Which Mac OS X do you use?

I was wondering how many people are running 10.5 over 10.4 and how many people out there are still using 10.3. I’ve been messing around in Cocoa development and noticed a few 10.5 only features.

Objective C and Cocoa are cool but man they are tough to learn if you already are comfortable with another programming language.

I still use 10.4, but I’ll probably upgrade in the next year or so. I was waiting for all the bugs to get worked out of the system first, and I figure programs will stop seeing 10.4 updates as well…

I too have recently been dealing with Cocoa and Objective-C and definitely share your sentiment. So much so that I’ve gone to Carbon and will look back into those later. I was debating between learning Cocoa and exposing it to my C stuff or just doing it all in C, and I guess the latter won from comfort and me wanting to keep the stuff a little easier cross-platform wise, though I haven’t made much progress on either front, so I could still be going back and forth…:spin:

Pays to wait for the later release bug fixes.

No problems with leopard for me.

I use 10.4 and I suspect a lot of people will be too as the Intel Macs ship with 10.4 minimum. There was no Intel version of 10.3 and there isn’t even a standalone version of 10.4 Intel. I think if you aim for 10.4, you should be fine.

Well beating my head against my keyboard for two weeks finally paid off. I can make a simple window with an OpenGL context and bind user input to that frame - as well as update components of that window directly from my OpenGL class.

I recommend Cocoa+ObjC over Carbon and C++, and was a die hard C++ fan too for many years.

Its kind of like Python and makes a lot of sense after a while.

Congratulations.

I was worried about a performance hit and cross platform complications when having the ObjC/Cocoa interface with a predominantly C/C++ code. It seemed for consistency to be good to stay with C/C++, although I realize that its quite possible to do so with no performance issues (mostly and I’ve become very good at search the Apple docs) and things like SDL use a Cocoa window.

Speaking of SDL, my need to do all of my research was spurred on by its somewhat flakey OSX performance in my experience (with window resizes). Hopefully it gets fixed whenever 1.3 comes out…

ObjC can be slower than C or C++, but only when your accessing class members or calling class methods. The rest of the time its just as fast as C - and you can still use C libraries.

If you have the time these are some good links I’ve come across in the last few days.

Excellent introduction to the language:
http://cocoadevcentral.com/articles/000082.php

Really good example of how to use XCode 3:

I really liked ObjC a lot more after reading that article and watching that youtube tutorial. Funny enough I’m starting to take the ideas from that article and use it in my C# coding style at work. I wonder if they will start catching on lol.