Why am I losing details with Principled BSDF

Hey everyone,

I used Polycam to create a detailed capture of a piece of chicken, with the crumb details, texturing etc.

When I set the shader as an Emission shader I get all the details showing up, even the fine ones which is what Im after,

However when I set the Shader to Principled, I get this lumpy, clay looking thing and lose all the detail.

What am I doing wrong?

Emission is great but I can get shadows and lighting to work with it obviously but going with anything else, I don’t get the shadows.

Can anyone suggest a work around?

Post node setup/setups.

Probably just increase the value for the sss. Not sure how many maps the 3D scan gives you but the roughness is an important part too.

your lighting looks particularly harsh, maybe adjust your illumination?

Also increasing whatever bump/normal map you are using might help.

3 Likes

This is the current node setup Ive got going on.

These are some of the perils of photogrammetry. Even with perfect source images, The resolution of your geometry will always be lower than the resolution of your textures. This means that the textures will contain way more detailed, small features (like every crack and crumb on that delicious fried chicken), but the geometry just isn’t actually there. In a lot of cases, you can get away with it. But in this particular case, where you have a hard, sharp light source, the shadows will reveal the geometry, no matter how your shaders are setup.

More SSS might help, But I think your best bet would be to get softer lighting to hide the undersampled geometry.

4 Likes

Alternatively to what @SterlingRoth proposed you can make very high res model with photogrammetry and bake mid-res detail to either height map or normal map, depending on the final model resolution you aim at.

1 Like

I haven’t done any photogrammetry, and maybe there’s some peculiarity of the node setup here I’m not grasping, but why would chicken have a metallic value?
Also, it’s my understanding that occlusion maps aren’t necessary in Cycles, so its inclusion seems weird. As though its purpose is to add fake self-shadowing in the base color?

2 Likes

If you have channel packed metallic and roughness you need to split them to appropriate channels with the “Separate RGB” node. Although, in this case, the chicken isn’t metallic either way so if the channel is blank it might end up with the correct output anyway.

where did you get this nodes set up ?

not certain why there is a metallic node UV Image for a chicken !

did you try to remove the metallic input ?

happy bl

1 Like

Yeah it is strange that there was a metallic node however that’s what Polycam supplied.

The workaround I ended up going with was 2x renders, the first using the Emission shader so that I captured all the details. Then the second was a Principled shader render with a plain light grey texture so I could capture the shadows. Then I composited it in Photoshop and blender the two with some highlights and shadows etc, colour correcting to get to the below result.

1 Like