Whoa, whoa..., Whoooaaa...!

The first time I heard about Blender was the day before yesterday; very, very exciting to see the work folks are doing, and nicely challenging to think about doing some myself. That the software is made available gratis cinched it for me.

I downloaded several tutorials and checked some out online; fairly discouraging, really. Something seems missing in most all the tutorials I’ve found. I worked a bit in software documentation in the 80’s, and I know how hard it is to predict the mistakes people will come up with. But there are some simple fundamentals to documenting complex software, like NEVER switching terms without warning or explanation. Probably there are assumptions, (another tried-and-true don’t-do in documentation design), and maybe not realizing how very NEW some of this stuff is to many.

The 30 + 30 minute Gingerbread Man (child’s play?) looked so do-able, but I inadvertently deleted the little guy over and over–three times. Couldn’t find out how to undelete him, so I just started again, and again, and…

I don’t have a three button mouse, and I’m resigned to a severe learning curve here, Are there any guides for real beginners at this art? I can see from the astounding results that Blender is a fine tool, being used by very talented artists out there. I understand that the early confusions are not uncommon. And I can see that people are trying to support the program.

Carving in wood or stone comes naturally to me, and I’ve been painting with acrylics for over 30 years, pen and ink work, etc. But I’m not yet up on the newer art technologies. I have an older laptop, Pentium II, that seems to handle the software well enough for now. When I get some basics down I’m sure to upgrade.

This artform looks like it could be amazing fun. The work I’m seeing is phenomenal. But I have this creepy feeling that there are three lost little Gingerbread guys somewhere in my machine, looking for the door back to Blenderland.

Any advice or suggestions about streamlining the curve would be a help.

Welcome to Blender. Here’s a link to a thread that may help.
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112026#112026

Paradox

Welcome in the fabulous world of Open source and Blender
and Welcome in Elysiun.

We realy like to help new pp out. just ask question(as you did).
I see from your long post that you are a bit confused about blender. completly new stuff this UI!

Get a basic grasp here: is see you got some problem with your mouse, by default the “emulate 3 button mouse” is on in the property. so when they talk about midlle button, just press ALTKEY and left mouse button.

About learning it. I strongly suggest all the stuff available from www.blender3d.org under infocenter -> using Blender. And the book you already found it seem. from there, just ask question, and try.
For a less confusing start i would suggest to focus on part by part. start by understanding the UI. How it work and all. It got a lot of secret in it. for exemple number imput have up to 5 way to interact with it. and it dont behave the same if you click on the left and if you click on the midlle. by mouse or cursor., the UI is pottentialy more complex than a simple “click to activate” Windows style.
And the rule is: one hand on the keyboard, one hand on the mouse. You need both at the same time in Blender.

This is your thread, feel free to reply and ask question to make you entrance in Blender less plaintfull.

What terms were switched?

Pressing the u key should bring him back. If all else fails, don’t save it and just reopen the file. There are also temp files kept on your hard drive.

:o A PC user without a 3-button mouse! Mac user gets camera ready

You should really consider getting a 3-button mouse with a scroll wheel. It makes things so much easier and the Microsoft Intellimice are dirt cheap. You can use the scroll wheel to zoom.

Oh oh, you sound like my Grandad when he’s trying to program his video recorder. Never mind, this 3D stuff is hard for any newbie. Just remember it’s not the software that’s the block. 3D in general has a learning curve.

My advice would be to just stick with manual and follow it through. However, I spent a 6 months working through tutorials and then discovered I didn’t know how to do anything when I started a project of my own. That’s the best if not only way to really learn 3D. Make your own mistakes and figure them out yourself.

But get a 3-button mouse if not a new machine. Although machines are fast these days, 3D is their nemesis. It just kills everything.

A three button mouse isn’t required for the program, if you don’t have one the program won’t be impossible then. And I do advise you wait to do serious stuff until the soon to come release of 2.35 because there’s some big workflow upgrades coming in that version.

I don’t think he will reach the limits of 2.34 that soon.

Welcome to Blender.

howdy and nice to have a beginner who can speak english and knows how to write a post.

I agree that the best way to get yourself started in Blender is not to follow a complete tutorial like Gus, but rather to start out by pressing random buttons until you find what you want. The interface really is quite intuitive, once you realize the basic workings.

Think of something fun to model, but simple. I would say do a cup, or a cd case, or a dice. Just have fun and keep it simple, like any other art form. Work on learning all the techniques till you have a perfect still life of a dice and a cup on a table, learn how to render it, and then be proud of that. I goes uphill from there.

EdG: welcome! This tutorial helped tremendously in my beginnings.

http://www.d.umn.edu/~dhomich/training/basic_training.zip

There are many more to be found in the “Blender General” forum.