which one is more important ¿ , Blender , University ?

Well , after i have connected to the internet at home before something like 4 months , <was Navigating BA since it was elysiun , lol only throgh the library and internet caf’e’s>
well , i have noticed that it consumed a lot of time from me :frowning:

and i can’t study the university lessons too much <there is no time :(, blender is more important :evilgrin:>

btw :- the specialty is Mechatronics Enginering , and those are my first 2 months in the university . (4~5 years are coming)

so how can i manage my time !

i’m too confused between

University
Blender
PSP
PS2
C++ learning
animation learning
other tasks …

how can someone organize himself , thanks guys too much for your advices :slight_smile:

If you cant decide what is important for your life, don’t expect to find the answer from people who don’t know you. You have to solve this problem by yourself. (I don’t want to be rude, I’m just answering to your question)

i know that the univ is more important , but how can i organize my self … <i need techniques that don’t fail>

If you cant decide what is important for your life, don’t expect to find the answer from people who don’t know you. You have to solve this problem by yourself. (I don’t want to be rude, I’m just answering to your question)
no problem man , thanks too much for the advice :slight_smile:

I think getting an education is QUITE important… I mean, you’re probably going to get a job with that education, a job that you get money from, money that you LIVE with. If you catch my drift.

I’m having a similar problem in Highschool.

A method to prioritize yourself would be very helpful for both of us!

Get yourself a day planner. A notebook will do, as long as the pages don’t come out easily. Get only ONE day planner. Use it exclusively.

Block out your schedule: you know your class times, meals, personal time, block it all in. Block in time to study.

Then, when you have a project due, work backwards from the due date to the present.
EG: 10 page paper due on Jan 31.
Jan 28 type final draft
Jan 25 write final draft
Jan 21 write second draft
Jan 16 fact check, additional research
Jan 14 write first draft
Jan 7 research for paper
Jan 4 write outline
Estimate how many hours each task will take and block out the time.

Projects include everything you want to do, school, animation, PSP, whatever. Break your non-university learning into courses with syllabusses, projects and deadlines, just as your university professors do. You want to learn C++ and you have a good book and some internet resources, make up a beginning C++ course, covering the introductory chapters of the book plus two or three simple projects.

The important part: work your plan. Realize there is a trade off: time for quality. If you’ve allocated four hours for research on some topic, at the end of the four hours, you’re done. If you’ve only got enough research for a “C” grade instead of the “A” grade you want, suck it up, take the hit, and do better planning next time. Don’t abandon your plan. Just get better at planning. After a while you’ll be able to tell how long it takes you to get things done at whatever quality level you desire.

The other important part: take breaks – five to ten minutes each hour. You’ll be more productive in the fifty remaining minutes than you would be if you worked straight through. If you’re working five or six hours steady, taking breaks can mean up to 10% to 20% more work accomplished. If you see you have to pull an all-nighter, start with a one hour nap.

You’ll need a timer or an alarm clock. Keeping track of time is important.

Now, if this sounds mechanical and regimented, trust me: it is. But unscheduled interruptions will eat up all your time if you let them. When Joe Timewaster drops by to chat about the lastest music, if you know what spending an hour or two chatting with Joe means in terms of your goals, you’ll be less inclined to let old Joe interfere with your plans. Don’t be rude, take that five minute break early, but at the end of the five minutes, you know you have to tell Joe you’ve got work to do.

Oh man… Learning programming takes soooooo much time out of your life. I spent a LOT of time working on the last program of the quarter. Let me see… about 40 hours. I don’t think very many people were able to finish their programs. I still had a few bugs in mine. Unfortunately, I ended up taking away blender. It was mostly because I’m stuck with this old laptop. Speaking of time scheduling, I should be getting ready for my Monday finals…

Orinoco and others , thanks too too much . I apreciate it , convincing , i will apply it and tell you :slight_smile:

orinoco,

that kind of plan helped me too :slight_smile:

thx, i’ll try it out…

I agree entirely with Orinoco. (And I assure you that the “pigment-challenged” hairs that have lately been appearing in my moustache are either “pure coincidence” or “a dreadful mistake.”) :wink:

You do need to finish school. It’s important to finish things, and it’s important to get some real perspective outside of 3D graphics. You see, right now “3D graphics” is new and wunnerful and it’s the cat’s-miaow and you imagine that you’ll spend the rest of your life doing it and you feel so cool using words like “133t” and …

… and then, those “pigment-challenged hairs” start showing up. Twenty years have passed and for all those years you have done nothing but graphics and that’s all you’ve ever done and gawd!! are you sick and tired of it and … now what?

(Think I’m daft? “Yew just wait, 'enry 'iggins! Yew just wait!”)

So… get some perspective.

again , thanks for posting :slight_smile:

Orinoco’s got a some good advice. The hardest and most important thing is to follow the plan, whatever it is. You have to “trust your system”. You do need to consider your goals and priorities periodically, but after you decide on them, the day-to-day annoying little things we have to do is why things pile up on us :frowning:

If you need a bit more guidance, a current popular planning method is called “Getting Things Done”. There are long and short versions of it and various books and tools, and you can wax philosophical but basically, it’s bottom up rather than top down. You start with what you know you need to do, and then get ALL your “projects” out of your head and into your organizer, including anything you want to do “someday”.
Basically, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS write tasks or plans down and mark a time and action for anything you aren’t done with (and always put stuff away, wherever it should go). It’s called discipline. Also known as work. :stuck_out_tongue:

For example, read your email (at intervals, not every time you get a message) - don’t leave it in your inbox: 1) delete it 2) file it if you need it for reference or audit, or 3) decide what ACTION you must take. Could be laugh and delete or file under jokes, or “take 2 minutes and write back”. Could be someone asking you for a complicated decision, in which case the action might be “read again to figure out what’s needed and then research something” (“decide” is not an action and takes no time - “research” or “prioritize options” is what takes time) and then write back afterward. It could be do some 30 minute task, but decide: what and when you will come back to it.
(Most people use the inbox as their filing system but you can’t tell what’s done nor see everything related at a glance - regardless of Gmail search claims! ;))

It’s very liberating to be able to look in your inbox and see 2 messages that you can take care of in 2 minutes instead of a mass of ‘stuff’… which is what my inbox has gotten to again. :o I have let it get away and it does slow me down.
One problem many of us have is interuptions and lack of ability to schedule our own tasks, which really makes it hard to plan.

Of course, 20 years of graphics… 20 years of programming and what have you got? Nothing but obsolete code that gets tossed when they buy something off the shelf. And it’s so tedious to still be doing the same horrid stuff… :confused: At least it’s been a living.

Oh no… What am I getting myself into? Hmm… I am currently in a computer engineering major where I study a mix of hardware and software. I was thinking about switching to computer science to do only software, but you’re making me think again…

Sam, you gotta look at a bunch of things, which your school counsellors had better know and be able to help you with - if they are earning their salary.

1. what are you goals in life, besides “have a good job”? (why)
  2. what do you like to do? (enjoyment)
  3. what CAN you do? (apptitude)
  4. what careers are a good match for all of the above? (career tests can indicate how similar your abilities and interests are to people in different fields)
  5. what careers are going to be of some marketable value for the next decade (beyond that is pointless to speculate)?
  6. and evenually, what specialty is your best bet to meet the above?

Avail yourself of all the career counselling you can! Information is available that gives estimates for different fields, careers, jobs, specialities, by area and job market size and pay, etc, etc. The only problem is, what you see at first tends to be very general. You will have to dig to find out the real story. “Computer jobs are big, great to go into!” Well, some are, some aren’t.

Computer hardware? Well, System Administrator used to be very important, widespread and lucrative. Not any more. Only the big companies have that job, and a very complex one it is. Most “hardware” jobs these days is swapping cards and reinstalling Windows at Best Buy or worse. Are there descent hardware jobs? Sure, but I bet it’s mostly Electrical Engineers only. Probably in Japan or China designing computer boards, etc. And then it gets made in China. Are there other possibilities? Sure, but how many of them? Are you good enough to get them? Maybe.

Software has become a much narrower and smaller field over the last decade, between outsourcing and off-the-shelf packages. Despite working in the field for the last 20 years, I couldn’t begin to give advice to anyone starting out any more. I’m not the project manager type (which is where the only real local demand is, currently) and don’t even know where I’m going career-wise over the next 10 years. Probably just trying to hang on while the early boomers retire and trying to pick up enough new stuff to be still employable, breadth of experience, rather than just a code-monkey. And maybe learning stuff like 3D :wink: Of course, the big animation studios outsource stuff to the far-east already…

I can’t see the trend to outsoucing overseas as reversing in any short term, for example. It’s just so much cheaper. Maybe in 10 years it will have equalized, or maybe India will be subcontracting outsourcing to Africa with OLPC-trained kids.

Even a lot of university these days is concerned more with training for a particular job as opposed to “an education” because people can’t afford an education debt and no job at the end. Part of the reason I went to a technical college instead, but nowadays, companies want a degree as WELL as the technical training.

Eh. Good luck! And get some counselling, but remember to take it with a grain of salt. They may know more than you, but they can’t see the future any better.

The best thing is to do something you love and are good at. Enthusiasm goes a long way.

LOL, oh please. If you stopped asking questions like these you would have more time.

You just started school and your Dad says whats goes, right? He took your computer away last time you spent to much time playing.

Thats funny.

degebel :slight_smile: , samf :slight_smile: , thanks

Thats funny.
yeah , too funny ,LOL …

I met with my counselor today. All of my classes will be about the same for the first two years, so I can figure out which courses I liked better to decide on a specific path. As for priorities… it is winter break, and I’m free until next quarter!!