Why do Blender have inbuild file browser?

I show’d Blender to my professional friend, who is working as web software developer and when he got his hands on Blender he was for while impressed, but then after for while he seemed little confused and said: “Why on earth do this program need to have it’s own file browser?”

I started figuring it out and actually I could not give him any satisfying answer to this question. Okay, I’m not Blender developer and my knowledge of developing is limited, but I have some experience on working with blender as an artist and I found it very boring that I got confused so easily from someone who has no experience at all.

I also tried to google some videos of other 3d-software and actually it seems that Blender is the only one software that I could find that has it’s own code used to search and open files. Could someone explain me the benefits. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Can all OS file browsers filter for different types of media
Can all OS file browsers preview blend files

When appending/linking you need a type of file browser with functionality built into no other OS (look inside a .blend file)

I also tried to google some videos of other 3d-software and actually it seems that Blender is the only one software that I could find that has it’s own code used to search and open files.
Search harder. Maya on OSX for example does not use Finder but it’s own custom file browser

Solidworks also have it’s own dialog for normal open/save operations, although it might use OS one for certain tasks.
Benefits? I guess custom content, mode of operations, and filters?

Okay, it might be just apple problem then? I think Windows has quite powerful browser to find files and open them. Little ago it could’ve also show thumbnails of blend files, but that feature is lost somewhere or I don’t know how to turn it back on to windows 10.

I do not know why from the beginning, but now I have understood that all related to Assets things to come are quite dependent on the integrated file browser:

Its normal for Autodesk software, On Windows, Autodesk suites are completely integrated to the OS. Not only the files browser / search who is the Window one… But the structure of software as let say Autocad is completely integrated in the OS. When you go on advanced configuration ( not only the CUIX ), but goes way deeper every thing you are doing open a Windows part… Basicallly Autocad use Window as a internal part of the data structure of the software, and vice versa.

Hence why with the limitation Apple enforce on his OS, Autocad, Revit and other Autodesk software are quite different and the OSX version is not including everything ( the versions are quite different. many things miss on the OSX versions )… Its surely less a problem with softs as 3Dmax as you dont forcibly go deep on the configuration of the software, but it was a big problem for Autodesk with other softs.

And i think remember this is exactly the same for, Solidworks, and other CAD softwares. ( with ofc big differences with OSX one ).

Now i can imagine it was way more easy on Blender to dont have multiple branch depending of the OS on this aspect.

there are MANY Desktop Managers
are you going to support ALL!!! of them
Microsft Windows Explorer
apples UI
konqueror
nautilus
Enlightenment
xfce
lxde

Does the windows file browser have a bookmark section?

what version
win 7 ?
Win 8 ?
Win 10 ?

– i think so , but i have been using KDE and Gnome for many years

thumbnails of blend files, but that feature is lost somewhere or I don’t know how to turn it back on to windows 10

See if this can help https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?372289-Blend-files-not-using-preview-thumbnails-in-windows-explorer

I actually did that just before I made the post, and I’t did not help in my case.

Does the windows file browser have a bookmark section?

I don’t know. This is the first time I’ve been trying to use such feature. What I mostly use is called “quick access”. It finds the latest files and folders I use mostly.

Yeah, there is the thing that is my problem as not developer and that makes me do this kind of questions online. I really was thinking that you just need to call the file browser from the software and then the feature will work as a slave to Blender.