Who would like me to create a rigged character open use?

([email protected]) #1

it the moment i am very busy with learning maya. but i have looked arround and noted that alot of people tend to stear well clear of blenders animation due mostly to the fear of its animation stystem. i have been using max and maya for over two years now and am sure i can create quite a useful rig incorperating into it alot of run arrounds to make life easyer. i will need some help from time to time and this will be a learning jeorney for me. but i plan in the end to have a fully functioning rig for the community to use as well as an extensive tutorial about rigging and general animation principals in a 3D package blender or otherwise.

youll have to excuse my rather appaling spelling, grammar and what not. i am dyselxic so i have a hard time making sure im spelling things right. im sure you get the idea.

(Odjin) #2

a little clarification would be nice. what are you exactly afer? creating tutorials for blender riging and animating?

(AndyD) #3

I’ve been working a generic character for a couple of weeks for community use. He’s partially rigged but he needs help. If you want to take a look, see this thread:
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54229

He was made in 2.37a but can be opened in 2.4. The armature needs work (some/all might have to be deleted to match the new system)

He already has a bunch of vertex groups defined for the face and some RVKs have been made too. Feel free to have a go at making him useable.

([email protected]) #4

what i mean is. i will create a rigged character and donate the file for open use. and i will write a tutorial on how its done as well if people should feel that they would like to try and create one of their own.

(code_astro) #5

sounds good to me - Im soooo rubbish with rigging.
I have trouble with rigging and the tutorials seem to skip over things I find difficult during my rigging process.

If you would be so kind as to write a tutorial, Im sure a lot of people would find it useful.

here are points I find difficult:

*I have trouble with and cant quite understand is the IK stuff (cant think which part I got stuck on at the moment, but I found it a bit weird),

*making joints bend properly (without getting huge folds),

*the directions when trying to pose a model (I dont know if its my rigging or what, but my arms rotate and it really annoys me - I must have rigged wrong really.

*facial animations - how do I make sure I can rotate my eyes without moving the eyeball everywhere? (I havent tried as my arms tend to go all over the place, so got scared to try with eyes)

*linking of bones so that they interact with each other - walking should move the hips, but I cant get it to work.

– These are things I find difficult, although Im still very new with rigging (I get put off when I try and it all goes wrong)

(LetterRip) #6

It might be worthwhile to rig the new makehuman mesh, then the user will have a wide array of predone body types and can easily modify/customize it for their own needs.

LetterRip

(LetterRip) #7

A quick note,

Blenders animation system has historically been not too easy to use. Now it is extremely easy to set up a good rig and get decent weights, and doing RVKS (blend shapes) is now really easy, and manipulating the rig is far faster and easier.

So I’m sure that after this next release we will see a lot more people using Blender for animation.

LetterRip

(Artaures) #8

could a standard human, or i guess andy’s generic person, fully rigged and everything, be included in a release of blender, soley for animators to play with? I have not seen this in other 3d applications…but something new?

([email protected]) #9

lol trust me i know how daunting blenders animation system looks. blender lacks alot of the powers that maya and max can use hands down. im a rigging ninja in maya and just looking at blenders rigs make my head swim. the key to a good rig is making it fool proof. so this could be a challenge. what i want to see if i can do is see if i cant add something to all the blender animators setups. i noticed the system they use for controllers is a little shakey i dont know about how blender handles its controls yet to write a quicky but im working on it :stuck_out_tongue: also if anyone here knows anything about maya. is there a way to make up something along the lines of a set driven key in blender and where can i find info on it?

(LetterRip) #10

[email protected],

lol trust me i know how daunting blenders animation system looks. blender lacks alot of the powers that maya and max can use hands down. im a rigging ninja in maya and just looking at blenders rigs make my head swim. the key to a good rig is making it fool proof. so this could be a challenge. what i want to see if i can do is see if i cant add something to all the blender animators setups. i noticed the system they use for controllers is a little shakey i dont know about how blender handles its controls yet to write a quicky but im working on it :stuck_out_tongue: also if anyone here knows anything about maya. is there a way to make up something along the lines of a set driven key in blender and where can i find info on it?

Like I said, have a look at 2.40alpha2 (or current CVS) the animation refactor has brought Blenders animation capabilities very much in line with the best of the current animation software

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Blender_2.4_pre-release_notes
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Release_Notes/Animation

For your specific question IPO drivers in 2.40alpha2 is what you want

http://orange.blender.org/blog/licence-to-drive

There is a script for automated creating of the panels done by guitargeek which you can search the forums for (it will probably be included in Blender…)

I’m still working on getting the release logs into shape but those links basically contains all of the animation improvements information that has happened since 2.37a.

After you’ve read through the above, I would be interested in what you think Blender still lacks though from a skilled riggers perspective. I’m sure there is still plenty of room for improvement.

LetterRip

([email protected]) #11

i tend to find that as long as i can get something close to a set driven key i make the UI myself using nurbs. i might need to play with some python but im a big boy now so im sure i can handle it. ill look through those links thanks for the help. this is more about making an understandable and up to date full body rigging tute than it is trying to imporve on what blender already has. i know how rigging works and im SURE i can make it alittle easyer to get in to the door. you you know about bones can you pearent bones to controllers such as nurbs shapes?

(Enriq766) #12

no, please dont do it…

(nebx) #13

[email protected]: I don’t get the feeling that you have looked into the recoded animation system yet. If you have then please forgive me. Regardless the new system is pretty slick and even i’m able to grasp it :stuck_out_tongue:

I certainly could use some help though and don’t want to discourage anyone from creating a tutorial, especially since i’m a lazy tut-leech. But I don’t need a tutorial about the old animation system. No offence…

([email protected]) #14

well if you think there is a resourse that would help please post a link. i plan on making this quite comprehensive. i might actually break it down. although alot of what i write may seem very simple the idea is to make the idea of doing it less scary.

([email protected]) #15

i have a few questions. is it not possible at all to pearent a bone outside of its object? so there s no way to create control objects?

is there no way to contrain indevidual bones either?

thats all for now but im sure ill come up with some more

(AndyD) #16

Hmmm… :-? Bones can be constrained using the constraints panel in pose mode. Yes, they can be constrained to other objects. The new system also has some semi-automated features like auto-IK, targetless IK and Stride functions plus a bunch of bone rotation constraints and limits.

There’s not a lot of info on the new system yet. Look at blender.orgs release logs and wiki for the latest basics.

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Blender_2_40_alpha.598.0.html

(Mrdodobird) #17

DUDE! Yes! I’ve actually looked for one of those. That would be AWESOME!!!

([email protected]) #18

there are a few articles about rigging out there. the problem though is that there is very little about a whole rig. i found one about the arm and leg setup (the ones in the blender docs) but i think that if the blender community is going to increase the ammount of animation it puts out we need to be able to have a larger number of people access it. if ANYONE knows where there is a tutoral about a full bipedal rig then i could use the resourse. i need to know a couple of things. the docs for blender (thank god for them) are a little sparse on some of the info and tutorals are a little few and far between :P. i think we need something a little like the knowledge base but a little more intense. more like the old tutoral list in elysiun.

(vidar_nelson) #19

I actally don’t think that there are many tut’s for the new animatiuon system yet (It’s realy new you know). The one’s you’ve found are probably for the old system. I would recomend you to see the presentation of the animation system at the Blender conferance by bassam to get some idea of how it works:
http://www.blender.org/cms/2005_Videos.714.0.html

(Woodman5k) #20

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31839&highlight=nozzy+rig

here is a great rig created in an older blender version. Perhaps it could be of use.