<

Mike_S, it was when I tried to Render. I hadn’t got to the play button yet.

Fligh, I think I knew that but forgot.

Right after I posted my last question I had an idea and turned the path around, took the last point and moved to the end, etc. Then took the camera and rotated it around 360 degrees. Now I know two ways to fix this problem.

Thanks all it works great!