Why Cycles-X and not Eevee?

I dont know why noone understand you and keep acting against you :(( But I feel you :)) just know that : )

1 Like

You’ve just simplistically framed this discussion as ‘for or against raytracing in Eevee’, but that’s not accurate at all.
I want raytracing in Eevee.
I think OP wrote a bad post.

The two opinions can exist in one person so are in fact not opposite.

5 Likes

Not everyone has good hardware and its the future

Well for actual RT raytracing you have to use a modern GPU. I burned an old one by trying stupidly to activate raytracing on UE4!
What you say is the future of Eevee I believe. As you mentioned, Vulkan will open this kind of possibilities, so it’s in the radar afaik. I bet it won’t be just “CyclesX raytracing” some passes into Eevee, but eventually some kind of raytracing will leverage shadows, AO reflections and refractions. Maybe GI? Not sure but…

Anyway, the base mistake you made is

I dont know why noone understand you and keep acting against you

Nobody is against GCCharb (I’m speaking for everyone if you don’t mind), we are just pointing against the assumptions he made in his/her posts here.

9 Likes

I see that this thing is still going, it always made me laugh whenever I saw Blender’s users go bananas whenever someone has the nerve to question anything Blender!

There are several reasons why most studios won’t use Blender for medium to large production other than for game productions, and why Blender will never become the standard, despite what those who never used any other 3D software than Blender keep claiming!

The first reason is that Blender just can’t handle large scenes, Blender chokes whenever you feed it too much data, something I had to deal with all the years I used Blender, that alone makes Blender a no no for most studios where FX are getting more and more complex.

Medium and large studios uses teams, peoples who specialized and use the best software for their trade, and while Blender can do many things, it is not the best at anything, Blender landscape generator is a joke, it is not the best at modeling, texturing, sculpting, rigging, compositing, FX, and so on!

And there are many things Blender just can’t do, like a proper way to use mocap, or crowd animation, and the list goes on!

I see Blender users go bananas over the geometry node, making claims saying that Blender is now as good as Houdini, which is laughable, the geometry node only touches the surface of what Houdini can do, and Houdini has been at it for 25 years now!

There is one thing that really sets Blender apart IMHO, and that’s Eevee, a fast, high quality, almost real-time render engine, Eevee with ray-tracing would really make Blender stands out, instead of it being laughed at by most of the FX industry!

But what makes me really laugh here, is that Blender users get into the hype of Cycles X, because Cycles X is only that, hype, nothing else, because Cycles X is only a project to optimize Blender’s main render engine, that’s it!

All the makers of render engines work at optimizing and adding features to their render engine, but only in the Blender community do people make a big thing of it, shouting Alleluia, Blender is now the holly grail of all 3D software!

Again, to me, it is clear that the Blender Institute doesn’t put these resources on Eevee development, even though it would benefit the vast majority of Blender users to have Eevee with ray-tracing, because Eevee would then directly compete against Unreal!

And why the Blender Institute doesn’t want to compete with Unreal, again, and this is only my personal opinion, it is because Epic Games, the owner of Unreal, donated 1.2 million in Blender development!

Ton Roosendaal may say what he wants, but the fact remains that 70% of Blender development comes from corporations, and having been part of the industry for over 30 years, I know for a fact that this type of support comes with a price!

1 Like

Repeating the same personal opinion x17 on this topic won’t turn it into a fact somehow, it stays a personal opinion, and I think people are intelligent “enough” to get it from the first post, and they already answered your question from all possible angles, you just have to accept it and move on with what you are doing (while waiting for such implementation to happen when it…happens, just like I’m waiting for physics improvements, following this topic I started a few months ago).

5 Likes

Hello! I don’t think blender users go bananas when people criticize the software, everbody knows blenders has flaws.
It’s mostly the attitude of those who criticize and the way they do it. Taking your post as an example, you are making assumptions from personal experiences that may not be everyone’s case. You are also questioning how the funds are invested without any real base, and also you laugh at blender users while bashing the software they use (and presumably also you), and all this because EEVEE is not the main development focus as per your needs, and it will make blender fall into oblivion for the FX industry.
I don’t think this is the most constructive approach to talk about anything, and while there is nothing explicitly offensive in your comment, the attitude in it and all the unreal theories makes your post of a 30 years experienced artist look like a teenager’s rant.
Voidium gave you a good advice, just accept it and move on while waiting for the improvements or, if you are in a hurry, maybe you can contribute yourself to the code.

4 Likes

You can quite easily find people with extreme views all over the internet. Those are usually the loud ones which get attention.

This is completely unrelated to the topic of this thread. Not sure why you would bring that up. Almost seems as if your goal was to trigger some people with this…

Some people make outrageous claims, so what?

Eevee is great and it might be that it is more important for you than for others. There is no particular reason to stretch this towards being (potentially) outstanding towards the industry.

There is hype because it optimizes Cycles. So what? It is a significant step forward when it comes to performance and the Cycles users seem to like that.

That might be your perception, but I am not seeing that.

That’s your opinion. Feel free to provide any evidence for it, other than your assumptions.

As previously stated, Nvidia is also a sponsor and they would clearly love it to showcase if Eevee had raytracing capabilities. As long as you don’t have any actual evidence, this remains a conspiracy theory.

5 Likes

Maybe there is something to be said for: “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.”

What you have here is a cooperatively-developed, fully featured 3D package which costs you absolutely nothing – even though it does “cost money” to develop computer software at this level of complexity.

It is "a project," with all the project-management and resource-allocation issues that come with that. Maybe you don’t see any of it, but managers like Ton certainly do. There are too many potential development efforts and not enough experienced people. Milestones must be carefully laid out, systematically achieved, and thoroughly tested before release. Some “customers” will be overjoyed; others will inevitably rant. But the project management has to look beyond all that, pick the next destination off the charts, and steer the entire vessel towards it while avoiding the rocks. It’s not as easy as it looks.

Even though the Blender team has chosen to “never charge money,” the project management (and yes, funding) concerns are the same for Blender as for any other [commercial …] software product in this field.

Your financial contributions to the Blender Foundation do make a difference . . .

3 Likes

At this point I’m wondering if this guy is just a troll lol.

9 Likes

I have been part of this community for years now, I have contributed over and over, so no, this guy is not a troll!

So now, instead of attacking me personally, why not express your opinion on what I wrote, which is my own opinion?

1 Like

Hi Gilles, yours was a courageous and honest intervention.
I also hope that you will not simply be attacked but that we can start a nice open confrontation.
On many things I agree with you, but the fact that it is not yet a SW used in the Large Industry Production does not mean that one day it cannot be.
Being objective and clear-headed about which are the focal points on which to intervene is the first step that will take Blender to a higher level.
The investment is there, not just economic.
I am confident.
I just hope that we can fix the management of millions of polygons and improve Cycles in the management of shaders (for example glass which is something terrifying and also metals or displacement …) and on global lighting…
I repeat, I am confident.

1 Like

Except, it isn’t, is it. It’s a “from the ground up” re-write of cycles, with optimisations not possible in the original code base being implemented.

If it were merely an incremental upgrade, your comments would have some merit, but as it is, your comments are simply diminishing the efforts of Brecht et al for the amazing work that they are achieving in a short space of time (remember, this project is only six months old).

3 Likes

Your original rant didn’t belong here, that’s why it was split off into another topic. What makes you think this is once again the right place to post the exact same unfounded accusation?

3 Likes

Yep - not to mention that it should allow many enhancements to Cycles functionality - enhancements that are difficult or impossible to implement in the current Cycles code.

Cycles-X isn’t just about making cycles ‘a bit quicker’.

2 Likes

Some of the code may be rewritten, yeah, but when the project is complete, Cycles X won’t really do anything more than OG Cycles did, it will just do it somewhat quicker. Which is great, and important, but definitely not at the top of the list of things that need improving IMHO.

1 Like

Well I’m very sorry, but you don’t seem to be taking any feedback into account or even acknowledging it exists. There are plenty of posts here replying to all of the points you’ve made, but to most you don’t give any real counter-arguments and instead just repeat the same provably false accusations and conspiracy theories.

3 Likes

Dude, I thought you were leaving?

If the only thing good about blender is eevee and it still isn’t good enough because it doesn’t have ray-tracing, why are you still here?

4 Likes

[quote=“anon54214979, post:127, topic:1301879”]
The first reason is that Blender just can’t handle large scenes, Blender chokes whenever you feed it too much data [/quote]

As John Oliver would say, there’s a lot to unpack in your post. As a Houdini user, I agree with you that Blender is not Houdini just because of Geo Nodes. There is so much to Houdini that any comparison to it typically only means that such person has never actually used Houdini. Having said that, 99% of CG artists out there are not studios and they are most definitely not working on the next Marvel production. What I have realized is that an artist often doesn’t need the type of specialized tools that Houdini offers. As a one-man-army, I have little to no use for things like USD, PDG, massive crowd simulations, and so on. I also find myself preferring to spend a couple of bucks on Artstation and get a pre-made terrain than deal with the awesome Houdini terrain tools which are fantastic but not time efficient for what I need most of the time. I will also say that Houdini chokes as well with large data sets unless you’re doing a lot of instancing. This is why massive scene layouts are done in apps like Clarisse and not Houdini.

I see CyclesX to be very similar to Karma for Houdini. Karma is a code rewrite from the ground up of Mantra which is considerably slower and less efficient than even good old plain Cycles. The main difference that I see is that while Karma has been in development now for over three years and is still not where it needs to be for serious production work, there is a pretty reasonable chance that CyclesX will get there by the end of this year or middle of next year at the latest. Also while Karma is restricted to only being available within the TOPS/Solaris context (not sure WTF SideFX was thinking there) CyclesX is fitting right into the standard Blender workflow allowing users to pick up where they left off and keep right on trucking without having to relearn a whole new context.

Personally I see Houdini and Blender to be highly complementary of each other, and I would encourage artists in both camps to get familiar with the other app. People way smarter than me like the Entagma guys seem to agree.

5 Likes

Hi. We know of Blender’s struggle with large scenes, that is why it is very encouraging to see the devs. starting to take what appears to be a higher priority on performance (such as with editmode, dyntopo, geometry nodes, animation playback, ect…). There’s even signs of multires performance being on the table as a project for the near-future (as seen with a recent dev. article on the developer site).

It is true that Blender’s development efficiency has left a lot to be desired in previous years, but it seems to be improving with the new sprint model. A number of projects that were just started last year for instance (like overrides and assets) have been a lot of progress in the past couple of months.

4 Likes

LMAO, this is screencap tier. Going into my special folder.

5 Likes