Which Linux dist.?

If you’re after 64 bit Debian, did you take a look at Kanotix http://www.kanotix.com/ ? It was the easiest install of any distro I’ve ever tried, the same disk is live / HD install (now on a DVD also), and it comes very complete. I used Kanotix for about a year, the only negative I can think of is that most of the users are German speaking, so getting easy to understand help in English can sometimes take a couple tries. Otherwise, it ran -much- faster than Ubuntu on my machines.

Hehe, I’ve been looking into these 64-bit live CDs. This is a candidate for Debian, but I think I will go with Arch64.

If you’re new to Linux, try Ubuntu. It’s Debian based but is far easier to work with and manage.

@ Dittohead

Besides that, I think Ubuntu is too bloated for my liking. Comes with a lot of packages I will never use.

Is there anything similar (in friendliness) to Ubuntu? I’ve tried the Breezy/Dapper LiveCDs, and I’m having mouse/resolution problems in both (I also tried Slax, and it worked perfectly).

Gentoo all the way baby!!! Once you experience portage you wont want anything else. Yes, it takes more time to install, but I’d rather have speed than bloat. Besides, once you install gentoo a few times, you can do it fairly fast and easy. And there is 64bit. Just my 2 cents.

In that case (being that you’re A) you’re not new and B) I obviously didn’t read your original post well…haha, sorry man!) I’d do gentoo. Gentoo is fun, though it’s a lot of work. You learn quite a bit from it though.

If you decided to go with Arch, let me tell you something: I’m about halfway through building my Arch box (32 bit) and it freakin’ rocks! I cannot believe how much of a performance boost I’ve gotton from moving up. There are some quirks; but as the rumours suggest, the community is awesome.

Try OpenSuSe or Mandrake, they are 2 distros know to be friendly too.

Haha, no problem. Well yeah, I’m gonna go Gentoo some time in the future, but right now I’m using Arch. But I’m looking forward to trying it out, and as you said, you learn a lot from just the installation. :slight_smile: I mean, I was pretty impressed with the skills my sister acquired after getting Gentoo. :stuck_out_tongue:

Arch has great performance, it’s just about Gentoo without the compiling times. :stuck_out_tongue: Although an optimized Gentoo-box is faster, for sure. Yeah, the Arch community is really great. :slight_smile:

There’s 64-bit, but… I think at the moment at least, 64-bit is really alpha. There’s a lot of stuff that doesn’t work 64-bit native, for instance firefox-plugins for flash and java. Wine / Cedega is also hard to set-up. So, I think I’ll wait with a 64-bit native OS until more stuff is 64-bit native.