where is the compass gizmo? AND I found a new rotation! by myself!!

(bubs) #1

I know maya so I’m going to use it for comparison. in maya when you click a pixel and hit move an axis “compass” shows up so you can move that pixel in one direction only just by clicking on the compass arrow and dragging. Is there such a thingy in blender?

I know that I can move pixels on one axes in blender because I’ve done it on accident once. a line went across my screen and I could only move along that line. how do I do that or get the compass gizmo.

AND HORRAY!! I’ve discovered something all by my lonesome!

well not really discovered but a setting in options that I like better!

pull down the options menu (the one above file, add, etc) and in view and controls there is a “view rotation” area Click it to “turntable” instead of “trackball” and its a more familiar view rotation for people coming from commercial packages like maya and max! Yay. I’m learning!

0 Likes

(bubs) #2

oh and by the way the view rotation is a HUGE thing for me because I was having a hard time getting used to the “trackball” setting. it was slowing me down everytime I try to open up blender and learn it. I didn’t even know you could change it!

0 Likes

(bubs) #3

i found my answer to this one too.

its the hand with raised finger next to the view in the toolbar.

0 Likes

(egan) #4

oh and by the way the view rotation is a HUGE thing for me because I was having a hard time getting used to the “trackball” setting. it was slowing me down everytime I try to open up blender and learn it. I didn’t even know you could change it!

Yeah it sucks, doesn’t it?

To use the gizmo, you can choose between translate, rotate, and scale, and use them in combination by shift clicking on them. Control Space is the hotkey to enable/disable the gizmo and choose its mode. The little menu next to it that probably says Global allow you to change how the gizmo is aligned (including normal which is quite useful).

A faster way to do transformations is to use the hotkeys. G for grab, R for rotate and S for scale. Pressing X,Y, or Z constrains it to that axis; pressing any of them again constrains to the local axis (G then Z, Z allows you to dolly the camera), pressing a third time removes constraint.

0 Likes

(bubs) #5

yea it was a weird way to rotate to me…

but I got the hotkeys before in another post (xyz) but sometimes I just like to use the gizmo… it’s just me. sometimes I’ll use the hotkeys or sometime I like the gizmo when moving things around.

i’m weird

0 Likes