Which Version of linux is best to run Blender?

Just wondering which type of Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSUSE etc.) is best for running blender on?

ubuntu, some computer for durian use it. it’s popular anyway so you will get many support from the forum

It absolutely doesn´t matter if you run Debian, Gentoo, Arch, Redhat, OpenSuse with KDE, gnome or XFCE, fluxbox or whatsoever.
As long as there is some X server running with openGL support, Blender runs, and usually runs well.

The devil sleeps in the detail of setting your distry up, how packages are maintained, if the distribution has easy access to non-free firmware and prop hardware drivers.

If you want to insert a pendrive/dvd/cd, install and have it ready to run, I too suggest to get Ubuntu.

I am a fan of KDE, but lately… Plasma got bloated and is buggy, all that KDE was is dead, so currently I prefere Ubuntu, which is using gnome as desktop environment. It has its similarities to MacOS, which is actually a good thing usabilitywise.
It installs smooth, you don´t need to compile drivers like the nvidia driver by hand.
It just works is nicely maintained and got the “superior” debian package managment - meaning your packages got auto dependencies, no searching for missing packages, and you got ready to run packages for your kernel, no need to compile every piece of software yourself.

Another huge advantage in Ubuntu is the vast bottom up support.
Users help users and the community forums are flooded with all kinds of solved problems, I am sure If you want to connect your toaster via USB to your ubuntu and let it pop out toast in the rythm of your mp3s, someone already got a solution for that :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been using Linux for about 15yrs and gone through many distros in that time, but I’ve stayed the longest on Ubuntu, since it’s inception moving from Gentoo which just became a geek maintenance game spending more time trying to fix broken ebuilds and dependancy problems, the sort of thing that plagued early Redhat distros.

The last few days I made a massive, massive mistake installing a KDE based distro having used Gnome for years, enjoying Gnomes speed and simplicity but power too.

I installed KXStudio, a really nice cutting edge distro but KDE based. I’ve found KDE as it currently stands utter crap, slow, bloated and buggy, not just slow but like wading through sweet sticky treacle, unable to use it, geez even the logon takes 2 or 3 times that of Gnome, turning off all the sickly blur, effects etc made little difference.

Luckily Gnome was a login option so was able to use it until I had time to get a clean Linux Mint Fluxbox install on, upgraded that to Maverick Meerkat (for curring edge and instability) :slight_smile:

Fluxbox window manager, which I used to use years ago was such a refreshing change again and stark contrast to KDE. Reading forums about KDE sluggishness was met with devs placing blame with buggy drivers. Go figure, same distro suddenly gained speed and responsiveness using Gnome WM at logon instead.

I’d strongly suggest a Ubuntu based distro and Gnome as your Window Manager. :slight_smile:

I am so with you.
I use Linux since Debian 2 now… so holy crap. ~20 years.
Used XFCE, Fluxbox and then KDE3. I liked KDE3 a lot, as KDE2 was utter crap, also the transition to KDE is easier for windows users than to gnome in my opinion, but KDE went down the drain.

Gnome was like a bird with broken wings, and KDE the swiz army knive.
Now KDE is a 10 ton snail with ho’ makeup, running through a labyrinth made of salt, dieing at each corner, and Gnome remained slim and easy but left most of its worries behind and got a star in usability.

So I stick with gnome now and hope KDE5 will be what 3 was to 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

And one changes over the years, while it was fun to recompile KDE and xorg, spending 3 days on it to turn all buttons from red to green :smiley: nowadays I want to install Linux and have fast access to a rocksolid working environment.

All in favor of Ubuntu say Aye!

Aye! :smiley:

Yeah, that’s how I remember it too. :slight_smile:

When I moved from Windows at about v3.11 / 95 to Linux I thought it was all about a MS Windows replacement, if the interface didn’t work like Windows it wasn’t good enough so I struggled with Gnome, KDE 3 fitted the mindset more with it’s ‘Bells and Whistles’, it was good from memory but still slower than Gnome even at that time.

But hardened Linux users were all about clean and simple with Gnome berating KDE for it’s Windows similarities and slowness in comparison. :slight_smile: Slowly the need for it all to be like Windows receeded along with my hairline from pulling it out. :slight_smile:

My aim was a speedy clean uncluttered interface, on ATI hardware at the time, no 3D acceleration, no proprietary drivers (ATI really sucked then as they do now from a Linux support aspect), so Blender was sluggish :slight_smile: but I found Fluxbox, to my rescue. :slight_smile:

Now a mixture of Fluxbox and Gnome on a solid well supported Ubuntu base, personal choice, no doubt there are many Redhat or whatever it’s called these days, Gentoo, Slackware, Opensuse distro users out there, wonderful to have choice.

Yeh, freedom is a wonderful thing, but worthless without information because then its randomness :smiley:
I find it often that new linux users are steamrolled with all the distributions and it is hard to explain the differences without writing a whole book on the topic :smiley: And although arch for instance has its advantages most will never try it once you said you got to compile everything yourself and get all necessary libraries yourself while some will not touch Ubuntu because its too much out of the box… tagline “then I can stick with windows”

So the answer is in Ubuntu with Gnome. God it is ugly though.

On of the problems I had with Ubuntu is that I could never get the latest version of Blender. I am a Linux noob so I’m sure I did something wrong. But I would download Blender from the site and click on it and nothing would happen. Linux is not a very intuitive system, to me. At least, when I get stuck, I just give up and go back to Windows.

There fix that for you.

Arch offers large binary repositories (the lack of a GUI installer does helps keep the noobs out ;)).

@atom, yeah that’s almost certainly due to libraries versions / naming differing between distros and build systems, always a gamble trying to run a binary built on say Ubuntu on another Linux distro. But with regard to blender it’s simple to build on Linux anyway, no need to get a pre built binary.

@N30N, same as going to Graphicall, downloading a prebuilt binary (for one’s distro, re. atom) fire it up, no GUI installer, no installing to be done. Plenty of Linux noobies doing that. :slight_smile:

@N30N:
mental hickup from my side. I didn´t mean Arch… I meant the infamous Gentoo :smiley: shrugs

@Atom:
So far I never had any problems with the prebuild binaries from blender.org
If you want I can make you a screenshot walkthrough how to do that =)

The version simply needs to run efficiently on your hardware, and you need to be comfortable knowing how to use it. That’s it. That’s all.

@arexma: Currently I don’t have a Linux distro on any of my partitions, so no need to make a walkthrough for me.

I too started with Linux a long time ago … if I recall correctly, there was a magazine called “boot magazine” (now Maximum PC) which had Debian on the BootCD and that was my first experience which only turned out to be a success because one of my friends was a Debian developer …

A few years ago, I bought an Toshiba Qosmio laptop that came with XP Multimedia Edition but now it runs Ubuntu (switched from fedora)

For the longest time, I never cared much about Ubuntu but the latest release is very good and it’s all I run now. Of coarse the majority of my work is done on the Mac so I have less use for Linux but still, for certain tasks, nothing else will do!

I was glad to read the KDE comments because the other day, someone asked me for help with changing the background. The OS was PCLinux running the latest KDE desktop.
What a joke!!!
Bill Gates must be smiling when he looks at KDE!
I was always a Gnome desktop fan and have never understood the KDE craze but sheesh, KDE sucks!

I like the game engine performance under Linux because on my old laptop, I still get 60 fps (much less on windows)

Ciao amigos :slight_smile:

Gentoo, for performance.

it’s a distro which basically compiles itself and all of its software packages, so in theory it should run everything optimized for your particular machine. I wouldn’t recommend it for a Linux n00b, though.

I have a spare laptop, Dell Inspiron B190, that is currently running XP. It’s obsolete, pretty much empty and who knows how long it will last after a year + of constant heavy duty service as the driver for some digital signage. So it seems like a good candidate for trying out linux, and I’d be willing to do a clean install and wipe XP from it’s hard drive.

How does one do this and where do I go to get Ubuntu, Gimp and other programs that I might need? Are there sites that will give me help?

You can get Ubuntu here:-
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

There is a package management system, and many of the applications you need are in the repositories, so you can tell it to download and install whatever you need.

You can get help from the community at ubuntuforums.org
Many applications also have their own support forums.