Which do you prefer: Blender 2.49 or Blender 2.56?

I’m using 2.56 just because I know there are features that will be completed eventually (cloth hair) that will never be in 2.49. I also like the more interactive way the tools work with the 3D display. Best of all for me is the drop down menus that offer lists of named objects to chose from instead of having to remember an exact spelling.

I do dearly miss the knife cut tool.

While there are definitely still a few things missing, the amount of new features and improvements that have been made since 2.5 outweighs those items that are still missing. The ones that top my list personally are:

• Having everything animatable
  • The new interface is amazing
  • Volumetric Shading
  • Solidify Modifier
  • Smoke Simulator

I’m probably forgetting a few but those are the ones that jump to mind. And the majority of the stuff that’s still missing is on the todo list so it’s simply a matter of time till they’re reimplemented.

Hold Down K then drag your LMB, its not as fully featured as 2.49’s but its there

2.5x for me all the way, but then again i was using it when it was grape juice and baby spew

Testing the awesome new features in the 2.5/2.6 series has been great fun. Unfortunately, however, the new Blender has remained too unstable for some reason, at least on my pc. Crashing more than 5 times every work session (approx 4hrs). Moreover, the fact that it crashes almost everytime I undo makes testing concepts very difficult and anything but the simplest projects take twice as long to complete. It recently dawned on me that I was either missing deadlines or overworking myself. I’ve since switched back to my old Kai’s build of 2.49b. It’s also very feature rich but it’s the workflow efficiency and stability, not the features, that helps me meet tight deadlines.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll keep testing every new version of Blender till I find one stable enough, but for now I’m staying with 2.49b.:slight_smile:

For me it isn’t even close… 2.5/2.6 is a quantum leap forward (though we really need the API to be finished and locked down so addons can be put into the system without fear that next build will break them…)

My major interest and use of Blender is all about modelling, and i must say that despite i am used since all that testing time to the 2.5/2.6 interface, i continue to do everything much quicker in 2.49b than i do in 2.6x.
So it’s just natural for me to have 2.49b being always my best version of Blender.

Now i wonder if 2.63 will change my practices as it should be the first stable release that will have (if all goes well) the new bmesh code (and so supposedly stable), i wonder if it is then the version that will “win my heart” over my old 2.49b favorite.

I actually like 3.49 best… >.> Perhaps that’s because I took a class on Blender with that version, but 2.5 is absolutely amazing.

im a fan of 2.61 myself.

I’d say 2.49 because they got rid of the audio Window in the newer versions. Why the heck did they do that? I needed that audio window so i could see the sound waveform of my audio file. whenever i import audio clips into the sequencer, it doesnt show the sound waveform and we need that to help sync the mouth movements. That is why i prefer 2.49 over any newer version.

2.6x has audio waveforms in the sequencer, you just have to enable them. I think there’s a checkbox in the N or T panel, I don’t have time to look right now.

Edit: Got some time, found it. :slight_smile: It’s in the N panel

http://i.imgur.com/ZKJmr.png