White Glass lamp material guidance?

Blackbody:

• very short answer: the color of temperature… think of a glowing piece of iron ( black smith)
  • long answer WikiPedia :wink:

I use Blackbody myself, I just never made it view angle dependent. So I’m just curious if this is something that is observed that I don’t know about, or just some artistic choice to give it some “additional visual flavor”.

1 Like

Oh… yes… :thinking: …maybe this is somekind of fresnel like “adaption” of the thickness of the light bulb so that the color do look a little different at the “border” of the bulb… ← if this line of thought does make any sense :sweat_smile:

@Okidoki you’re close! :slight_smile:

@CarlG As I said, the color part is something that I normally tweak, depending on the scene.
The Blackbody is just to produce some nice temperature colors.
The fallout is to mimic the energy absorption in the ‘milky’ layer, which isn’t really an emitter and it has some (small) thickness. When light hits this substance, it will diffuse in all directions but some energy will be lost at greater angles.

1 - you may be right… my first thought was that a ray hits the Glass surface first, and then the refracted ray hits the ‘milky’ layer, so the glossy closure would come first… :confused:

2 - If the ‘milky’ layer has some transparency, then rays will pass through… but as the top glass is a thin-glass, the refraction won’t be noticeable at facing angles.

2 Likes

Glossy surfaces, especially ones with low roughness, are never going to look very good without an environment to reflect, especially if you compare them with reference that has all sorts of interesting reflections. So my advice is to add an environment or at least other objects around to liven up the reflections and make appreciating the material easier

Thank you, @Secrop. I implemented your setup in my scene here:

Lamps OFF

Lamps ON

I like having a “switch” now; it’s really convenient since I want to animate it.

I did not get the comment with the glossy here:

1 - you may be right… my first thought was that a ray hits the Glass surface first, and then the refracted ray hits the ‘milky’ layer, so the glossy closure would come first I was confused:

I would love to hear your opinions, all about how you feel about it.

Thank you

Thanks. I’ll keep it under consideration next time.

If you interest paid material library, you can look VMATS.

One 10W bulb and other closed bulbs with Filmic tone mapping without Glow:

Standard tone mapping:

1 Like