White-out effect? (Not sure what it's called)


I’m having trouble finding guidance on a certain effect and I think it’s probably because I don’t know what you call it. It’s an effect where some element in a scene begins to emit light and the strength of that light grows so that the entire picture goes white. The effect is such a cliche that there must be tutorials and examples everywhere, but I’m not finding them, so I’m guessing it’s because I don’t know the right name to call it by.

At any rate, in this particular case, I’m going to have a short snippet of video playing on a flat surface (more or less like you’d get at an old drive-in movie). As the snippet of video ends, I want it (or the surface that the video is playing on) to emit its own light and then white-out the screen. I’ve learned how to achieve everything but this white-out effect. I’ve tried playing with halo settings and that seems to go in the right direction, but it’s not quite right yet. Is this something you’d do in the compositor maybe? Glow? Flare?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.