Who uses OpenOffice 2.0?

read above. . … just curious

i have been using it since 1.9 (2.0 betas)

its been great. sad thing is autosave was never activated by default on any of the older versions. rendering it 100% useless when needed.

autosave in the betas was soo terrible that it would wipe a perfect version of the file, with a 1 hour + older version if you recovered a file after a crash. no time stamping or anything :frowning: dunno if that issue wtill exists.

great piece of software, few button placements are total bollocks but good all round.

i think openoffice.org impress is rather neglected though.

Alltaken

I got still the open office 1.1, but it’s all I’ve needed. It’s fantastic it’s free :stuck_out_tongue: .

You do know that OpenOffice 2.0.1 was just release, right? :slight_smile:

I’ve been using openoffice and before that staroffice for about 5 years. It’s good, really I’ve not had much to complain about.

I know it was released, I just heard it was kinda slow, in some stuff. Is it?
I didnt bother to get the new version, that’s only the reason I still have 1.1.

I use it. I love it, it’s great.

I set it up on the church secretary’s computer, because a lot of people at church use Word Perfect, and she couldn’t open their files because she only had Word. Fixed that in a jiffy!

I use Neooffice:

http://www.neooffice.org/

The official open office for OS X runs under the crappy X11 environment and it has to use it’s own set of fonts, which wastes tons of space. Neooffice is native and supports built-in fonts.

i love MS word. i use it everyday.

it is so great when you write a thesis paper include some images
and after around 60 to 120 pages the file gets corrupt or
word cannot open the file at all anymore.

na just kidding, actually i use os x text tool to write text cause i
always set it later in in design :wink:

how is your neooffice experiene on os x with java?
does it run fast and smooth? the font access is a big plus.

claas

It’s really been remarkable to me just how good OpenOffice is. I’ve put it through tough projects, multi-hundred-page catalogs and such, and it’s just … done it all, withoug a quibble.

Really, I have never understood why the “Word Processor wars” stopped. It’s as though the rest of the world just rolled over and died, and left the entire marketplace to Microsoft … as though no one else existed, or could. And the MSOffice product promptly stopped getting better because there was no longer the impetus to do so. It’s been that way for a long time now, such that people view OpenOffice with … how do I put it, suspicion?

Latex is better:)

LaTeX is amazing! :smiley:
But it has no spreadsheet, so yes I’m using OOo

It takes about the same time to launch as OpenOffice 2. It’s not very responsive but the typing feels faster than OpenOffice under X11. It would be better IMO if they used Cocoa for the interface and used the openoffice base. I’m not a big fan of Java or OS X’s X11 at all.

I don’t really use neooffice that much for critical documents because it is too slow. I just use it for opening/translating word documents and sending files in .doc format when people absolutely must have them in that format %|. I actually use LaTeX for critical stuff and output pdf. I used that for my university papers.

Plain text is just so much faster to deal with. I like being able to split stuff into chapters too and compile it all together. I remember at university, people were having so many problems with their reports using Word. They were even using much more powerful machines than me. They swore they would use LaTeX for future projects.

It has problems of its own but I prefer it.

For spreadsheets, people can try this:

http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/unix/software/spreadsheet2latex/

i cannot understand why people use word anyway. it is actualy realy the worst program. instable, incapable, and unfriendly.

i could only underdstand that because of MS agressive and successful marketing people sticked to it. MSword somehow grew to a standart very quickly. everybody uses it because everybody uses it.

i was working at a school and they used ragtime there. they secretaries were vrey happy with it but than they got PCs and were forced to use word because everybody else uses word and not ragtime, so they could not open ragtime, which makes sense in this case.

ragtime is anyway a great application and because it is free for personal usage for os x and windows i can only recomend it. it is very powerfull offers great typographical features which i always look for. it is a frame based system. imagine indesign and excell together. thats ragtime.

and in the industry you cannot wast time on converting documents. so everybody new well bought word as well. i am happy to see that like here in the US some states ruled that the gov has to use the opendoc format for document exchange. this opens the possebility again to better apps which support opendoc like openoffice. but i doubt that this will change a lot for MS.

well at least it makes me always smile when somebody is frustrated with word :wink: “what there is something different than word? i did not know that” belive it or not quite some people thought there is ONLY word.

to hard to use google and wordprocessor i guess :wink:

OpenOffice 2 feels much faster than OpenOffice 1.1.x (and much cleaner too!)

Also, OOo2 has a simpler interface plus it uses the OpenDocument Format natively. I love OOo2 much better than OOo 1.1.x. I used the beta builds of 2.0 when they first started to release them.

I use it sometimes but I prefer ms word

Over here, in most states, you can only use free software. The economy made was huge.

Open Office has that nice “to pdf” button. It’s very usefull.

the problem is pdf export is not pdf export. from my experience not many apps which support pdf export also produce a good pdf file

did you say you can ONLY use free software in some states?

claas

What happend was this. Microsoft allowed only one, ONE, (1) shop to sell their products in Brasilia (The Federal Capital).

And software for the federal gov HAD TO BE BOUGHT THERE, so they had very, veryyy high prices.

So, fortunatly our culture minister is not a brainless person that thinks “free” is “hacker” ou dangerous ou pirate, and things started to change.

OF COURSE, if you have a software that only run on windows, and there’s no alternative, they you can have it, but only special cases.

The Army is migrating to Linux for a few years now. Now I think they’re helping the Air Force. Same to universities.

The amount of money that is saved in the end of the year can help other people other than some softhouses :slight_smile:

after a little searching on the net

"Brazil: The spirit of community
By Ingrid Marson, ZDNet (UK)
Published on ZDNet News: November 14, 2005, 5:41 PM PT

Part of a special feature on open source and developing nations,
a look at what the Brazilian government is doing in alternative software.

Spotlight project:
The Brazilian government may distribute 1 million laptops running open-source software to local schools. In January, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology launched a project to build low-cost Linux-based laptops for the developing world. The Brazilian government is considering building 2 million of these laptops, half of which will be distributed to local schools, and is investigating the finances of the scheme.

Summary
Open-source software has been deployed by the federal, state and city governments in Brazil, although the states and cities have been more progressive, according to Ronaldo Lemos, the director of the Centre for Technology &: Society at the Fundacao Getulio Vargas law school in Brazil, which recently advised Brazilian government on the its open-source strategy.

“Before the Federal government embraced free software, there had been initiatives at the city and state levels that helped to pave the way for a broader program,” Lemos said.

There have been a number of large-scale migrations in Brazilian states. For example, the state of Parana is migrating 10,000 government employees from proprietary software to a customised version of the open-source collaboration application eGroupWare, and Sao Paulo has deployed Linux on 16,000 PCs and 1,000 servers in schools across the state, Linux distributor Mandriva said.

Some federal government agencies have also migrated to open-source software, with seven of the 22 federal ministries reportedly using it. This includes a number of open-source desktop deployments–for example, OpenOffice.org is run on 4000 seats in the federal government, said Erwin Tenhumberg, a product marketing manager at Sun Microsystems.

The Brazilian federal government has drafted a bill that would mandate the use of open-source software by public departments. This decree would force government departments to migrate to the software unless they can justify the continued use of closed-source products.

A few Brazilian states and municipalities have already passed laws that require public administrations to give preference to open-source software, including the states of Espirito Santo and Parana, and the cities of Amparo, Solonopole, Ribeirao Pires and Recife.

Jaques Rosenzvaig, who was the chief executive of Brazilian Linux vendor Conectiva, said in April that these laws have not affected the use of open source in these states, as they are not strictly enforced.

Francois Bancilhon, the CEO of Mandriva, which was formed from the merger of Conectiva and Mandrakesoft, agreed that in Brazil there is “more talk than action.”.

“There is still a gap between what politicians want to do and what administrations are willing to implement,” he said.

As well as legislative policies, the Brazilian government has also funded projects to research and promote the use of open source,. These include the CDTC (Centro de Difusao de Tecnologia e Conhcimento), a technology centre that provides training and support around open-source software.

The Brazilian government claims that the main reason for its adoption of open source software is to cut costs. “The number one reason for this change is economic,” Sergio Amadeu da Silveira, the head of Brazil’s National Information Technology Institute, told the BBC in an interview. “If you switch to open source software, you pay less in royalties to foreign companies.”

Lemos, who advised the Brazilian government on its free software strategy, agrees that saving money is a “very important” reason for the government. Other reasons for the government’s support of open source include the educational benefits from being able to access the source code, says Lemos. For example, this was seen when the Sao Paulo government set up community centres, known as telecentros, where people could access free software.

“The interesting thing that happened at the telecentros (in Sao Paulo) is that people not only started to use computers to browse the Internet, but also a significant number of people started to learn programming, by tinkering with the source code of the programs,” Lemos said. “Free software creates a community of skilled programmers, that later become an important asset for the country’s technological development as a whole. So the ’educational’ benefits are also an important factor leading the (Brazilian) government to adopt (free and open source) software.”

The adoption of free software by the public sector has also been driven by a large and active free software community in Brazil, Lemos said.

Redmonk analyst James Governor said that the Brazilian government’s enthusiasm for open source is partly due to a “strong distrust of American corporations” and partly for cultural reasons. “Brazilians are very community-minded and open source fits into that,” he said.
"

and a little older news

"The Brazilian Public Sector to Choose Free Software
Posted on Saturday, June 07 2003 @ 05:24:07 UTC by yama

News & Information Nameless writes:

Translated Summary by Gonzalo Porcel (http://www.gporcel.net)

Original Story can be read here:

http://www.hispalinux.es/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=209

Rio de Janeiro, 2 June (EFE) The Brazilian government plans to migrate from Windows to Linux 80% of all computers in state institutions and state-owned businesses, informed the daily newspaper “Valor”. This will be a gradual migration, that will begin with a pilot project in one ministry and which will be completed over a period of three years, according to official sources cited by the financial daily.

The goal of the migration is to save money by finding alternatives to expensive proprietary licenses. Highlighting the gradual phase-in approach that the Brazilian government has adopted, Sergio Amadeu de Silveira, the president of the National Institute of Information Technology, stated that “We are not just going to do a hasty migration”. He proceeded to say that “our main concern is the security and the trust of our citizens. The biggest resistance to any change comes from the existing cultural inertia”.

The government, De Silveira explained, created two weeks ago the “Chamber for the Implementation of Software Libre” to pave the way for the upcoming migration.

A small part of the 2,095 million reals (about USD $700 million) that the Brazilian government budgeted for information technology spending goes to Microsoft, owner of the Windows OS. The government’s decision to adopt Linux, according to De Silveira, will boost the popularity of the operating system among businesses and consumers. Moreover, it will foster the production of local software and “democratize access to knowledge”, said De Silveira.

Great news. Thanks for the translation!"

700 million dollars!