Who's still using 2.25?

I’m wondering what version of blender most poeple are using, I’m assuming it’s 2.35. Not me however, i’m still using 2.25 becuase i started my game a while ago, and alpha faces like grass etc, using the BGLalpha script to fix them, which works quite nicely. In 2.35 this script doesn’t work right unless i turn the llogic tic rate to 100, which slows the game down a lot. plus, turning my alpha faces into “alpha” faces gets slow and screwy since some of them over lap. Should I try to convert the game to 2.35 or just stick with 2.25?

u should try to convert, cause there will be future improvements and bug fixes hopefully, on the gameengine

I was trying to convert, but there’s far too much to fix. Since our game is divided into chapters, perhaps chapter II will be made on 2.35. Here’s a screen of the aplha glitch in 2.35, the pine tree and the grass edges are separte objects, yet they stil overlap.

http://johnpeb.dyndns.org/~joelm/aplhabug.jpg

You can fix that by applying a material to the object and clicking ztransp.

Jason Lin

I’m still using 2.25 for amy game because the game has a lot of problems in the new versions.,. so I decided to continue this game in 2.25 and then later begin another with the new version., :wink:

im using 2.25.

not me… what’s wrong with 2.35?

I still have 2.25 on my HD. I do not use it much becasue I have not come up with a complete game or walkthrough yet. But since the web plugin is not being changed for the post 2.3x game engine and from what I have read it does not seem as though it is going to be, I will keep using 2.25. My whole purpose in using blender from 4 years ago was to do interactive 3d web sites and since now it is the 3d program that I am most confortable with I will keep 2.25 until/if the web plugin is upgraded.

Thanks Goldentaiji, it appears a bunch of people are still using 2.25, so I’m gonna post a mircodemo of my game, and it still works in 2.35 (expect the alpha script)

There is nothing wrong with it, just still using 2.25 lol… Most reasons is becaus people have started on a game in 2.25 and they think it is to much work to convert it to 2.35

I’m frustrated because the 2.25 version has a bunch of bugs that annoy me, but 2.35’s engine is too darn slow to run the sort of games I want to make. Any ideas?

I use both, I also wrote some info down why 2.35 is slow. Anyways here some info.

I use 2.25 for my old files to open them and make them available for 2.35. I also use 2.25 for playing some old games, but further I don’t do anything with it. Ooh and I use it for the multiplayer project.

I also use 2.35, it’s even faster then the engine from 2.25. It handles a lot more actors, meshes then 2.25 does. But people still complain that the 2.35 engine is slow. Well the reason is, because people use old tests from 2.25 and open them in 2.35. And suddenly the 2.35 engine slows down like hell. This is because the 2.25 files are INCOMPATIBLE with 2.35. That means, 2.35 doesn’t handle those blend very well as well as the physics and logic bricks.

How to make 2.35 run faster?
When I used this engine for the first time, it was a little choppy when you made a game. I fixed this using someones posted python TicRate script that highers the 30 hetz used in 2.35 up to 60 hetz. A lot better, no choppy game anymore and acts almost the same as 2.25 you won’t see the difference.
Right now I’m using the latest build 2.36 beta, which has some fixes. I recommend to switch to 2.35 and use 2.25 only for your old blend files or watch how they where setup if you want to make the same thing in 2.35

How faster is 2.35 compared to 2.25?
Well here a little example: I created a tower build with actors with box bound. Around 25 cubes as actors where put on each other like a tower. Then I shoot a sphere actor on it and watched the tower colapsing. The average fps in 2.25 using sphere boud was like 4fps. In 2.35 using box bound it almost stayed around 70 fps.
I also tested an old fps test that was shooting a lot of added planes with alpha. In 2.25 the fps drops and goes up then drops again between 12fps/50fps. In blender 2.35 this was all time 85fps, incredible fast.

Anyways, the games I create from scratch now, will be made in 2.35. The games I continue on (old ones) I make them in 2.25 because I’m too lazy to convert them. In the future there will be more features added to the current new game engine. I also was that kester is going to fix a lot in 2.36 official blender, hopefully some more bug fixes that causes a little drop in fps. Further I really like the new engine afther understanding how it works and why the fps dropped. Also using the TicRate pythonscript is recommend when you make a game in 2.35 :smiley:

:smiley: I don’t use 2.25 anymore. Ever since they reinstated the game engine in the the 2.33 version I never looked back. Hmm, you should be able to remake or rewire stuff from the 2.25 game to make it run smoothly in 2.35. The only question is do you have the time to make all those changes.

I think if you know the game engine and python good enough, you can really implement anything and with some effort redo your games so it’ll work on the newer versions. :wink: Always look ahead.

Hehe, there should be a person or some super in depth tutorial that can teach you how the game engine works. Cause no matter how much I think I understand it, I ask and I find out that there’s some extra function that Blender can do it simpler and more efficient. Then it’s back to the thinking board. Hmm, there are a couple of people around here who are real close to Blender Gods or Demi-Gods who know a lot about the game engine…

Jason Lin

JD-multi:
Do you know a trick for redoing your stuff from 2.25? Let’s say you have a level which want to use in a new game that you are making in 2.35…do you know what it is in the old 2.25 files that is causing the slowdown? Or could we open and old 2.25 file in 2.35 and then save it as a different file making it a 2.35 file.

I just don’t understand how or what is causing this change in how the game runs when starting from scratch will fix it.

I don’t if I don’t have to, but sometimes I have to look at some old .blends that can’t be opened in the newer versions.

When I last looked at 2.25, the GUI gave me the creeps because of the lack of many new buttons and the different hierarchy of the windows.

Hush wrote

JD-multi:
Do you know a trick for redoing your stuff from 2.25? Let’s say you have a level which want to use in a new game that you are making in 2.35…do you know what it is in the old 2.25 files that is causing the slowdown? Or could we open and old 2.25 file in 2.35 and then save it as a different file making it a 2.35 file.

I just don’t understand how or what is causing this change in how the game runs when starting from scratch will fix it.

The best thing to do is, appending your meshes and objects from the old blend file, and set up the logic bricks from scratch. Even better, just redo everything in the new engine, just open the game in 2.25 and open de 2.35 engine and begin to copy that game exactly in 2.35 by redoing modeling, logic setup. Things like meshes, scripts, textures and so on, are always recycleble (how ever you spell it)
Personally I redo everything because sometimes redoing everything, then the game could be even improved a lot. :slight_smile: