Which version of Blender is better - 2.79 or 2.80 beta?

(Wonder World) #1

Which version of Blender is better - 2.79 or 2.80 beta?
Your suggestion would really help!

0 Likes

(z01ks) #2

If you’re a beginner, it makes more sense to start from 2.8. If you start from 2.79 you would have to get used to 2.8 later.

4 Likes

If I have to start an important job right now I use 2.79, but in general I prefer to use 2.8 to better understand the new interface :wink:

3 Likes

Same. 2.79 is still quicker for me, but im slowly moving towards 2.8

1 Like

(Helmut S.) #5

No, its not that simple unfortunately. Are you a seasoned 3D pro or just starting out? Using 2.8 as a beginner you would not know whether the fault is yours or Blender’s - and that can be a real PITA. It can happen with previous versions too of course, but probability is much lower, 2.79 is very reliable and battle-hardened.
You may learn a deprecated UI if you start with 2.79, however you should not focus around an UI anyway, it is just the surface, an interface after all. I expect 2.79 will need to be around for some time as a backup and workaround, the transition time until 2.8 will hum flawlessly will drag for a while, so knowing the “old” interface might still be beneficial.

If you’re a veteran on the other hand you know the game. But you would not have asked that question then. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Gavin Scott) #6

There are good arguments for both, but I would recommend 2.80 at this point.

1 Like

(z01ks) #7

Good point. I personally haven’t found any major bugs or misbehviors in 2.8 recently but yeah you might want a more reliable environment for learning and avoid a beta version in that case.

0 Likes

(Kevin Milner) #8

what DOES suck is if you have about 8 months experience struggling to learn blender 2.79, but then you have to decide if you want to keep learning soon-to-be-deprecated stuff or if you want to struggle with incomplete documentation and features that work differently than you have come to expect.

0 Likes

(joseph raccoon) #9

I’m using 2.8 with the 2.7x defaults…what can I say, I’m lazy.

0 Likes

its easy to transition. just give it a week :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

(colkai) #11

Which is better? 2.80, which is more stable? 2.79 as 2.80 is in Beta. Given they are free and can happily sit side by side, just install both, a lot of what you’ll learn in 2.79 will serve you just as well in 2.80

If you are a hobbyist and don’t mind the odd strange crash, then 2.80 just feels more fluid to work in.

0 Likes

I would jump into a swimming pool filled with broken glass before going back to the 2.79 interface.

3 Likes

(Kevin Milner) #13

“Its an easy transition”
IF you already know what you are doing. Or already have some modicum of talent. I’m a perma-noob though :frowning:
I am sticking with it however. what else do I have going on?

0 Likes

(colkai) #14

Right there with ya bud, I have been “playing” in 3D now for many years, but see people who’ve only used it for 6 months leaving me in the dust. I don’t have to make a living from it though, so learning is half the fun. :nerd_face::sunglasses:

0 Likes

(Wonder World) #15

I am a beginner currently learning

0 Likes

(Wonder World) #16

I started a week ago…what do you say now?

0 Likes

(colkai) #17

Play with 2.80, it’s only going to improve and it’s a lot of fun. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(David Spector) #18

I’m a beginner, but I’ve already been learning 2.79b for several weeks. I can barely do simple things in Blender. Actions, rigging, bones, function editing, animating transparency, Python, rendering techniques–all these are way beyond what I know… It took me hours of web searching and Blender experimenting to discover how to delete a keyframe! I took several CG Cookie courses and learned maybe 1% of what I need.

Don’t get me wrong–I love Blender as compared to several other tools I played around with. But 2.79 is complex, inconsistent, and frustrating enough for me; 2.8 is just plain scary to imagine.

0 Likes

(ambi) #19

One of the main goals of 2.80 seems to me have been to make it more accessible for beginners.

0 Likes

(Gavin Scott) #20

If you hate 2.79 you’ll probably love 2.80. Give it a try!

0 Likes