White Living Room

I’m not sure I’m understanding it correctly, but using clamping with filmic is like killing its benefits.
Clamping at 9 for direct lighting and 5 for indirect as far as I understanding is breaking the linearity of filmic which is its biggest advantage.

Of course it’s much better than the default color management and of course it looks good in my eyes.

On the other hand I’ve seen good results from people doing all kind of weird stuff.
Some their canceling GI and “physical correctness” almost 100%, by clamping at values way below 1.00. I’ve even seen clamping at 0.05, which again as far as I understand it is similar to using BI. Just direct lighting + AO.

Of course maybe I got it all wrong and someone more clever or expert can explain it to me and all of us.

You are right. But i dont have the patience to render without clamping.
And if it looks good to me im fine with that. :slight_smile:

Thats OK with me too.
Keep up the good work :wink:

Small Test, 7000 samples no clamping

@ArcHWiZ

That was very useful although I was expecting it to be lighter than the clamped one. (Or maybe there’s some post production involved).

My conclusion from my own experiments with filmic in interior and exterior/studio scenes and from your little test is:

1. Filmic can be used with little time cost in exterior/studio scenes and adds great quality in combination with my PBR shaders.

2. Filmic in interior scenes, even with portals, adds a lot of render-time. (To be totally honest I haven’t so far reached a satisfactory noise level even with more than 10,000 samples, sometimes I can even get rid of fireflies).

So if you want to cut your times to an acceptable level you have to adopt all the known “hacks” (eg. clamping, AO, caustics off, reducing bounces etc).

All of these cancel more or less the greatness of filmic blender.
So to me it looks like it doesn’t make much difference if we use filmic (correct) color management or the default sRGB (faulty) one, since we have to move away from a linear (PBR) work-flow and we have to choose the less evil “hack”.

Although I use it professionally I feel that Cycles is kind of limited when it comes to Archviz.
As long as it remains a pure path-tracer it will always be slow and noisy for interior scenes at least for the average user.

Even the de-noising branch didn’t get me satisfactory results so far.

Here it is with clamp and 7000 samples. I think filmic blender is useful even with this hacks. U have no burnout white anymore, and you got less saturation in bright spots. Over all more natural light.

Agree with what ArchWiz was mentioning. The most important thing´s still the result you get. Cycles is powerful, but without clamping and a little bit of cheating, you will not get a decent result (maybe this will change if adaptive sampling´s there, but so far…). Sure Filmic´s real power can only be unleashed by not using clamps and AO - but it´s not worth it, if the rendering process takes 10 times as long as before, by maybe gaining 10% in quality. I think what matters most is a good balance of rendertime and quality. These last 10% in rendering quality can also be achieved in post production. In no time. What I´m about to say: rendering a really good image shouldn´t be rocket science - and filmic still can increase the realism of your final image, even if you leave all other settings untouched. As I mentioned before: its the balance, that matters most.

I agree in most of what you said but my question was absolutely specific for using filmic and not of how you can produced a nice image.

I’ve seen great render with BI so f**ckin what?

Even I rarely render an animation or my motion graphics clips (all NPR and stylized) with Cylces (deadly slow). I use BI.
Some people render a base image and do the heavy work on “Post” that’s OK too/
Choose your poison.
I’m just interested in implementing filmic in my own work-flow.
In my tests clamping vs no clamping has a huge impact on the final image.

How do you get everything so white instead of grey? With only 2 somewhat small windows, everything is evenly illuminated. The back wall has about the same value as the wall above the LCD TV. It’ very realistic. Is there some special trick to this white material?

I love the way you have designed the living room furniture. It looks trendy and chic. The color shades are done perfectly. You have perfectly shown the sunlight reflection on the wall and floor. It would be better if you have changed the carpet, it looks so plain. I like that design but seem to be bit flat. As DraectDesign said, a velvet or fur rug would be awesome.
What about the bedroom furniture? Have you designed it? Like to see your creations.