Where's the Blenderplayer source? If it is re-typed, can we give it a new license?

I got the Blender 2.54 beta source not too long ago, but the Blenderplayer source code isn’t present. I was wondering where the source code is (or if it is already complied into an executable or something)? Also, as far as I know, the Blenderplayer itself (the executable) is licensed under a license agreement that doesn’t allow for commercial game releases if the game is bound in with the Blenderplayer in a single executable. Can this be fixed through recompiling the source with retyped source code that is differently licensed? If so, I’d contribute my time to help retype part of the source.

The good news is, its already been done:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php/130089-BPPlayer-1.03-release-(-Linux-32bit-beta-builds)

I also believe GameKit (see sticky) is licensed as MIT, which could be another option for you.

The player source code is with the rest of the Blender source code. It can be found under: source/gameengine/GamePlayer

Retyping is making a copy. The license is still there.
Writing a new player would be fine as long as you do not use “anything” from the GPL sources.

The GPL does not prevent commercial games. You are free to sell it. But you can’t apply a more restrictive license on the file.

You still have the option to dynamically load your data from other files. These other files can have any licence you like.
If a file containce just a bit of GPL the whole file is GPL. So make sure not to use GPL content in your files.

so to publish game you made after making a run time and stuff what do you do about licencing copy the one from blender so that its not more constricting or what I am sorta confused XD

Is this a question?

The GPL says that if you include GPL code all is GPL.

If you want to protect your content (models, texture, etc.) with an other license you have to split it up into separate files.

So you have the runtime.exe as GPL and you have to provide the .blend (as source). You can not forbid to give it away (for monay or free) as the recipient has the same rights than you have on GPL content.

But the runtime.exe can load another file without GPL content. This file can be under a license of your choice. So you can forbid or allow to give it away. The rights on this file are on you.

Runtime = GPL (no chance to change it)
Datafile = your license (whatever you want). If no license provided - at least your copyright.

You bundle it to one exe file -> it contains GPL (runtime) -> all is GPL!

ok so if you want to give free or even for cash the game in a runtime when you push save as runtime you have to include the .blend ? and to not have to share the .blend so they could basically edit the game and everything after they get the copy of the game ? or just the runtime file. so you cant just copyright the game so no one edits and uses your content? I am trying understand XD

@mercc1 - When you compile your Blender game into a runtime, it combines the game with the BlenderPlayer executable file. That file is GPL-licensed, which means that while you could sell your game fine, if users request the source code of the game you would legally have to give it to them. This can be bypassed by using the external blend method that Monster pointed out, or by using the BPPlayer that Kupoman talked about.

@Kupoman - I wasn’t aware that the source of the executable was present; in my 2.5 source of Blender, it wasn’t present.

@andrew-101 - I am aware of the BPPlayer. It seems like a fine application, but there hasn’t been any recent work on it, and there is no option for Mac builds, unfortunately. The GameKit is a whole other game engine, and so wouldn’t work with the BGE.

I suppose this was more of a ‘what-if’ discussion; since the source is present, and there are alternatives, there shouldn’t be a problem with making commercial games with the BGE.