Which commercial package is most similar to Blender?

The student version of Houdini supposedly has no limitations, except the files are not compatible with the Escape version (though portable) and not for commercial use. One can still use it to learn and create a reel with it. I think that’s really fair compared to a practically useless 30day trial. I couldn’t even spend 1k on any package. But if I can get a job because I have Houdini knowledge I don’t NEED to shell out 3-8k because the studio already would have done that :slight_smile: Still I could train until my fingers fell off!
I have XP32, Ubuntu unfortunately wouldn’t work.

it seems somewhat logical to learn Max, although I heard practically EVERYONE complain about it. So Maya would be “the Standard”… Although that one has the “stone age” UI if I remember correctly.

well, maybe you’ve heard it here. I have heard all the opposite in my work environments… :wink:

Max is not bad. Those quirks do exist. But you can tell there are in any package.

Anyway, is more about the field you may be aiming. Personally, to work in games, it depends. Maya is probably the most round solution (but about the future now that is purchased by Autodesk, I have my doubts…) , and a good friend of mine works in a ps3 games dev company (huge one), they do all with Maya, loads of mel script, and custom applications…

But… Imo, the base installed of Max in game companies is really huge. In games field, if going for character animation, I’d go for Maya, and if not, maybe Max, and solid knowledge of Maya. Sorry, i didn’t clarify I was more thinking on that field. I guess for movies field… I’d go for Maya.

OK, I don’t have a 3d related work environment, and I won’t be having one for quite a while, so the professionals I have been talking to all speak of Maya and Max. I have no clue of either, and I have just a speck of a clue of Blender, so I’ll just listen to the pros.

The only problem - I can’t and won’t afford either. I’m not gonna take a credit for 3500 bucks (did that once for Photoshop etc. and that screwed me up for years), that’s just crazy and unfair policy, in contrary to Houdini.

I don’t know yet what I’m gonna specialize in, in the meanwhile I have to learn everything and once I know Blender as well as possible, I’ll buy ZBrush and the move on to others if I can afford to by then.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I think learning as much about Blender as you can will be helpful even if you go to another program. I have exported Blender models into .obj files and brought them into C4D before, so if you get another program that the license only allows for 1 install (i know some let you do one install on a desktop and another on a laptop) then you can work with Blender on a laptop and then bring that work over to your program on the desktop later.

That’s another way to go - I do not think I’ll ever set Blender aside anyway, if this is what I learn first and best. Again, I have never practiced but read that Blender excels in certain fields, and as it is portable and runs on any system, no studio can keep me from using it :stuck_out_tongue: It is just always that demand that bugs me. I still hope that 2.5 will break the CG codex of 5000$!

and as it is portable and runs on any system, no studio can keep me from using it :stuck_out_tongue: It is just
…yes…they can, as a internal rule/policy. Depends a lot on your skills, if their absolutely mad skills, they can make an exception. Or if simply, they’re quite short of money for seats…

But I can tell you a company can force you to use the package the team uses and where has all integrated. I was able to keep using wings for modeling, but at medium or small companies, that is easier to happen.

My workflow in all the places was to export as OBJ or similar, import into Max. Smoothing normals were almost always lost by the times. But rebuild fast inside Max or Maya. I for some time was all days modeling props in wings that a great buddy inmtegrated inside his Maya… (kindda he working as level builder) …importing as OBJs. Often very complex scenery that I exported already composed, as there are many tricks with how you I/O bwteen programs, and the thing can get to be really fluid.

Functionally speaking, to me there’s no issue. Is more a matter on how open minded is your boss…And that’s really a matter of luck…

Sometime, bosses that rejected ANYTHING open source (my options tend to be wings, blender, inkscape, virtualdub, I use 'em all in every company, mostly as often companies not focused much in 3D don’t purchase software) …till I demostrated I produced faster than they’d expect from a Max worker (of our area: trick is very few ppl really handling well 3d around, hehe. I mean: a Max expert flies literally with his modeling, like any ace, with her/his software. But not many around, is not practical to learn these things here. )

I highly recommend Houdini in any version because it is an excellent program. It is a standard for VFX work in a great many studios and runs along side their proprietary software. Many commercial houses use 3dsMax, while feature houses largely use proprietary stuff or Maya (Double Negative, Moving Picture Co. etc…). Out of all of the packages, Houdini is the one that is the most unlike Blender (completely different style of program) and it is also the one that looks best on a resume.

Edit- And if you’re actually working at a studio, you don’t usually have a choice of what package you use because you can only do work while you’re on their machines and they require full compatibility down the line. At many places you don’t even have your own desk but jump around every day.

First of all, you ask on a Blender forum :wink: This might explain some reactions and point of views.

To answer the original question:
I am currently switching from 3ds Max, I worked with 3ds Max for about 10 years, from which 8 years professional.

Amongst these years I’ve worked a year parttime for an Autodesk (3ds Max/Maya/etc.) PSP dealer as support engineer for 3ds Max.

Why this info, well just to give you an idea about my experience with 3ds Max. I know 3ds Max is probably, depending on location and branche, the most common 3D package there is. Yes it’s expensive, but the most important thing is where you spend your time, time is the biggest investment.

Nowadays it’s not so important which package you know or use. All big companies use several. For a company it’s more important that you know your way around in your package. The second is that if they have to buy a complete new package, this dis encourages due to financing and computability reasons.
Well: Blender is free, so the first isn’t the problem.
The second: learn your (Blender) package through and through, ending up with enough knowledge to do your thing and still get hired.

Yes, I know: not all companies think alike.
But most want to make money, so if you can convince them to safe a licence of (in europe 4250 ex vat), you can work the first period for free! :wink: And probably as you are good enough, they give it a thought to stop paying the extreme high fees for these licenses.

Besisdes the licensing and hiring part:
I really think it’s way more importamt to gain strenght and knowledge: simply being good isn’t good enough, be great, know as much as you possibly can, from which package you might end up with, and specialize certain skills.

Second, if Blender’s support team is wise, they make sure Blender knows how to communicate with the biggest commercial packages, 3ds Max and Maya. And if possible as much media packages as is possible: XSI, Rhino/Flamingo/Penguin, Mudbox, Motion Builder, Combustion, Cleaner, SketchUp, AutoCAD, … To make communication simple and stable and switching packages easy and cheap.

For me, after several years of 3ds Max, Blender is the way to go. And yes, I’m just starting to learn Blender.
Blender is amazing in what I’ve seen thus far. It’s a grown up package, which easy can compete with 3ds Max and Maya PERIOD.

Autodesk is great in making money and ignoring the users. The are a big large incompetent money making machine. They do not care about development of the software, extending user capability or user friendlyness. They just buy everything they can, lack improvement, just think about how to make as much money as possible. There aren’t in the business of satisfying customers. They are in the business of buying the competition or crush them, it’s very arrogant. And yes I’ve seen behind some curtains.

The biggest advantage of Blender over all the other commerical packages:
it’s open, not being free, but being open!

Sooner or later everybody needs customization, Blender is the way to go for this. Second, development of OPEN source packages is more granted then any commercial package! Think about how 3dstudio, 3d studio max, 3ds max, maya, sketchup, VIZ and other packages disappear in the big money machines. And how much improvement has it brought the end users?
VIZ stops, comes back, combustion stops for years and comes again, VIZ is killed, 3ds Max is split in two packages, Maya is bought, the 2 big software titles are know developed and owned by the same machine,… they do not care about users, they easily kill your software pakcages, no matter if you business dies with it!

To keep a healthy perspective for your business, you need open software. If the developers make descissions you do not like, you are able to make your own distribution (see linux and how this grows for years up to today and further). But you lack support? No way, you can buy support, and since you pay nothing for the software, most people help out support by distributing free tutorials and help, you safe a lot of money, to buy professional help! Follow a course at, for example, the Blender foundation isn’t more expensive then a professional training elsewhere. But you are much cheaper out, since licensing.

mark my words: Open is the way to go, free if it is possible, ending up by your skills, to prove you are good and that you can function in any package dedicated business, at last it’s free to try!

Your ability to promote yourself and the skills you posses determine what you can reach, not which package you use!
As far packages have any influence, Blender has the biggest advantages!

Think larger then today, Blender will grow very fast and get big quick.

The only exception are slow medium companies, who have invested in their licenses and do not want to waste this, well a quick training is cheaper and is profitable the same year, when choosen to switch to Blender. It’s simple marketing: switching is cheaper. So small companies will switch as soon as the knwo how good Blender is and how much money they safe.
The problem lies in promotion and convincing those companies/descission makers!

About these tutorials: yes it’s hard to learn this, since it’s for an other package. But I do not advise you to switch package, but to switch tutorial :wink:

I haven’t got any idea how good you are, but Blender has great tutorials to become a strong user. Once you followed these tutorials, you have all the skills to make such nice car models and renders. Really it isn’t so hard once you know your packages, and I’m sure that doing it in Blender (since you already know Blender) is more easier then changing to a whole new package you have to learn.

Most tutorials which trough you off are about tools. Easily ignore these.
Download some tutorials about how to model a car at 3d-palace.com, they are free available for download. Do not listen to what tools, but watch the technique, there are some differences in tools, but watch these tutorials on HOW they build up a model. It’s not the tool but the artist who knows how to make something, it doesn’t matter if you use clay, 3ds Max, Maya, Blender or metal. Blender owns lines, vertices, faces etc. just as these tutorials use. The difference is how you should use you tools (Blender), but that you already know, simply follow the blenderunderground tutorials for example. It’s all about perception and learning how to see with/develop your 3D eyes. :smiley: