Which laptop should I get for Blender?

Hello, I have recently downloaded blender on my PC and am interested in purchasing a laptop since I am often away from home and would like to continue developing my skills. I am still an amateur but would like to eventually work on serious animations on this program. Therefore I am looking for a laptop that can handle the program well without lagging. My budget is low around $1000-$1500. I am considering getting a MacBook Air but I haven’t been able to find enough information on its capabilities with blender. Obviously I know my low budget means I will have to sacrifice some quality but I am looking for the best I can get within my price range. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I personally think that everything mac you have to pay about 3 times as much for the same hardware… I would personally go for a cheap gaming laptop with a numpad on the keyboard.

4 Likes

Really? The cheapest gaming laptop I could find is around the same price as the MacBook Air. My question is, which one would handle Blender better in your experience?

Compare the graphics card, processor, storage, etc. And if it doesn’t have a numpad yll be making life hard for yourself.

1 Like

get a laptop with enough VRAM because you will not be able to upgrade your GPU

1 Like

Thats not in it for that budget. At max 8Gb.

With a macbook you get less performance for the price.
You might look at the VICTUS Gaming Laptop with a 3060 or with a bit of a bump in the budget a 3070 with the legion series.

Have a look at some different models. I just bought the asus strix g15 with a 3070 ti but thats 2000 euros.

1 Like

Hey there,

It all comes down to the GPU mostly, the CPU should be matchy anyways I guess. And you can add RAM later

If your budget is strictly around 1000-1500$, maybe a bit more, you may try to grab a Geforce 2070 Super. A bit old but 8 gigs and pretty fast even today, maybe take a look at a 3050TI or 3060 but having 8 gigs of VRAM, I may prefer the 2070 Super.

For brands, I would personally go for ASUS, but make sure to check reviews of that specific build (companies often make nearly identical builds)

1 Like

Oh @Nogabliss and you may always check notebookcheck.com for reviews and card comparisons (also cpu- and videocardbenchmark, but notebookcheck is a bit more specific in this case😊)

1 Like

Wow, very useful. Thank you!

1 Like

I have a very mediocre laptop (Intel core i3, 8GB ram, embedded intel HD Grahics 620) and I’d like to know if there are any major issues in upgrading beyond version 2.82?

Render times are no issue, I’m not dreaming about massive animations or simulations (they are already very frustrating) and I haven’t even tried EEVEE (I’m confident cycles is sufficient for my needs).

What I’d like to know, is whether the overall usability (modeling, composing and viewing the scene, etc.) will suffer due to more complicated UI in later versions.

Well, I don’t want to over-simplify this, but I feel, Blender gets better with every version, and CyclesX is pretty good.
I think you can profit from the current 3.1.2
It’s not really the version that matters, rather what you do, and it will most likely be faster.
Also, you can easily switch back anyways, right?
Your settings are in User - App Data - Roaming - Blender Foundation - there, the version number. You can go past the new version welcome screen, then copy the two folders into the new version folder to keep add-ons and settings :blush:

Ok, thanks!

I’m sure that there are always a lot of improvements to look forward to, althoug I’m still quite satisfied with 2.82 :grinning:

Well, one thing that might matter is LTS versions, for longer projects, not to mess up by accident with new stuff. Otherwise, you can give it a try, even use a new install folder and have 2 versions in paralel

If you have a desktop computer at home and access to wifi while on that laptop I’d strongly recommend running Parsec to remote control your desktop. I do it all the time and it’s working really good at 4K 60fps, even at over half a continent away.