Why did you choose Blender?

Simply what the title of the thread says, why did you choose Blender over any of the other leading 3-D modeling programs?

its free, and because of the new interface in 2.5

1. It could do more than just model in 3d, it was a complete suite of tools for productions at the level I am at.
  2. Price point for purchase and installation was right for me
  3. Tutorials were easy to find and got me ahead of the game as long as I was willing to dig in and spend the time making mistakes
  4. Elysiun/Blenderartists was chock full of users that were willing to help at every turn
  5. Until reading posts here, I had no idea about the other packages available - it wasn’t until I saw discussion like this that I downloaded trials of other softs to see how they fit me

Blender keeps growing and I am very happy to watch the community grow with it.

Accessible to everyone and with the fine tutorials put out by Blender users, CG Cookie and the like makes it easier for people to learn. Plus this forum is full of very helpful people. I just hope I can gain the necessary skills to help out other like me someday.

Originally, I just needed to make a 3D logo for a client. I was only a 2D artist at the time and didn’t know anything about 3D - so it didn’t make sense to buy anything expensive just to generate a logo. Making the logo was surprisingly easy and it basically triggered my curiosity enough to dive in and really learn 3D.

If Blender didn’t exist, and wasn’t as powerful as it is, I probably wouldn’t have ever got into 3D in the first place.

Its free and has a game engine!

When I first discovered Blender I hardly even thought about 3D graphics and I figured it was for programmers and such, something that I would never bother with. I think I was actually looking for a 2d graphics app and found Blender, I played with it for a couple weeks then I ordered the Blender official 2.32 guide (I still have it!), I’ve been hooked ever since. I chose Blender because I didn’t know about any other program.

Because the name

Honestly, I couldn’t afford a new version of Maya when I left my old job & old PC behind. I was a modeller primarily at the time so, even though I tried Blender at the time, I actually picked up Wings3D, using Blender only when I absolutely had to loft a few curves for a project or import an odd format that was supported by Blender but not by Wings3D. Quite honestly, the interface was too hard to learn and far from intuitive at the time.

When Blender 2.5 hit the ground though, the interface became worth the effort for animation. The combination of improved animation tools and improved interface have pushed Blender from a niche tool to a core part of my workflow.

I simply can’t shell out thousands of dollars for 3d software. But even if I could, I wouldn’t buy commercial software now. Blender is a fine piece of software and I like to support it financially. It is a pleasure to see how its evolving these days.

Oh, and I think Autodesk needs a kick in the nuts.

Free powerful fits my needs mainly and runs on any platform and is quickly installed.

Because I found it to be the most comfortable thing to use.
It’s light, I can carry it around and use it on any computer I want, extremely easy to update, free, quick to use because of the short-cuts, is developed rapidly, etc.
Basically, that’s how I think all software should be.

I chose it because (personally) I find it easier to use than 3DS Max or Maya.

Because I can request new features, and I can say “I cant make good things because of the lack of the features”.

I cant do these with 3dsmax, Maya or XSI.

You can. No one is permitting you from doing so.

Endi. I think it’s time you use your old username. I see that you are back to your old habits. lol.

Me, too.

Also because of tutorials by (in alphabetical order):

• Beorn Leonard
  • Lee Salvemini
  • Nathan Vegdahl
  • Dave Ward
  • Jason Welsh
  • Jonathan Williamson

When I was having trouble getting past my Maya-inspired preconceptions, it was Jason Welsh who showed me how to ‘think Blender.’

It’s funny you say that. I watched a few of Jason’s tutorials, and thought his methods are strange and still deeply rooted in Maya. He often takes the long way around when there’s a simple Blender solution. It was a while ago, so I can’t quote any specific example, but I think there’s an opportunity here for someone who knows both Maya and Blender well to produce a better set of tutorials for (former) Maya users.

Because the community is awesome, the tool too, and is gettin closer to leader 3D apps for free, just donate if you want. Since Cycles+Bmesh implementation i found it could almost fits my needs (still lacks of some features but however they’re on roadmap).

Plus, a tool which can combine poly modeling+sculpting+texturing+rendering+compositing for free and without leaving the app is pretty jawdropping.

…and it’s really fast growing. Btw, i was thinking, how many active users does BA have? If really everyone would donate 5-10 euros at Blender Foundation we could get a super boost and kindly pay back developers for all their efforts. So many time I see developers posting patches and bug fixes at late evening on the revision log. Esteem for them.

What caught my attention was the fact that it was free, of course.

But what made me stay was a number of things:

• Low footprint (<100MB) and portability of the application. I have yet to see any other fully featured 3d package beating that.
  • The non-destructive nature of some modifiers like (for example) hair/fur.
  • Extensive UI and Keymap customization capabilities (after 2.5)
  • Versatility of the .blend file format - backward/forward compatibility, the ability to pack text and image files into the scene file and the fact you can use them as libraries.
  • Tools that normally require different applications like compositor, sculpt modeler, video editor, text/script editor, motion tracker, game engine etc. are all included in a single package.
  • It’s cross-platform
  • Quick feedback after submitting a bug report
  • Daily trunk builds.