Where to find information about exporting models / animation

Hi guys :slight_smile:

I wonder if any of you can help me out here. I’m about to start work on a 3d paintball strategy game for my third year degree project. I would like to be able to use blender to do some modelling and animation for the game, particularly for the characters and weaponry. The problem is, I know very little about getting data out of blender into some format I can import into my game engine.

Can anyone offer any insight into how I can export my models and animation from blender into some sort of file? Any advice or references to documentation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gareth

Well there’s python scripting, if you know it.

What kind of file type do you need?

If you are a student for $395 you can buy Lightwave 7.5.

Well, I can learn python scripting, but how does that help me export stuff?

I don’t really care about the file format because I’m almost certainly going to be writing a custom loader. Something like MD2 would be nice but I know blender doesn’t support it.

$395 is out of my reach I’m afraid (no matter how much I would like to play with Lightwave ;)). Milkshape might be better (what is it, $20?), but I already know how to model and animate in blender, and we’re going to be very pushed for time on this project!

here are some converters from blender to other formats.

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/converters.html

Shift+F2: Exports scene as DXF
Ctrl+F2: VRML