Who makes good optimized trees / grass / plants?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but…

I have an add-on that slows my system WAY down even when I add a relatively small number of trees or other plants… (don’t want to point fingers because maybe I’ve missed something for viewport speed…)

Anyway - can anyone recommend “fast” efficient trees / bushes / other vegetation? At least in terms of ability to view as low poly or proxy so I can navigate my viewport at more than 1 fps…

thanks

Who makes good optimized trees / grass / plants?

Nature.

1 Like

Hi Turner,

You might want to try Alpha Trees [$], not free but it’s supposed to help with this kind of thing.

1 Like

Yeah - I’ve been looking at that. Looks like you still need 3d trees that are “divided up” properly.

Also - I can’t quite figure out how it handles lighting direction.

Still, pretty interesting.

Hey, I’m the developer of Alpha Trees, if you have any questions, feel free to ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Andrew -

Thanks for the note! Yes, I’m interested in knowing 1) if it essentially requires the user to have tree and other assets ready-to-go, 2) how it deals with lighting direction - the images look great, and I assume it’s generating some kind of 360˚ views of them? and 3) If this can also be used for large areas of foliage such as cornfields, tall grasses, etc.

Would love to see a video or something explaining these if there isn’t already.

Also - I’m assuming any type of models can be used, not just trees. Like, you know… refrigerators, or people, or buildings… :slight_smile:

1. The add-on comes with 15 trees already to use, which work well for most situations, but you can also convert your own 3D tree models into alpha trees. Once this is done, you don’t have to use the 3D model, and your scene will be much more responsive. In the next update I’m expanding the built in library to about 150+ trees, which should make it unnecessary to generate your own trees for most

2. The tree images actually only use one viewpoint. The magic is that it also makes a normal map which can then be used to fake lighting with a fancy material. The idea is shown here (but I have improved it quite a bit in the add-on):
    https://youtu.be/aLVodLos41Q

3. At the moment, alpha trees is only designed for trees (changing in the near future), but you could definitely use it for stuff like grass or even people. Buildings are a bit of a long shot, bit you could give it a go.

The plan for the add-on in the future is to make it officially support other types, but that will probably be in a few months at least.

All these updates will of course also be free upgrades.

Hope that clears things up :slight_smile:

1 Like