Who crying for new features always looks like a professional.

Blender is good in many aspects… but really for some bigger projects in bigger studios… it just dosn’t work… and this is not about optymalization it is about standards… fileformats… etc…

Why are people calling Endi a troll? Maybe he could have expressed himself better, but his points are valid. For production you need software that’s stable, with features that are well designed and “polished”. If new features are constantly added, there’s not enough time to deal with the many ToDos that accumulate from rejected bug reports. It is an issue, and Endi has been consistent in bringing it up. “Blender is unuseable, we need new features” always makes me smile.

Dear abc123,

This thread is friggin hilarious.

Some individuals with uber sensitive feelings who desperately need to lighten up and find a sense of humor may feel otherwise.

But life is short and as much as I love Blender, CG animation is not brain surgery or rocket science and this thread cracks me up.

Well, i’m not professional, i’m really far from that, but with every new feature in blender i feel like a child that found a couple of colored pencils. :stuck_out_tongue:
And i’m very proud of the few things i made in blender, even if they can’t be compared with the works of more skilled blender-users.
I’m also happy when these people give c&c and help.
Something that endi is sadly not doing.
But: new features extend the range of possibilities, crying for new features not. In this point i agree with endi.

Hope that was comprehensible english :confused:

Happy blending,
Johannes

Some member(s) dont realize they not only took the bait, but pointed fingers and are now the receiving end of the joke.

This goes without saying:

Endi, stop it. Nobody cares. Don’t you have better things to do?

You’ve been whining about this for so many years now and the only thing it accomplished was piss people off. Blender keeps going forward with or without you.

However valid his point might be, he hasn´t come up with any new points since 2005. If you guys think that´s funny… I guess you´re easily amused.

I have barely seen any features that were included because the “amateur fanbase” cried for it.
Blender thrives from independent contributors, programmers spending their time for us.

Being a programmer myself, there’s nothing more boring than maintaining existing code, especially not something you wrote yourself, debugging it or whatever it.
Most exciting is to work on new features, do some pioneering, try stuff.

And I think a lot of the majority of new features come from two sources:

1. Requirements during the open projects.
  2. Programmers having fun doing what they do.

There are a lot of dead branches already, because this fun didn’t result in anything useful or suitable for a merger.

There are only a few community wishes that came reality, and not without afford, like OcenSim…

So, saying this new features “kill Blender” IMO is a slap in the face of how the BF develops Blender, and an insult to all the developers spending their time.

So, to blow the old trumpet: If you don’t like the way Blender is developed, fork it and hire/setup your own team to debug and maintain the code.

The only issue I have with what you said lay in the fact that which you explained is also what holds Blender back to some degree.

It almost seems like developers want to come in, do their own thing because its fun and bail when its not. That neglecting code nor choosing to perfect it, especially when someone else wrote it because its not fun, seems to slap the end user in the face as well as the software as a whole.

Given this interpretation, why would anyone want to pay for a team to turn blender into what they want, when they could spend much much much less and get another software application that puts the end user and the goal above the whims of the programmers who are akin to individuals doing their own thing rather than focusing on the goal of the entire package.

A user shouldnt be encouraged just to shut up and take it because thats how some decided things are.

Uncle Entity,

I just read your reply.

I’ll take your advice and avoid this person. Still think it’s funny but whatever.

Cheers everyone.

Yes, but that’s another topic and it’s not Blender exclusive, most if not all FOSS projects suffer from that illness.
But here Endi blames it on the users crying for new features and not being as professional as he is… which I hearty disagree with.
If I was asked I had to assume :wink: he’s a dramatic, egocentric person with the social skills of a brick…
But I don’t know him.

This is a lot better in Blender that in other FOSS projects, where there is no real foundation behind it, coordinating and driving efforts.
FOSS projects are often a rocket with a motley crew and no navigator :wink:

Because of the FOSS spirit?
You can go and buy XYZ, it’ll help you, benefit you, make you happy, and Autodesk obviously and don’t have to “waste” a single buck on Blender… but the community?
I paid for the OceanSim, I paid for Bsurface and other stuff.
I have used some of it, some I haven’t yet in a production, nor do I think I really will… why pay?
Because I thought it is a good feature, and Blender should have it and someone else might need it… and in return at one point the person at which feature I chipped in with to help him get “his” feature, will chip in to raise the funds to get “my” feature.
I also don’t always agree with the way Blender is developed, but that doesn’t mean I can’t use it, or I stop to think of it as a great project as whole.
I believe if one really thinks he’s wasting time or money on Blender, he lacks the spirit and it’s best to just turn away and sail off to another shore.

The Blender user has no rights per se - only privileges.
What right does a Blender user have to tell the BF or a developer what to implement and what not and how to do it?
Because he donated? It was the persons choice to donate, it’s not like he bought anything or paid for anything.
People wanted OceanSim, raised funds, and got it implemented… what they wanted, the way they wanted and it even got into trunk, originally it was a branch. There someone was paid to do what you want.

On the other side, what would Blender be without the user-base and community?
Often suggestions from the user-base get picked up and improve Blender.

The problem is, especially in this forum that there is a “rule” where you don’t criticize Blender, you don’t suggest or anything. You might as well swim with sharks… and if you want something, pay for it or do it yourself.
It doesn’t mean that the developers think the same way… looking at Nicholas, PsyFi, ideasman, dingto and even Brecht… they are here, they read, but they seldom comment and don’t judge but they often react, and fast. From time to time also Ton pops up in a thread. So I am sure they read suggestions, concerns and other stuff.

So just because the forum community tells you to STFU, doesn’t mean that your voice isn’t heard…

Philisophical almost religious topic to discuss :wink:

actually it could be surgery or rocket science if ur using cad to design a rocket or navigate someones innerds… which blender is horrible for. no direct measurment system, no material stress test views, it just IS

HAY!!! in my defence you can never have too much ram… lol

Lol sure you can =P For example, back with 32 bit OS…even if you put in 8 gigs of RAM, windows would only use 4gigs (technically it was closer to 3gigs). Even 64 bit systems have their cut off as to how much RAM can actually be used.

In all seriousness though, the feature creep applies more to features than hardware components.

Oh I agree, and would never suggest otherwise. This isnt to say FOSS are bad, but thats just the nature of the beast. It doesnt mean it has to be that way though, it just takes some hard core design docs, community support and community organizing with a common goal in mind.

Sometimes we see aspects of it when a creative project is run by a larger team, regardless of FOSS status or not. The rule is that the more who contribute to the project and the more people who are involved, the focus and vision starts to become diluted and lost. I dont think anyone can say its easy to find that balance between developers and unified vision.

The Blender user has no rights per se - only privileges.
What right does a Blender user have to tell the BF or a developer what to implement and what not and how to do it?
Because he donated? It was the persons choice to donate, it’s not like he bought anything or paid for anything.
People wanted OceanSim, raised funds, and got it implemented… what they wanted, the way they wanted and it even got into trunk, originally it was a branch. There someone was paid to do what you want.

On the other side, what would Blender be without the user-base and community?
Often suggestions from the user-base get picked up and improve Blender.

True, one of the worst side effects for any user base…heck even citizens in this world in general… is the sense of entitlement. This can obviously go both ways in regards to Blender as well…

For example, because its a FOSS it has the ability to radically change and do so without worry unlike commercial apps, whose user base paid for and expects a certain sameness in its development. Blender, because its donation based and probably grant based, can change its UI and control scheme overnight. Still, its met (even with those who have given nothing) with the entitlement that Blender cant change or has to remain the same. Remember those upset at the 2.5 changes for example?

Anyways, software no matter what form it comes in and how its developed should never forsake the end user, because ultimately its a tool for the end user. :wink:

@abc123
Meanwhile, you missed some great new features in blender.
For instance, I haven’t seen you posting some nice sculpting. Neither a decent render.
But, you’re a professional and you don’t care much.
I have to admit it. I don’t much like some professionals. They tend to be so predictable, most of the time.
You missed a lot of features, lot of possible workflows, even from the blender 2.49b time.
But, you don’t seem to enjoy the show. You don’t have much fun. Pity.
Who’s the professional and who’s the amateur, we will see soon.

agreed… and agreed… and, erm, agreed, but pop it in ubuntu or 7 and you can OC the hell out of 64gb lol. and your right technically a 32 bit operating; systems cap is roughly 3gb… 64 bit operating systems are much more lenient to NorthBridge over clocking which will let you pull higher Hrz rates, and many higher end mobos can now FORCE higher ram amounts to be utilized through drivers.

and in all seriousness… ur right… future creep can be applied to almost anything, lol

Michalis, Love 75% of the work you show. Would like to try to get you to team up at some point for a few projects. To be continued

He makes a single troll post and the rest of the forum users take care of the rest, eh? Why hasn’t he been banned yet? I’m sure he enjoys stirring shit up every time.

He hasn’t been banned yet because he is partially right ! only the way he says it is just irritating !