Why did he have to jump?

John Skinner. He was the original founder of Project Aqua, a game that sparked from his mind 5 years ago.

November 29th, 2005. He went up to the Golden Gate bridge. He gave his life there, let the seas swallow him up.

His first AIM screen name was quazinovae.

www.quazinovae.com

Damn, so sorry to hear that :frowning: . My condolences to his family and friends.

Gah…I hate when these things happen :frowning:
My sympathies to those who knew him.

I know people go by this thread and feeling sorry but not having the words to say it. What should a person write in a tragedy like this. It seeems that the words are not enough to help. Word for word and it builds up.

I hope he´s in a better place.

Yeah, he didn’t have to, he chose to. Big difference.

I did’nt know the guy or anything, but I suspect he might have had some depression problems.
If so, then no (AROtotheN) he did’nt have a choice, deppression is a disease.
Just from personal experience I can say that when someone decides to kill themselves allot of times it’s because in their mind they had no other choice, they could see no other way out, but when on medication you don’t have that problem, you think more clearly.

Anyway, no matter how a person dies it's still a life, that was loved and missed by someone, that's what really matters, remember them for how they lived not how they died.

I’ll second Friday13’s comment My sympathies go out to the people who knew and loved him.

I’ve never heard of John Skinner or Project Aqua. I guess I give my condolences too, even though they really won’t make a difference. All PC aside, I don’t really care that much. We’re all gonna die anyways, and he was unhappy. Sucks for those that knew him, though, no doubt. Besides, in my opinion, the worth of the human life is debatable. Would I like to die today? No. But neither would that cow that you ate for lunch. And no, I’m not a vegetarian. I love eating cows :).

That’s the weird thing about suicide, Most of the time it is due to extreme depression caused by selfishness. If you are constantly thinking about your problems and your pain then things really seem bad.

We’re all gonna die anyways, and he was unhappy

Very true, but what happens after that? For some (such as myself) it will mean the begining of the best part of our life. For others…it would be better if they were never born.

I was going to say something like that but I didn’t want people thinking I was trying to be cruel instead of honest. I agree with everything you said. Well, except for wanting to die today, I really wouldn’t mind that at all. I hate my life. Seeing 5 minutes of an Olsen twins film today nearly pushed me over the edge.

I don’t like when people generalise it like that as if life has to be the correct option and people only kill themselves because their judgement is clouded or they are acting irrationally. There’s no way you can know that. Yes, drugs can make you feel better but so can alcohol. Drugs and alcohol can also make you feel like killing yourself.

There are no easy answers when it comes to ultimate questions.

I don’t think I was generalizing, I was theorizing from my perspective, there are many reasons to kill yourself, but I do believe that generally people, after having time to consider, do not want to end their life. Allot of times it’s a cry for help.

If you spend most of your life thinking about killing yourself, there’s a ninety nine percent chance you need some counseling and and maybe some medication (be it short term or long term) that is not a natural thing.

there’s a ninety nine percent chance you need some counseling and and maybe some medication

And he doesn’t mean sitting round comisserating with your brother doing drugs and beer!

%<

My thoughts on suicide
if it ever gets that bad then I will move far away to a beech. I don’t know how Ill get there but I will. I can always make me.Then if the good life sucks. I’ll think about the bridge :smiley:

I was going to say something like that but I didn’t want people thinking I was trying to be cruel instead of honest. I agree with everything you said. Well, except for wanting to die today, I really wouldn’t mind that at all. I hate my life. Seeing 5 minutes of an Olsen twins film today nearly pushed me over the edge.

Glad to see that my comments were taken the way in which they were intended. I was somewhat worried that people would misunderstand.

As I said before, I have begun to question the value of the human life. In my search for meaning and truth and whatnot, I have not yet found a religion / discipline that seems to have the answers that I’m looking for. In effect, I begin to question the existence of a god, and consuquently, the value of the human life. If we really were created in what you might call a freak accident of the cosmos, then what value do we as humans have over bugs or vermin? We’re higher forms of life, to be sure. But how exactly does intellegence factor out to be worth? Just because we have the ability to say that we don’t want to die doesn’t really mean that we’re less expendable, does it?

In addition, I’ve been thinking about the lack of “herd-thinning” variables and how odd it is that it seems logical for the human population to multiply at an exponential rate and use resources faster and faster. (PLEASE NOTE: I have done no research into the actual growth of the world population so please correct me if I’m wrong.) Instead, we place an infinite worth on the human life, forcing us to keep even the weakest alive. In effect, the stronger members of the metaphorical herd are dragged down by the weaker, poorer ones.

I propose that one solution to hunger and poverty is to just bomb the hell out of ghettos. This, however, certainly not the “ethical” thing to do. In fact, I wouldn’t even go so far as to suggest it in reality. But would you agree that it would cut our losses, so to speak?

The point I’m trying to make here is not that we should kill people. I like people for the most part and I’d like to keep them around. The main question that I’m asking here is “are we just ‘making up’ the value of the human life?” and if so “can’t we change it if we feel like it?”

I leave this open for debate of course. I’m not saying one way or the other. I certainly believe that this issue is debatable…

And I apologize for this near-hijacking of the thread :slight_smile:

You may find this video lecture interesting: http://edison.ncssm.edu/programs/colloquia/bartlett.rm

Sorry for the off-topic-ness, and my sympathies to John’s loved ones and family.

I’ve never heard of Project Aqua, but I feel sorry for John and for all those who loved him. I know what depression is, and when one has that really it’s difficult to find motivation to live.

Do you have clinical data to back up this rather MASSIVE claim? Call it a hunch but I dont think you do. This sort of attitude is exactly why many people DONT seek help until they have at least attempted suicide.

My thoughts are with this individual’s friends and family.

Condolences,
Xarf

Do you have clinical data to back up this rather MASSIVE claim? Call it a hunch but I dont think you do. This sort of attitude is exactly why many people DONT seek help until they have at least attempted suicide.

…[/quote]

Zarf, you’re as legalistic as they come. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, I don’t think you can ignore the fact that [clinically] depressed persons don’t think in a healthy manner and are apt to make decisions without really thinking things through. While it may not be “most of the time,” it probably contributes to many of the deaths, but how do you prove something like that?

CDC article talking about assessing suicide in the state of Washington (USA, 1980-1995): http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00048601.htm

Excerpt from the editorial note:

Although reasons for these increasing trends in suicide are unknown, potential explanations include changes in the prevalence of depression, the use of more lethal methods, and changes in societal attitudes toward suicide among the elderly.

Obviously, if the man in question was depressed, he’d fit into this. Additionally, his case would fall under a “more lethal method,” but he obviously doesn’t fall into the last supposed category. My point in all of this is simply that depression is definitely a factor in some suicides, and, based on the data, the CDC is supposing that the increase in suicides (at least in Washington) are, to some extent, connected to depression.

It’s always disheartening to hear that someone has died, much more that someone took their own life,
–lir

I dont think you get my point. What I was taking issue with was his statement about most suicides being caused by people thinking ‘selfishly’. This is a load of horse crap and the type of thinking that makes people who are going to kill themselves too scared to seek help.

Suicide is what happens when peoples pain outstrips their coping skills. It is unforunate that in this modern age there are those who cling to such backwards ideas about mental health that they would characterize the pain of suicidal individuals as being purely ‘selfish’ in nature.

Regards,
Xarf

As much as I would like to argue with all of you till my nose bleeds on this subject,… maybe we should’nt do it in this thread?

I agree.

This isnt about whos right and whos wrong. This tragic outcome will not be solved by your chatter and it wont help the family and friends of the victim.

If you have anything to say let it be respectful and with condolences.